Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409642 times)

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3975 on: March 16, 2015, 07:17:43 AM »
So much talk about food... I'm getting hungry. :-\
Anyway, sometimes I love cooking and baking and somethimes it's just a nuisance - for me it depends a lot on how much time I have/how much I'm stressed out and if I get the necessary ingredients.
My favourite kind of recipes are all kinds of curries and things to put in the oven - I don't know the accurate translation for "Auflauf", casserole maybe?
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #3976 on: March 16, 2015, 09:48:44 AM »
Pssst, I would also take suggestions. (Finding something I can actually make might be challenging as I still manage to ruin perfectly good Mac 'n cheese even when following the directions exactly.)

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3977 on: March 16, 2015, 09:59:52 AM »
Well there have been a number of decent suggestions over the last few posts, or are you looking for more detailed instructions?

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3978 on: March 16, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »
Guysss, I don't need suggestions! Really, I don't. Like, I know how to put things in a microwave (shredded cheese + tortilla chips = nachos) or in boiling water (instant ramen is a college-kid staple, c'mon). I don't consider it cooking until I have to put more than one ingredient in it and a microwave wasn't involved. (Also I'm not a big fan of pasta or fish. Or stir-fry. So don't consider these to be suggestons for me if they had been.)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3979 on: March 16, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »
Like, I know how to put things in a microwave (shredded cheese + tortilla chips = nachos) or in boiling water (instant ramen is a college-kid staple, c'mon). I don't consider it cooking until I have to put more than one ingredient in it and a microwave wasn't involved.

That is a fair point.  What sort of food do you like then?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3980 on: March 16, 2015, 10:40:24 AM »
My spider senses are telling me there's an awesomest story behind this one.
Not really, the premise is really straightforward.
Person X is having a bad week> enter her flat through the kitchen balcony and proceed to make sheperd's pie> caught red-handed> serve and tidy up> leave gracefully through front door.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3981 on: March 16, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »
That is a fair point.  What sort of food do you like then?

Umm, mac & cheese, pizza... any breakfast food. And anything with cheese will usually pass.

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3982 on: March 16, 2015, 11:58:46 AM »
Well that kinda sucks as I avoid cheese in general.  That said, some people like to dump grated cheese all over there fajitas, so you could make those and then just garnish them how you felt appropriate.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3983 on: March 16, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »
Well that kinda sucks as I avoid cheese in general.  That said, some people like to dump grated cheese all over there fajitas, so you could make those and then just garnish them how you felt appropriate.
Cheese is great! I would never eat a fajita without it. It's expensive though, unless you're fine with tasteless clay and so-called "cheese products". One of the things I really miss about the UK is those nice, tasty slabs of Cathedral City extra mature Cheddar, you just can't get cheddar in Norway.

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #3984 on: March 16, 2015, 04:48:13 PM »
Cheese is great! I would never eat a fajita without it. It's expensive though, unless you're fine with tasteless clay and so-called "cheese products". One of the things I really miss about the UK is those nice, tasty slabs of Cathedral City extra mature Cheddar, you just can't get cheddar in Norway.
And just when I didn't buy cheese slices because I ate a lot over time....

Now I want the cheese.
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3985 on: March 16, 2015, 05:42:18 PM »
Wait, should we move this to the food thread? Or are these suggestions too vague to move?

*Poof!*  Did someone say "Move this discussion to another thread"? 
I think the topic of easy cooking for people who don't know how, don't like to, or lack resources is discrete enough to split off General Discussion.  And IMHO it's worth preserving for posterity, which is hard to do in this thread because it moves so fast. 

If you're all OK with it, the other question is whether to put this in the Recipe Exchange thread or create a new one in the General Discussion Board. 

Your thoughts?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3986 on: March 16, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »
*Poof!*  Did someone say "Move this discussion to another thread"? 
I think the topic of easy cooking for people who don't know how, don't like to, or lack resources is discrete enough to split off General Discussion.  And IMHO it's worth preserving for posterity, which is hard to do in this thread because it moves so fast. 

If you're all OK with it, the other question is whether to put this in the Recipe Exchange thread or create a new one in the General Discussion Board. 

Your thoughts?

I personally don't think splitting the General Discussion Thread is a good idea and for this conversation there really isn't a good post that would work as the start of a thread.
(I'm just not a fan of splitting threads in general, if you can't tell by now)

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #3987 on: March 16, 2015, 07:43:24 PM »
Maybe we could just start up a new thread and people can replicate some of what they've said?
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3988 on: March 16, 2015, 07:48:44 PM »
New thread isn't even necessary.  We can just start talking in the recipe thread. 
The usual course of action on another forum would be "We should probably take this to the _____ thread."  "Yeah, let's move over there."  And then the conversation would continue.
Feel free to PM.

Peraphelion

• Imaginary friend
« Reply #3989 on: March 17, 2015, 12:01:40 AM »
Wasn't sure exactly where to put this... is there a "pictures that resemble the cast" thread? Meh... General discussion seemed good, but if anyone knows somewhere better, perhaps we could move it.
That being said...

Helloooo Braidy as an adult. *fans self*
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams

Fluent :usa:
Learning :ireland: :finland: :japan:
Mostly forgotten :mexico: