Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387513 times)

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3885 on: March 10, 2015, 05:45:29 AM »
Phew! History test finally over with! And I think it went really well, which is a feeling I haven't experienced for a really long time C: I'm looking forward to going home today and... start studying for my math test. Dang it.

If the math test is calculus and you aren't doing it in university, I might be able to help. Maybe. Hahahaha. I am doing calculus for students a year older I am, so yeah.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3886 on: March 10, 2015, 05:48:38 AM »
Hate engineering? But... But... Why are you studying engineering? Eich!
It's pretty common for university students to have a strong love-hate relationship with their field of study.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3887 on: March 10, 2015, 06:12:27 AM »
If the math test is calculus and you aren't doing it in university, I might be able to help. Maybe. Hahahaha. I am doing calculus for students a year older I am, so yeah.

It's just... normal maths? I don't even know what calculus is D: (it's not a subject they teach in Norwegian high schools)

I used to be a year ahead in maths, too, but then when I started in high school it clashed with my schedule :I

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #3888 on: March 10, 2015, 06:25:52 AM »
It's just... normal maths? I don't even know what calculus is D: (it's not a subject they teach in Norwegian high schools)

I used to be a year ahead in maths, too, but then when I started in high school it clashed with my schedule :I

This is calculus.

I couldn't find an article in bokmål, so if you read in that, there's an english one instead.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3889 on: March 10, 2015, 06:36:41 AM »
This is calculus.I couldn't find an article in bokmål, so if you read in that, there's an english one instead.

Oh, that's not a problem. All Norwegians understand both Nynorsk and Bokmål, it's just a matter of which one we write ;3

Hmm, we do have differentiation, but that's only one of 7 chapters we're being tested in

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3890 on: March 10, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »
/>
I laughed far too hard at that.  It's also uncomfortably true.

Phew! History test finally over with! And I think it went really well, which is a feeling I haven't experienced for a really long time C: I'm looking forward to going home today and... start studying for my math test. Dang it.
Congrats on the test going well.  Hope the math one goes well too!
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3891 on: March 10, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »
It's also uncomfortably true.
Faith in the power of engineers = utterly shattered.

Too bad the works mistakes of engineers are all around us and impossible to avoid.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:31:19 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3892 on: March 10, 2015, 10:02:18 AM »
/>

And the worrying part is these people build and maintain the systems our lives depend upon :D

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3893 on: March 10, 2015, 11:38:09 AM »
Faith in the power of engineers = utterly shattered.

Too bad the works mistakes of engineers are all around us and impossible to avoid.
Favorite quote:  "I get paid more than you.  Who are you?  Repair crew."
Actually, one of the things they really emphasize strongly in engineering, both school and work, is that absolutely nothing will work all the time, and that everything will fail at some point in time.  The best an engineer can do is make something as efficient as possible, and make it last as long as possible.  More upsetting than the engineering applications of that idea, are the physics that the idea comes from...

And the worrying part is these people build and maintain the systems our lives depend upon :D
Upon our mighty strong capable adequate mediocre sub-par feeble minds does the future sit.
Feel free to PM.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #3894 on: March 10, 2015, 09:08:52 PM »
STOP!
First off, :)
Second, hope you're having a wonderful day! Yes, YOU. Who else? Not the person behind you. Though they should as well, really.
Third, ladies, you are looking beautiful today. Seriously, drop-dead gorgeous.
Men, I swear your second middle name is "The Handsome". Or is that your title?
Finally, I hope you remember to smile. You are worth all the happiness in the world!
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3895 on: March 11, 2015, 05:57:00 AM »
Dear Adrai Thell, I hereby grant you this award for kissing arse.  It is much appreciated :D

Upon our mighty strong capable adequate mediocre sub-par feeble minds does the future sit.

Is that why it feels wobbly then?

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3896 on: March 11, 2015, 11:28:15 AM »
It's the time of the year for people to start looking for summer jobs and for me it's the first time i actually got invited to an interview so i was pritty excited.

As it happens the whole ordeal went ( i guess? ) pritty well and niw im supposed to start my rehersal program on the company ( a new and small telemarketing company ) for this spring and then i will be fully working for them for one month in summer.

Honestly i have no idea what should i do with this since the pay is potentially quite suberb for a high school student like me with a 700 euro base and anything you sell adding to that and the guy interviewing me threw out the end pay being around 1300 euro with added 700 euro since i was willing to start working around spring while school is still going on.

The days aren't long only like 2 hours after school and i feel this really could be good, but im just at a loss for it happening so quickly and honestly i have no idea what on earth should i do with this. Pritty stoked to get a job after two non yielding springs, but it's kinda scary.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3897 on: March 11, 2015, 11:49:41 AM »
It's kinda depressing that you are looking at getting a 2 hour per day job that could pay almost as well as my 9 to 5.  I say go for it, save up some money while you are in school to help you when you are finished there.  Perhaps use it to travel abroad somewhere in the summer after you finish school.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3898 on: March 11, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »
Yeah it does look like the dream thing to happen for me, but since it's my first time getting even a temporary job im pritty nervos there is a catch here.

The office i would be working in did look quite nice and lively and everything so far seems fine, but i just can't get off the feeling of this being to good to be true.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3899 on: March 11, 2015, 12:59:29 PM »
Take a risk and hope it is as good as it seems.  This is great chance to earn money and get some work experience before leaving school.  If it isn't all it is cracked up to be, I'm guessing that as temp your contract will only specify a short notification period before leaving so you won't be stuck there for ages if you hate it, but do make sure to read your contract first (assuming you get one, I didn't get a contract for any of the part time work I did while in education) and ask your parents or someone else if there are terms you do not understand in it.