Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387363 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3510 on: February 16, 2015, 02:13:37 AM »
I think a thing I've written for the book thread reads kind of like a public service announcement or like I'm trying to sell something. I'm not sure that I should post it now because I doubt I have a "public service announcement"/"salesperson" level of authority.

Stel, if you have doubts about a post, you can always ping Eich, Noako, or me for feedback first, if you like.  Or run it past a fellow experienced forum member. 

If it's not outright spammy or advocacy for a non-SSSS-related political cause, my instinct would be to go ahead and post.  Just be prepared to remove it if need be; people have done so when they unintentionally crossed the line of a Forum rule, with no hard feelings on either side.

My 2 cents' worth -- I'm not speaking with the Voice of Authority at this point.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3511 on: February 16, 2015, 04:39:28 AM »
Well as i eluded in the good night tread i'm sick and it's awful. When i woke up it felt like someone was banging my head with a brick and since i had to take my dog for a walk and i couldn't sleep well i slept like 3 hours. So when taking the dog for a walk i think i fell down to the side of the road and lied there for some time thinking i propably should get up. Only after my dog came to lick my face i finally started to move and i got really cold on top of everything else.

Being sick sucks. Never hope for it.

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #3512 on: February 16, 2015, 04:54:40 AM »
Well as i eluded in the good night tread i'm sick and it's awful. When i woke up it felt like someone was banging my head with a brick and since i had to take my dog for a walk and i couldn't sleep well i slept like 3 hours. So when taking the dog for a walk i think i fell down to the side of the road and lied there for some time thinking i propably should get up. Only after my dog came to lick my face i finally started to move and i got really cold on top of everything else.

Being sick sucks. Never hope for it.
D: AGH! *hugs*
I don't really know anything that helps to stop feeling sick, except honey tea, (and water for hydration) rest and cats :/
Rest up buddy, try not to over-exert yourself. Hope you feel better soon :(
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:58:41 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3513 on: February 16, 2015, 05:09:41 AM »
Thanks owl and don't worry i'm not going to do anythin, but stay in my bed for today. I guess i can start watching full metal alchemist or read the pile of books i got from london since they are just sitting there next to my bed as a menacing tower of liteature. I guess i for the very least won't be bores

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #3514 on: February 16, 2015, 05:28:31 AM »
Decided to make a hnefatafl/king's table game (this). Mostly finished the board, just need to polish the edges a bit, and made the pieces themselves (just need to paint the black pieces).

Nice! You go, man!
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3515 on: February 16, 2015, 05:30:07 AM »
watching screens that emit light and over-stimulate you will be bad for going back to sleep. (Which also applies to going to sleep to begin with.)

See I get told this all the time, yet in my personal experience reading a book is much worse.  Both for falling asleep, and the fact that I lose myself in the book and forget the time (I was up far too late last night :( ).

... Did we live in the same university dorm or is this a regular occurence?

Can't say I had problems like this when I lived in university accommodations.  But when I lived private I was in the area of town, that while not bad in itself, was near where the late night venues were and so where the inebriated stragglers were chucked out at the end of the night.  Always found that the locals were a lot worse than the students though.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3516 on: February 16, 2015, 09:17:35 AM »
Are we still talking about sleeping difficulties? Because I'm honestly beginning to believe that I'm just not cut out for normal sleep patterns. No matter what I do, I do not feel even the slightest bit tired when I'm supposed to go to bed, and I always wake up feeling super tired (when I'm woken by an alarm, that is).

Presently I'm using melatonin capsules to regulate this stuff, but I forget it at least 1/3 of the time :I

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3517 on: February 16, 2015, 09:36:26 AM »
Yeah, I have the same problem, not tired at night, exhausted in the morning.  Didn't used to be so bad when I kept my own hours, but now that I work a 9 to 5 its a real battle.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3518 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:30 AM »
Are we still talking about sleeping difficulties? Because I'm honestly beginning to believe that I'm just not cut out for normal sleep patterns. No matter what I do, I do not feel even the slightest bit tired when I'm supposed to go to bed, and I always wake up feeling super tired (when I'm woken by an alarm, that is).

Presently I'm using melatonin capsules to regulate this stuff, but I forget it at least 1/3 of the time :I
Do you still get at least 7 hours of sleep or are you actually sleep deprived?

As for forgetting your pills; well, there's the problem.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3519 on: February 16, 2015, 10:19:13 AM »
Do you still get at least 7 hours of sleep or are you actually sleep deprived?

As for forgetting your pills; well, there's the problem.

Well, I get 6 hours if I'm lucky, 3 if I'm not. I don't think I really need a full 7 hours, though, because in periods where I'm well rested I usually wake up after 5-6 hours no matter when I go to sleep (it's probably worth mentioning, though, that there are rarely periods where I'm actually well rested)

I've tried everything to remember those pills, but it turns out I just have the worst short term memory ever cx I mean, I even set an alarm to help me remember it, but I sometimes forget about the pills on the 10 metre way to my room to get the pills

Yeah, I have the same problem, not tired at night, exhausted in the morning.  Didn't used to be so bad when I kept my own hours, but now that I work a 9 to 5 its a real battle.

Same. I think I would feel much better if I could just sleep whenever I was tired, but school wouldn't like that very much

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3520 on: February 16, 2015, 10:34:40 AM »
Well, I get 6 hours if I'm lucky, 3 if I'm not. I don't think I really need a full 7 hours, though, because in periods where I'm well rested I usually wake up after 5-6 hours no matter when I go to sleep (it's probably worth mentioning, though, that there are rarely periods where I'm actually well rested)

I've tried everything to remember those pills, but it turns out I just have the worst short term memory ever cx I mean, I even set an alarm to help me remember it, but I sometimes forget about the pills on the 10 metre way to my room to get the pills

Same. I think I would feel much better if I could just sleep whenever I was tired, but school wouldn't like that very much
*sympathizes*
Once you get pills into your routine,  it's not so bad.  It's just a matter of starting that routine that's the hard part.  :-\
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3521 on: February 16, 2015, 10:38:25 AM »
That is usually solved when one starts to associate the pills (in this case) with going to sleep. Until then maybe it would help keeping the pills by your toothbrush or some other place where you can't possibly ignore them.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3522 on: February 16, 2015, 10:45:35 AM »
I would suggest leaving them in your bed.  Then you can't help but remember them before going to bed.  Personally I haven't had much luck with sleeping medication, pharmaceutical ones mess with my mood and I can take herbal ones by the bottle without effect.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3523 on: February 16, 2015, 10:51:02 AM »
But I'm supposed to take them at least 30 minutes before I go to bed D: So you see, leaving them by my bed wouldn't really do me much good. I suppose Fim's suggestion to keep them by my toothbrush might be worth a shot, though

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #3524 on: February 16, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »
Stel, if you have doubts about a post, you can always ping Eich, Noako, or me for feedback first, if you like.  Or run it past a fellow experienced forum member. 

If it's not outright spammy or advocacy for a non-SSSS-related political cause, my instinct would be to go ahead and post.  Just be prepared to remove it if need be; people have done so when they unintentionally crossed the line of a Forum rule, with no hard feelings on either side.

My 2 cents' worth -- I'm not speaking with the Voice of Authority at this point.

No, the topic's not bad at all. I was just really surprised by the voice of the paragraph when I was done. (It wasn't a bad voice, just not how I normally write.) I figured - correctly - that I'd be able to think better in the morning. So after I put it back into my voice (being tired can do weird things to one's writing) I'll go ahead and post it.

Even that last question sounds a little alien when I read it. You know, because it was about nine pm when I wrote it. :)