Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387837 times)

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #4065 on: March 23, 2015, 10:40:59 AM »
it's spring!!
which means everything is mud

you'll know where to find me.

Curry

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #4066 on: March 23, 2015, 02:27:39 PM »
it's spring!!
[hilarity ensues]
Things like this makes me so glad I live in Florida. All I have to deal with is rain (and the occasional hurricane but y'know)
YEET

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4067 on: March 23, 2015, 03:36:48 PM »
Things like this makes me so glad I live in Florida. All I have to deal with is rain (and the occasional hurricane but y'know)

we have. all the weather. often switching very rapidly. like a battle of weather gods or something. Last week there was a day that started out sunny, then it rained, then the sun appeared, then it hAILED, and then a bit of a snowstorm..... why. why this. Also today it was so windy my earplugs were torn out of my ears. And while it is incredibly muddy, it's also very dry and dusty, from a distance it's hard to tell if my home lies in the middle of fog or a dust cloud.

the most annoying norwegian proverb is "there is no bad weather, only bad clothes!"
are you sure. ARE YOU SURE

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #4068 on: March 23, 2015, 03:39:46 PM »
it's spring!!

omg

That is the most accurate description of my life in Bergen I have ever seen

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4069 on: March 23, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »
we have. all the weather. often switching very rapidly. like a battle of weather gods or something. Last week there was a day that started out sunny, then it rained, then the sun appeared, then it hAILED, and then a bit of a snowstorm..... why. why this. Also today it was so windy my earplugs were torn out of my ears. And while it is incredibly muddy, it's also very dry and dusty, from a distance it's hard to tell if my home lies in the middle of fog or a dust cloud.

the most annoying norwegian proverb is "there is no bad weather, only bad clothes!"
are you sure. ARE YOU SURE
omg

That is the most accurate description of my life in Bergen I have ever seen

It could be worse. It could be ice-slush hell.

That being said, after tangling with dozens of slippery muddy puddles and a ridiculously cumbersome chainsaw yesterday I'm inclined to agree with the whole mud is crud part.

No bad weather though, only bad cleather.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:48:23 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4070 on: March 23, 2015, 05:07:45 PM »
I kinda like mud, though. mud is fun. but only if you're actually prepared for it aha ha
LIKE THIS ONE TIME
(oh gods not again)
there was some weird event thing for all 8th graders of trondheim to go out into the Great Outdoors on a 13 km trip. it was muddy. of course it was muddy. Everyone were told to bring waterproof boots because there was gonna be mud. I seemed to be the only person in hundreds to actually bring hiking boots. I think my only friend skipped school alltogether that day, so I was on my own. in a stream of teenagers. traversing the woods. I heard cries of "I HATE TREES!" and "I bought these skater shoes for 3000 last week and now they're RUINED".
Anyway
at some point. this stream of teenagers became organized, which was weird. I very quickly found out why. they were in a queue. to get around some particularly muddy parts. At which I theatrically rolled my eyes, and went right into it. I just went through the mud. I saw people stare. I heard people talk. "she's stepping in the mud!" one says. "she brought better boots than us," says another.
I have never felt more respected than in that moment.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #4071 on: March 24, 2015, 03:17:53 AM »
noooOOOooOOooO it's snowing outside
i hate everything

which one of the weather gods did i insult and when
i want a refund

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #4072 on: March 24, 2015, 05:41:17 AM »
Woke up: fine, perfectly healthy.
Went to life drawing class with chocolate bars for breakfast (the cafeteria doesn't sell real food before 9am :/) : felt a bit meh.
Finished drawing nude people: rather dizzy and very blargh.
Minus 1 hour until next class: *crashed in the library with a full-on cold, unable to move*
8 hours later: *lying on couch with sinuses from hell, a blocked yet bleeding nose, and a hot honey lemon drink I can't drink until my nose behaves*

What is this sorcery?! Who did this to meeeeeeeeee?! ;m;

I hope it gets better before Friday....I have to do a solo presentation, and then on Saturday I have to catch a plane to Melbourne and I don't wanna goooooo! Not a real scary cityyyyyyy! *whinge whinge whinge*

Hey guys, what are some cold-cures/busters/suggestions? :(
I don't wanna become a trolllllllllllllllllllll x___x
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4073 on: March 24, 2015, 05:47:13 AM »
Don't bother with any of that honey and lemon stuff that comes in a packet.  Just get a mug of boiling water and stir in a couple of teaspoons of real honey, the thick grainy stuff if you have it.  Great for your throat and sinuses, and gives your body a little boost.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #4074 on: March 24, 2015, 05:51:03 AM »
Don't bother with any of that honey and lemon stuff that comes in a packet.  Just get a mug of boiling water and stir in a couple of teaspoons of real honey, the thick grainy stuff if you have it.  Great for your throat and sinuses, and gives your body a little boost.
I diiiiiiiid! 8D
Packet stuff is blargh and pales in comparison to the real stuff ;) honey from the orchard blossom and lemon from the garden for the win

Edit: I also sleuthed out where this cold came from... not the tourist-filled restaurant, not university, not the city bus, but.... Duhn Duhn DUHN. My little sister's school. It's a hideous college cold 8__8 nuuuuuu
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:57:33 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4075 on: March 24, 2015, 05:55:26 AM »
I only get colds every once in a blue moon, but I recall something about gargling salt water relieving the airways. An uncle of mine swears by binging on oranges, cannot vouch for that.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #4076 on: March 24, 2015, 06:01:50 AM »
I only get colds every once in a blue moon, but I recall something about gargling salt water relieving the airways. An uncle of mine swears by binging on oranges, cannot vouch for that.
Oooh! I'll remember that! We bought a bunch of orange juice too :3
Heh, it's hard to decide between drinking water or juice, because, isn't water supposed to help too (?) :I

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #4077 on: March 24, 2015, 06:08:49 AM »
Oooh! I'll remember that! We bought a bunch of orange juice too :3
Heh, it's hard to decide between drinking water or juice, because, isn't water supposed to help too (?) :I

I checked the mayo clinic on recommended home treatments, and yes, water is important:

"Drink lots of fluids. Water, juice, clear broth or warm lemon water are all good choices. They help replace fluids lost during mucus production or fever. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, which can cause dehydration, and cigarette smoke, which can aggravate your symptoms."

Chicken soup is good too apparently...

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #4078 on: March 24, 2015, 06:13:08 AM »
I checked the mayo clinic on recommended home treatments, and yes, water is important:

"Drink lots of fluids. Water, juice, clear broth or warm lemon water are all good choices. They help replace fluids lost during mucus production or fever. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, which can cause dehydration, and cigarette smoke, which can aggravate your symptoms."

Chicken soup is good too apparently...
Would.... Minestrone count? :O I was going to make some tomorrow maybe.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #4079 on: March 24, 2015, 06:16:26 AM »
Orange juice is great as well because of the high vitamin C content.  But of course as Fim said, need to make sure you stay hydrated. 

I know a lot of people say that chicken soup is good but not entirely sure why chicken.  I can understand that getting a hot liquid inside you will make you feel better, and the vitamins and protein contained within will help strengthen your body, but why chicken?  Because it is cheap and people have packets of it lying around that store for a long time?  Perhaps?