Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409702 times)

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3645 on: February 23, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »
Just in case you need to know about the two ;)
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3646 on: February 23, 2015, 08:39:53 PM »
I should never, ever, ever put off writing a report ever again.  They take far too long to write to save for one or two days. 
Also, another test this Thursday, next Monday, and next Wednesday, and another lab report due next Thursday.  Midterms are coming (much more intimidating than "Winter is coming," imo).  Oh, and speaking of winter, it may snow here again, before things start warming up.  Here's hoping!
Feel free to PM.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3647 on: February 23, 2015, 08:55:56 PM »
I should never, ever, ever put off writing a report ever again.  They take far too long to write to save for one or two days.

I keep telling this to myself. I really, really, really should try to follow through with it, though...

*stares glumly at paper*

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3648 on: February 23, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »
/random rambling
Ee! Nice! XD

Ughghgh second day...and the main campus is PACKED with freshmen everywhere on all the seats and grass -_- I'm such a grump haha
Also, my English class is in the engineering block again XD it is now my second home.
Also also, I have been mistaken for a first year three times today? Heh. Not sure what to think.

Also, another test this Thursday, next Monday, and next Wednesday, and another lab report due next Thursday.  Midterms are coming (much more intimidating than "Winter is coming," imo).  Oh, and speaking of winter, it may snow here again, before things start warming up.  Here's hoping!
D: No! EEEEEEeeich don't fall into that rut! You'll end up a crazy abstract art student like meee -__- Go study! GO! O___O
Good about the snow though! :D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3649 on: February 23, 2015, 09:00:35 PM »

You just reminded me that I really need to get started on my report for writing class that's due tomorrow. No worries though, I'm not a stranger to writing papers in one night. :P
But slnow... man, I am so tired of it. Snow in the city is not fun. In the suburbs it's all nice and pretty and school's cancelled, but here it turns to slush and if you have to walk everywhere it makes your life miserable. I walked home this weekend against the direction of the snow, and I felt like a frickin' snowman when I got inside. And there was still a good amount of snow (enough that I had to brush it off before I walked through the door) on me after riding the elevator all the way up to my room. *sigh*

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3650 on: February 23, 2015, 09:26:34 PM »
You just reminded me that I really need to get started on my report for writing class that's due tomorrow. No worries though, I'm not a stranger to writing papers in one night. :P
But slnow... man, I am so tired of it. Snow in the city is not fun. In the suburbs it's all nice and pretty and school's cancelled, but here it turns to slush and if you have to walk everywhere it makes your life miserable. I walked home this weekend against the direction of the snow, and I felt like a frickin' snowman when I got inside. And there was still a good amount of snow (enough that I had to brush it off before I walked through the door) on me after riding the elevator all the way up to my room. *sigh*
I already wrote the first two sections last week, and I still spent about 9 or 10 hours on it today, mostly just figuring out what half the numbers meant and coming up with words to describe it all. 

Take a battery powered hair dryer with you.  Surely that would make a good defense against the cold snow?  If not, you can always add more power.

Ughghgh second day...and the main campus is PACKED with freshmen everywhere on all the seats and grass -_- I'm such a grump haha
Also, my English class is in the engineering block again XD it is now my second home.
Also also, I have been mistaken for a first year three times today? Heh. Not sure what to think.
D: No! EEEEEEeeich don't fall into that rut! You'll end up a crazy abstract art student like meee -__- Go study! GO! O___O
Good about the snow though! :D
*Considers music career more intensely* 
I've got a little more work to do before bed tonight, but that report was the big thing.  Should be okay, for now.
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3651 on: February 24, 2015, 12:20:38 AM »
Take a battery powered hair dryer with you.  Surely that would make a good defense against the cold snow?  If not, you can always add more power.

Heh, even if, it would still just turn into water and that's also eww. I won't be satisfied with the weather until it's at least mid-spring. Like, when it stops being cold. (unfortunately I have no idea when it stops getting cold in New York...)

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3652 on: February 24, 2015, 12:27:48 AM »
Second day: over! Yeah! But I had to sit next to (and was surrounded by OmO) some weird guys in Eng Lit. I usually don't sit next to guys if I can avoid it (I don't know why) but today I thought "yeah they look harmless, it's the last seat, ok" and agggghhhhgh they babbled on about hitler and volleyball girls and bumped the desk around a lot and I couldn't get a word in edge ways (they were very shouty, trying out out sass each other) during the table group activity: which resulted in tables being moved around me and I was actually trapped in the centre with no escape til class was over. -_-
*ex girls' school girl was terrified*
They weren't mean though, so that was good?  *is now perceived by forum as a total dork* haha

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3653 on: February 24, 2015, 12:46:14 AM »
I'm pretty sure we're all dorks here Owl, so no need to worry. :) I too try to avoid sitting next to boys as well for reasons I don't know. But no, I would totally be terrified by that too, and especially the being trapped part. But I know I would also get quite angry. Loud people always really bug me, for reasons that I think are guessable... 

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3654 on: February 24, 2015, 01:04:41 AM »
Heh, even if, it would still just turn into water and that's also eww. I won't be satisfied with the weather until it's at least mid-spring. Like, when it stops being cold. (unfortunately I have no idea when it stops getting cold in New York...)
I just want it to stay cold.  ;__; 
The heat is a grip that can't be escaped. 
Just... the humidity id killer.

Second day: over! Yeah! But I had to sit next to (and was surrounded by OmO) some weird guys in Eng Lit. I usually don't sit next to guys if I can avoid it (I don't know why) but today I thought "yeah they look harmless, it's the last seat, ok" and agggghhhhgh they babbled on about hitler and volleyball girls and bumped the desk around a lot and I couldn't get a word in edge ways (they were very shouty, trying out out sass each other) during the table group activity: which resulted in tables being moved around me and I was actually trapped in the centre with no escape til class was over. -_-
*ex girls' school girl was terrified*
They weren't mean though, so that was good?  *is now perceived by forum as a total dork* haha
Aw, boys aren't scary, Owlllll. 
Well, some of us are rather loud, especially in groups.
I'm pretty sure we're all dorks here Owl, so no need to worry. :) I too try to avoid sitting next to boys as well for reasons I don't know. But no, I would totally be terrified by that too, and especially the being trapped part. But I know I would also get quite angry. Loud people always really bug me, for reasons that I think are guessable... 
What's with all the boy fear?
I need to figure out whether I have an issue sitting next to females.  Kinda difficult, cause there's hardly any women in my major.  :V
Actually, no, my lab partner's a lady.  Ha!  *Feels less like a dork*
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3655 on: February 24, 2015, 01:20:07 AM »
Well, some of us are rather loud, especially in groups.What's with all the boy fear?
I need to figure out whether I have an issue sitting next to females.  Kinda difficult, cause there's hardly any women in my major.  :V
Actually, no, my lab partner's a lady.  Ha!  *Feels less like a dork*
Haha! XD nah, you're still kind of a dork because you momentarily forgot your lab partner was a lady ;P

There's only one other girl in my fine arts major :( the class has totally shrunk, there were about 40 of us in first year (apparently a normal class in other universities would have about 100+ students?!) ...now there's 11. In the whole unit. o____o where did they goooo? (Especially the girls!?) I guess they weren't carrying a cat for protection while roaming the twisty corridors of the college...? :( :(

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3656 on: February 24, 2015, 01:20:41 AM »
I just want it to stay cold.  ;__; 
The heat is a grip that can't be escaped. 
Just... the humidity id killer.

What's with all the boy fear?

I'm no stranger to humidity, where I'm from. Late spring would be ideal for me right now, I think. Like, still humid but not annoyingly hot. I'll probably feel the opposite in the summer of course (wanting it to be winter), but I don't know if I've *ever* wanted it to stay cold in the winter...
Also, I don't knowww! I really wish I didn't have boy fear, but it's just something that I've had for as long as I remember, that I don't know how to shake :/

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3657 on: February 24, 2015, 01:40:03 AM »
I really wish I didn't have boy fear, but it's just something that I've had for as long as I remember, that I don't know how to shake :/
I'm very much the same Piney :I
I think my brain just auto-assumes they're going to be mean and horrible or something..? Which makes no sense...I hope? Hm.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3658 on: February 24, 2015, 01:49:32 AM »
Well, some of us are rather loud, especially in groups.What's with all the boy fear?

Eich, I know this has nothing to do with a principled person like *you*, or presumably most young men you know.  But there are plenty of reasons for girls to be afraid of boys.  Mostly in unsupervised venues, not  somewhere like a classroom -- but once that instinctive fear-of-predators reflex kicks in, it's hard to disarm.  (And I imagine that someone who grew up with only sisters, and went to a single-sex school, wouldn't have had a lot of opportunities to build friendly, nonthreatening relationships with boys.  I at least had brothers and classmates.)

That's not to say girls can't be nasty, bullying, or even physically aggressive -- but *on average* girls don't pose the same threat to a guy on his own that a group of guys do to a girl.

I got bullied a lot in junior high, including one incident of what nowadays would be considered sexual harassment (maybe even threatened assault). 

I don't think my tormentors (boys my own age) would have actually laid a finger on me... but I say that now as a big, tough grown woman who's capable of looking people in the eye and employing the art of verbal self-defense.  Back then I was a timid 13-year-old who looked about 9, and some crude talk was enough to absolutely terrify me.  It took me a good many years to get over the stereotype that "Boys = Scary." 

(It also helped that I went to a women's college, where we didn't have to deal with a lot of the party atmosphere that goes on at fraternities and sororities, or the idea that there's something unseemly about girls being interested in technical subjects or being leaders.  Blessedly, a lot of the latter prejudice seems to have disappeared since I was in college.)

I should add that the vast majority of men I've ever crossed paths with are fine, honorable people who'd find it unthinkable to take advantage of a woman, no matter what the setting.  But it only takes a few bad apples...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:53:36 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #3659 on: February 24, 2015, 01:53:04 AM »
*has no discrimination between genders when it comes to having to sit next to people*

But I do tend to like sitting next to quieter, friendly people most. And at times I am wary of sitting next to people who seem to have romantic tendencies towards me - that never ends well, so avoidance and as little encouragement as possible.

If I had boy-fear, I'm afraid I would find an incredibly small amount of people I could talk to about common interests. So, lucky I don't, heh.

Also, Owl, congratulations on surviving two days of uni!~ Do you guys have Cup day off tomorrow, also, or is that only the northern part of the state?

Also, weather~ Finally, a cold day! *is happy* I don't think it got much above 20C, if even that~
Am notified of private messages via email.