Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387183 times)

Peraphelion

• Imaginary friend
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3735 on: March 03, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »
Hi guys, I'm not dead.
I've just had a few emotinally unstable months, and then I felt bad for not being here for a while, and then that lead me to not dropping in because of guilt. *Deep sigh*
Anyways, I decided that was a stupid thing to feel guilty about, so now I'm back. I have a lot to catch up on.

Hello ThisCat. I didn't realize you had been absent because I'd been seeing your posts from before around the forum. (archive mining, trying to catch up as well) Welcome back! You may not know me yet, but I'm sure we will be chummy before long. ;)

Oh, and I have those months as well... sometimes the best thing for relationships is to just step away and eat junk food while watching nostalgic shows and movies for awhile. The television doesn't get it's feelings hurt if you irrationally call it names and "break up" with it, I've found... *he-hem* Anyways. >_>
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams

Fluent :usa:
Learning :ireland: :finland: :japan:
Mostly forgotten :mexico:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3736 on: March 03, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »
Plus, walking to class is about the only exercise I get, and I'd rather not give it up.
Hehe, after spraining an ankle three weeks ago this is what I've been reduced to doing to stay active. It doesn't feel like excercise, but maybe you have a longer way to school than I do - at least you don't look unfit.

As a sidenote, does anyone know how to subtly ask a guy if he's single? If he doesn't have a facebook page?
Subtlety is not exactly my speciality... have you tried asking anyone who knows him, or getting someone you know to ask someone who knows him to ask him?
Oh, and welcome back. I don't judge you for going silent, that's your prerogative.

given the ridiculously steep hill it was at the top of and doing it twice a day stopped me putting on too much weight.
This wouldn't happen to be Aberystwyth would it?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:47:10 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3737 on: March 03, 2015, 12:32:15 PM »
Hehe, after spraining my ankles three weeks ago this is what I've been reduced to doing to stay active. It doesn't feel like excercise, but maybe you have a longer way to school than I do - at least you don't look unfit.
Subtlety is not exactly my speciality... have you tried asking anyone who knows him, or getting someone you know to ask someone who knows him to ask him?
Both ankles??  Also, do you mean walking to class?  I thought you had graduated, already. 
My farthest class is about a 20 minute walk if I go fast, but campus is... very, very hilly.  We're in the foothills over here, so my walks practically turn into hikes, in some places.  That said, I still end up out of breath, going to the far classes, or up a flight of stairs.  I wouldn't say I'm fit, exactly... I haven't gotten proper exercise in 2 years, now, I'm just very thin from... forgetting to eat food.  :/
Feel free to PM.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3738 on: March 03, 2015, 12:36:23 PM »
As a sidenote, does anyone know how to subtly ask a guy if he's single?
IMHO asking such a thing "subtly" is a great recipe to receive the answer one of you wants, rather than an entirely truthful one ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3739 on: March 03, 2015, 12:36:55 PM »
Both ankles??  Also, do you mean walking to class?  I thought you had graduated, already. 
My farthest class is about a 20 minute walk if I go fast, but campus is... very, very hilly.  We're in the foothills over here, so my walks practically turn into hikes, in some places.  That said, I still end up out of breath, going to the far classes, or up a flight of stairs.  I wouldn't say I'm fit, exactly... I haven't gotten proper exercise in 2 years, now, I'm just very thin from... forgetting to eat food.  :/
Well, no, only one of the two. It just so happens that I cannot type. Why would you think I've graduated though?

What I think you need is to put on your Asics and go out for a run every once in a while. Just run somewhere. Run as if your life depended on it. Who knows, one day it might.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3740 on: March 03, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »
Hi guys, I'm not dead.
I've just had a few emotinally unstable months, and then I felt bad for not being here for a while, and then that lead me to not dropping in because of guilt. *Deep sigh*
Anyways, I decided that was a stupid thing to feel guilty about, so now I'm back. I have a lot to catch up on.

Aw, welcome back! *sends even more virtual hugs*

And posting on a forum really isn't an obligation. Taking care of yourself is more important. :)

I'm pretty sure I just failed my first thermo test, as well.  I just blanked on about 70% of the material.  Strangely, I know I did the last part of every problem correctly... it's the easy, foundational, super-important stuff that I forgot.  NOW ON TO HOMEWORK AND LAB REPORT.

Somehow I mess up the really basic stuff, too. On a (semi) recent test, I think I got all the complicated math problems right...and the basic geometry things wrong.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3741 on: March 03, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
Well, no, only one of the two. It just so happens that I cannot type. Why would you think I've graduated though?

What I think you need is to put on your Asics and go out for a run every once in a while. Just run somewhere. Run as if your life depended on it. Who knows, one day it might.
I think I've only seen you mention school in past tense, so far, and thought you did meteorology stuff?  I may have only seen posts about your time in England, if that was something in the past.  (If it's still happening now, I'm just a moron :P)

I think I want to bulk up a little, first.  I did weight work for about... 2 days last year, haha.  Then finals week hit me and everything had to stop.  My school's gym does have a pool, which is my favorite way to exercise, I just feel weird working out around people.  I am a fairly good sprinter though.  I could out-speed most of my athlete friends in high school (might have something to do with them all being short), but they'd always outlast me.  So, as far as running for my life goes... I've got about 30 seconds of turbo-powered limb flailing in me.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3742 on: March 03, 2015, 01:02:23 PM »
I've got about 30 seconds of turbo-powered limb flailing in me.
*spaces out*

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3743 on: March 03, 2015, 01:14:26 PM »
Hi guys, I'm not dead.
I've just had a few emotionally unstable months, and then I felt bad for not being here for a while, and then that lead me to not dropping in because of guilt. *Deep sigh*

Aw, don't ever let feeling bad keep you out of things.  I've done that a lot (just slink off in shame and never return), and it is stupid.   We're glad to have you back! 

What would you like an update on?  Did you know Eich and Hushpiper have found a new server host for us?  Squirrel cookies?  Cool new members?  A yarncraft thread?  Lots and lots of fan poetry and other writing?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #3744 on: March 03, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »
Subtly?  That's a tricky one... Hm, ask him what he does/where he frequents on weekends?  That'd probably work on me, at least.  :P
Oh, and welcome back. I don't judge you for going silent, that's your prerogative.
IMHO asking such a thing "subtly" is a great recipe to receive the answer one of you wants, rather than an entirely truthful one ...

*Sigh* Maybe I should just ask him, but then he'll definitely realize I'm interested. I should probably spend a few more weeks trying to get to know him. We share all our labclasses, and he also thinks it's a good idea to work together *hopeful* but if he continues skipping them as he has he's going to fail them... (I want to get to know this guy. I met him in my Insects and Arachnids class for Minna's sake!)

Aw, welcome back! *sends even more virtual hugs*

And posting on a forum really isn't an obligation. Taking care of yourself is more important. :)
Aw, don't ever let feeling bad keep you out of things.  I've done that a lot (just slink off in shame and never return), and it is stupid.   We're glad to have you back! 

What would you like an update on?  Did you know Eich and Hushpiper have found a new server host for us?  Squirrel cookies?  Cool new members?  A yarncraft thread?  Lots and lots of fan poetry and other writing?

Thanks guys :)
I heard about the server host and the poetry (glad someone's been keeping up on the poetry thread) but squirrel cookies confuse me. Oh, and we've been getting a lot of new members, haven't we?

Hello ThisCat. I didn't realize you had been absent because I'd been seeing your posts from before around the forum. (archive mining, trying to catch up as well) Welcome back! You may not know me yet, but I'm sure we will be chummy before long. ;)

Oh, and I have those months as well... sometimes the best thing for relationships is to just step away and eat junk food while watching nostalgic shows and movies for awhile. The television doesn't get it's feelings hurt if you irrationally call it names and "break up" with it, I've found... *he-hem* Anyways. >_>

Thanks Peraphelion! I'm looking forward to getting to know you too.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3745 on: March 03, 2015, 02:09:48 PM »
*Sigh* Maybe I should just ask him, but then he'll definitely realize I'm interested. I should probably spend a few more weeks trying to get to know him. We share all our labclasses, and he also thinks it's a good idea to work together *hopeful* but if he continues skipping them as he has he's going to fail them... (I want to get to know this guy. I met him in my Insects and Arachnids class for Minna's sake!)

Thanks guys :)
I heard about the server host and the poetry (glad someone's been keeping up on the poetry thread) but squirrel cookies confuse me. Oh, and we've been getting a lot of new members, haven't we?

Thanks Peraphelion! I'm looking forward to getting to know you too.
I was initially going to suggest spending more time with him, but I didn't want to be unhelpful, haha.  If he wants to work together in lab, that's a good sign.  *Has personal experience being a male with cute lab partners*

Mikko finally made an account, too.  He compiled all of his work into one mega-post in the poetry thread, actually! 
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #3746 on: March 03, 2015, 02:55:44 PM »
I was initially going to suggest spending more time with him, but I didn't want to be unhelpful, haha.  If he wants to work together in lab, that's a good sign.  *Has personal experience being a male with cute lab partners*

That's the only reason I'm even considering just asking. I know a good sign of this calibre when I see it.

Mikko finally made an account, too.  He compiled all of his work into one mega-post in the poetry thread, actually!

I saw that! It was great (though long)
 Mostly quiet.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3747 on: March 03, 2015, 04:58:21 PM »
@ThisCat, just some advice, don't expect a guy to pick up on subtle hints that you are interested.  It is not their strong point.

This wouldn't happen to be Aberystwyth would it?

Why do you ask?  Did you go there?

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #3748 on: March 03, 2015, 05:03:17 PM »
@ThisCat, just some advice, don't expect a guy to pick up on subtle hints that you are interested.  It is not their strong point.

I like not to generalize, but thanks either way. To be fair, I sort of suck at being subtle myself.
 Mostly quiet.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3749 on: March 03, 2015, 05:15:32 PM »
Why do you ask?  Did you go there?
No. Two friends of mine are Aberystwyth alumnis and would never stop whining about how unreasonable it is to put an university on top of a hill.