Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410714 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2014, 05:24:56 PM »
My roommate turned 21 (legal American drinking age) a couple days ago.  He went out to a bar last night with a buddy and still hasn't gotten out of bed, cause he keeps throwing up when he stands.  So he's just chilling out and watching One Piece in bed today. 
Also, the friend he went out with stayed the night, so I had to be really quiet when I left because our couch is right next to the door out.  So, out of consideration, I kept the lights off when I was about to leave, and gingerly stepped forward... before blindly bumbling into our empty, hollow, resonating, acoustic chamber of a trash can.  *Sigh*  Mornings are never good.

Anyone got some ideas for threads?  I'm thinking a vidya game thread might get some use.

The fact that the (legal) drinking age is a whooping 21 in the land of freedom itself never ceases to amaze me. It's 18 here in Norway and 16 in Denmark! One of the funniest experiences when I studied in the UK was seeing 20 year old Americans drink themselves into a light concussion every weekend. There were actually more pubs than faculties on campus.

Been thinking about a video games thread just to have a place to whine about how much time I've wasted playing Civilization 5 the last few weeks.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:33:34 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2014, 05:36:20 PM »
The fact that the (legal) drinking age is a whooping 21 in the land of freedom itself never ceases to amaze me. It's 18 here in Norway and 16 in Denmark! One of the funniest experiences when I studied in the UK was seeing 20 year old Americans drink themselves into a light concussion every week. There were actually more pubs than faculties on campus.

Been thinking about a video games thread just to have a place to whine about how much time I've wasted playing Civilization 5 the last few weeks.
I think it's because the government took away the alcohol for a few years during Prohibition, and we pretty much annihilated everything in the country after that happened.  Basically, a lack of booze spawned modern Chicago, and everything that people are afraid of concerning it.  So they bumped up the age out of fear.  That's my answer without bothering to look anything up online. 
Pretty much everyone at my university is getting wasted several nights a week (regardless of age {talked about this on the comic somewhere...}), but I think my roommate just didn't know how much he could handle.  And, yeah, we've got dozens of bars within walking distance of campus.

Alright, I'll make one real quick.  My friends know your pain.  I managed to stay away from Civ, thankfully.  I didn't want to lose all my free time.
Feel free to PM.

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »
In France 18 is the minimal age to buy alcohol on your own, but there is no minimal drinking age; a 12 years old child who drinks a little sip of wine under adult supervision is perfectly ok.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Miss Honeyham

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • *coughing fit*
« Reply #153 on: September 18, 2014, 07:53:02 PM »
In the US State of Jefferson, I'm not sure there's an age limit. If there is... I'm not sure anybody knows about it.

Then again, the US State of Jefferson doesn't officially exist.
:usa: | :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :book1: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2014, 11:51:13 PM »
Went out with the roommates for trivia night at a local restaurant.  We were down by thirteen points after the first half, because one team had a legit artist who got them loads of points with some nice drawings in the art rounds, but we managed to pull forward to second place by four points.  Not bad for a first try at trivia night. 
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2014, 03:27:27 AM »
Went out with the roommates for trivia night at a local restaurant.  We were down by thirteen points after the first half, because one team had a legit artist who got them loads of points with some nice drawings in the art rounds, but we managed to pull forward to second place by four points.  Not bad for a first try at trivia night. 

Do I score trivia points for instantly recognising JonTron (I miss the times when he worked with Arin Hanson)?

I'm hopeless at trivia if the questions are all popular culture-related (songs, bands, movies, TV shows, actors etc.). If it's about history and geography I'm a bit more useful.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:36:04 AM by Fimbulvarg »

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2014, 05:16:24 AM »
Do I score trivia points for instantly recognising JonTron (I miss the times when he worked with Arin Hanson)?

I'm hopeless at trivia if the questions are all popular culture-related (songs, bands, movies, TV shows, actors etc.). If it's about history and geography I'm a bit more useful.

I have this friend who knows a lot about norwegian film and literature. She was good to have during the quizzes at school.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2014, 12:58:17 PM »

This is basically me. I am completely clueless about what music's popular now (don't even ask me about TV shows and actors), but I can identify, say, Roman emperors and where mountain ranges are.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2014, 01:42:16 PM »
Car accidents are not fun.
Ugh... 

I'm gong to be very sore tomorrow.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2014, 01:54:09 PM »
Car accidents are not fun.
Ugh... 

I'm going to be very sore tomorrow.

Oh no, what happened?!?  I'm sending healing thoughts your way. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2014, 02:21:40 PM »
Oh no, what happened?!?  I'm sending healing thoughts your way.
Lots of rain.  I only had a few meters of visibility, and the pickup in front of me slammed on her brakes cause of another wreck that happened a few seconds before. I rear-ended her at about 40 mph, lost my brakes after the impact, momentum carried me forward after she bounced off me so I swerved around and nicked another guy's corner before slowing to a stop. Then two more cars and an 18 wheeler came in and grazed each other while avoiding me and the pickup truck.  All in all, six cars and two 18 wheelers in about 30 seconds.

I checked in with the doctor once I got back to campus, and she said I shouldn't have any broken bones, but that I'll be really, really sore for a couple of days.  I was planning on updating the site this weekend, but that's probably not gonna happen.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2014, 03:03:30 PM »
Sounds like it could have gone a lot worse. Presumably you had better sense than the SSSS cast and actually wore your seatbelt.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »
Sounds like it could have gone a lot worse. Presumably you had better sense than the SSSS cast and actually wore your seatbelt.
Could have been a lot worse.  Nobody got hurt, as far as I know.  The girl I hit decided to get in the ambulance; I didn't talk to her or see her, but apparently she was walking around a bit before that.  I've been praying that she'll be okay.  I'd hate to have hurt her.  Either way, she and I got the worst of it.

If I wasn't wearing my seatbelt I'd probably be dead.  The airbags didn't deploy.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:13:17 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2014, 03:31:50 PM »
Oh Lord, how scary!  I'm really glad your instincts (both wearing a seatbelt, and steering away from further impacts) served you well. 

Unfortunately, I'm not a seiĆ°kona who could cast healing runes from a distance, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.  As are all the Minions, I'm sure!

Take it easy, now -- we want you to feel better soon!   :)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2014, 09:05:13 PM »
Oh Lord, how scary!  I'm really glad your instincts (both wearing a seatbelt, and steering away from further impacts) served you well. 

Unfortunately, I'm not a seiĆ°kona who could cast healing runes from a distance, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.  As are all the Minions, I'm sure!

Take it easy, now -- we want you to feel better soon!   :)
Thanks.  I'm back at my parents' house for the weekend, so I'll probably be resting and recuperating a good bit tomorrow and early Sunday.
Also, my cat found me, and is now laying on my belly (guess he missed me), so I should be safe from the infection while I'm here, if the world ends.
Feel free to PM.