Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387825 times)

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3810 on: March 06, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »
Hey guys (and gals and anything between and/or of the unknown), can anyone give me a female Scandinavian name that sounds tomboyish? :3 Best Best idea gets chocolate from me to deep Piney's cookies in :3
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3811 on: March 06, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »
Hey guys (and gals and anything between and/or of the unknown), can anyone give me a female Scandinavian name that sounds tomboyish? :3 Best Best idea gets chocolate from me to deep Piney's cookies in :3
Uh...
Rita, Gunn, Gro, Ulrika or Astrid maybe?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:44:16 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #3812 on: March 06, 2015, 06:37:47 PM »

What about Alfrid? That seems like a good name.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3813 on: March 06, 2015, 07:06:26 PM »

Maybe Asa? Could you perhaps give us a bit more information on why are you looking for one?

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #3814 on: March 06, 2015, 07:54:43 PM »
Yay! Hooray to everyone with test goodness happening!

Well at least he seems to know how phonetics work, so silver lining.  On the other hand, I don't know how old he is so maybe this is a serious problem.  Also, what is "nokjiling gunkjin"?

He's ten, and spells "talked" as "takt," for example, so it's no wonder my mom tells him he needs to move past kindergarten spelling - there they just tell kids to sound it out. But yes, he does understand phonetics! If one reads his writing out loud it can be understood! Mostly I'm just glad he typed this, because his handwriting is completely illegible. Also, I am informed that "nokjiling gunkjin" is "Nookling Junction." I'm going to assume there were major typos on the first word.

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #3815 on: March 06, 2015, 09:00:59 PM »
Quote from: Eich
Friendship always wins!
That sounds like a very good day.  Don't you just love it when things work out?  Also... I kinda like that song... .__.
Quote from: Piney
I... kinda do too... But I can see how Australians wouldn't like it
Yeah, it was pretty nice, and definitely made a decent attempt to make up for Thursday and this present weekend :I
I don't dislike the song, but you hear it a lot on the radio, tv etc so it gets the "ugh not again!" reaction XD
MAGFest would be one of the most best places to meet up!  So many fun things over there, after all. 
I'm still considering studying abroad; that'd be a great way to meet up with some of you Europeans!  :D
*stares into the sky while wind blows dramatically*
In similar news, I feel a lot less horrible because I found out I didn't fail my test from Monday!  [...] I don't know how - I don't care how - but I got a B.  \o/
YEAH!! We knew you could do it Eich! *sparkle party for Eich and also Sigrid for not having a test!*
Yay! Hooray to everyone with test goodness happening!
Yes yes! :)
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #3816 on: March 07, 2015, 11:50:42 AM »
Maybe Asa? Could you perhaps give us a bit more information on why are you looking for one?

I have a tall blonde (error)-wielding female character, but don't have a decent name to complete her. And Ulrika sounds best for now, Fimbulvarg takes the lead :D
won't starve:
dATumblr

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3817 on: March 07, 2015, 08:47:58 PM »
Whoopee, daylight saving time starts tomorrow for most of the U.S. Just what I needed, losing another hour of sleep. ;-;

P__

« Reply #3818 on: March 08, 2015, 05:41:17 AM »
don't worry mith, you'll get your hour back... when winter comes :'(
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3819 on: March 08, 2015, 07:06:02 AM »
Think of it as a price you pay for getting warmer and warmer days back. Of course they might not be as wanted in US as they are in Finland.  ::)

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #3820 on: March 08, 2015, 07:15:27 AM »
Okay, well, you might (or might not) know that today - the 8th of March - is though to be the International Women's Day. It is informal or not heard of at all in the majority of countries, but in post-Soviet block it is an officially recognized holiday. I am not burdening you with its history, for you can always find the information yourself if you are interested, just let me say this.

Initially this day was a day of respect towards women who fought for their social and political rights. Sadly, a day that descends from the times when women were after equal rights and duties has now turned into a day when women are congratulated just on the fact them being female. Personaly I find this paradigm shift disappointing, because now women here have already forgotten what the early feminists had been demanding - and they had been demanding equality in every sphere of life, but not a single day in the year to recieve flowers and waist-killing sweets (after which they'll come back to everyday life without even knowing that the rights they have now were a dream for women a hundred years ago).

I don't call myself a feminist, just because the "feminists" I have met (in real life, not referring to any of you) have totally no idea about what they should fight for. Back in the old days it was a wish to be respected and regarded as equals to men, wish to study and work on the same conditions, wish to gain political rights. What is it now? Just google "FEMEN". I admit that now the pressure on woman exists not on the legal level, but due to many stereotypes that are still alive, and yet... Maybe I am wrong and you have a different idea, but I fail to see how a woman yelling without even basing her arguments on something and flashing different parts of her body at the same time can be regarded as the one who deserves respect.

TL;DR: congratulations on the International Women's Day to all women who know and support the initial idea behind this day.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:19:12 AM by curiosity »
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #3821 on: March 08, 2015, 08:17:08 AM »
Thank you! I definitely am a feminist. Here are some reasons.

*harpoon through the heart* I.... I'll try harder!
I wonder what would happen if we turn it up to eleven.

Something like this?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:21:49 AM by Unlos »

Eris

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Lady of Chaos
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3822 on: March 08, 2015, 09:42:46 AM »

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #3823 on: March 08, 2015, 10:03:38 AM »
Thank you! I definitely am a feminist. Here are some reasons.

Well that bummed me for the day :/
Society can be really cruel...
won't starve:
dATumblr

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #3824 on: March 08, 2015, 10:04:21 AM »
don't worry mith, you'll get your hour back... when winter comes :'(
And the interest gets paid in advance, even. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15