Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410837 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4080 on: March 24, 2015, 06:22:08 AM »
I know a lot of people say that chicken soup is good but not entirely sure why chicken.  I can understand that getting a hot liquid inside you will make you feel better, and the vitamins and protein contained within will help strengthen your body, but why chicken?  Because it is cheap and people have packets of it lying around that store for a long time?  Perhaps?

Apparently chicken and vegetables have some kind of synergy properties:

"Using blood samples from volunteers, he showed that the soup inhibited the movement of neutrophils, the most common type of white blood cell that defends against infection. Dr. Rennard theorizes that by inhibiting the migration of these infection-fighting cells in the body, chicken soup essentially helps reduce upper respiratory cold symptoms. The researchers couldn’t identify the exact ingredient or ingredients in the soup that made it effective against colds but say it may be the combination of vegetables and chicken that work together. The tested soup contained chicken, onions, sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, carrots, celery stems, parsley, salt and pepper."
(Source)

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4081 on: March 24, 2015, 06:33:35 AM »
Hmmm, sounds kind of like a false cure then.  It stops some of the symptoms, but in doing so prevents the body from fighting the infection as effectively.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #4082 on: March 24, 2015, 07:52:34 AM »
the apocalypse is here
i'm also sick

it was in the middle of the danish lecture I realized three things
1) I literally don't understand anything that is being said, but neither do any of my classmates so that's okay
2) i'm shivering
3) i feel like lalli on a ship except i'm neither lalli nor on a ship so this is a bad sign

4) cough drops are so expensive even the cashier was startled because surely she was supposed to return more change than that?

so yeah im home now. im going to die under a pile of art history books. it was nice to get to know you all
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:18:31 AM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #4083 on: March 24, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
Oh no, I hope you guys get well again soon! If not and if the end is really here, well, am I glad I live in Iceland.

I also swear by oranges, lemons or any other source of vitamin C. Honey helps with a sore throat and soups of any kind are good because they're easy enough to eat even if you don't have any appetite left.

Btw the weather here has been great for a few days and I was wondering what happened to the non-stop snow storms, but I guess Haiz has them now. No need to return them anytime soon, keep them for as long as you like! I promise we can do ok without them for a bit. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #4084 on: March 24, 2015, 09:12:10 PM »
Hmmm, sounds kind of like a false cure then.  It stops some of the symptoms, but in doing so prevents the body from fighting the infection as effectively.

Neutrophils primarily attack bacteria, not viruses, but can cause inflammation that makes it harder to kill viruses. A treatment such as chicken soup that (supposedly, I'm not too sure that one small study really counts) reduces neutrophil activity would help the body deal with the virus, improve secondary symptoms and generally make people feel better.

Of course, if a "cold" turns out to be bacterial in nature then any real neutrophil inhibition could be counter-productive.
My one-and-only: :uk:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4085 on: March 25, 2015, 10:12:28 AM »
at which point is it appropriate to ask who's in charge of the tiny flags

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #4086 on: March 25, 2015, 10:48:39 AM »
at which point is it appropriate to ask who's in charge of the tiny flags
Any.  And it's me.
Reason I haven't uploaded an Czech flag yet is because the server won't let me. 
Once we make the move to the new server, I'll be able to upload more flags, including the Slovakian one someone asked me to upload months ago.  I've already tested it out on the test site, and they upload just fine.
Feel free to PM.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4087 on: March 25, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
Any.  And it's me.
Reason I haven't uploaded an Czech flag yet is because the server won't let me. 
Once we make the move to the new server, I'll be able to upload more flags, including the Slovakian one someone asked me to upload months ago.  I've already tested it out on the test site, and they upload just fine.
aaahhh yayy!! im so excited for my czech flag

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #4088 on: March 25, 2015, 12:43:09 PM »
aaahhh yayy!! im so excited for my czech flag
Can't wait to get it to you.  :)
Also, for the future, the Forum and Website board has threads for this sort of thing.  It's a handy little place!
Feel free to PM.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4089 on: March 25, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
Can't wait to get it to you.  :)
Also, for the future, the Forum and Website board has threads for this sort of thing.  It's a handy little place!
I know, I saw it, someone already asked for it there, and I was afraid to look like an obnoxious little kid that's too impatient or something. IN HINDSIGHT asking here was probably even more obnoxious. sorry^^"

I'm gonna blame it on the fact that I'm still sick and woozy and everything's kinda out of perspective, and I stayed at home and missed two lectures and idk how to absorb knowledge through books tbh

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #4090 on: March 25, 2015, 10:04:22 PM »
Yay, just spent a bunch of time drawing deer skeletons instead of studying chemistry like I really should be doing. I'm so good at time management and all...

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #4091 on: March 25, 2015, 10:07:23 PM »
Yay, just spent a bunch of time drawing deer skeletons instead of studying chemistry like I really should be doing. I'm so good at time management and all...
...and chatting with the others on the IRC chat, and just staring at the screen, F5ing away....
When I could've finished my english assignment hours ago. XP
My time management slipped as well, heh.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #4092 on: March 26, 2015, 04:10:46 AM »
I will just leave this here because it made my weird day better and might make someone else's weird day better, too.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4093 on: March 26, 2015, 05:57:31 AM »
I will just leave this here because it made my weird day better and might make someone else's weird day better, too.
this is beautiful
thank you

.... wow, did we break new forum visitor record yesterday? 80 people??

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #4094 on: March 26, 2015, 06:06:01 AM »
It appears so! But it is weird, because it's saying "Most Online Today: 25" and then "Most Online Ever: 80 (Today -insert time here-)". There is a discrepancy of 55 people there.

Also, you are most welcome.
Am notified of private messages via email.