Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411197 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3495 on: February 13, 2015, 10:24:37 AM »
Okay, so I can safely say I am the most best student in our IT class. I can draw circuits other students can't, I remember the history of computers starting from BC, I can convert binary to decimal or octal (is that the English name?) or any other numeral system like I can drink a glass of water, I'm the best!
Today in the IT lab I told the teacher that my computer didn't work. We called the technician. Who's fault is it, chaos...
All because I had forgot to switch the computer on. Just how can I be good at IT, yet forget that computers are switched on before the monitor?
Yeeees, number systems!  When I learned those, it changed everything about how I think of numbers.  It's just too cool.
At least you didn't get mad at the computer and start hitting it.  That always leads to trouble.
Feel free to PM.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #3496 on: February 13, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
Bleh, the cold I've been suffering from for about a week is back in its full strength. Bad timing, since tomorrow is one of the most important championships for me this year... and at the moment, I feel like even standing up from the couch is too much work for my body.  :-[

Most of our funny family stories involve my grandfather, but aren't really hard to believe.  ::) E.g. how he tried to convice my father and his brothers on their first trip to Italy that the white mountain tops of the Alps were covered with chalk - because c'mon, who believes in snow in summer?  :-X
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3497 on: February 13, 2015, 10:07:10 PM »
Bleh, the cold I've been suffering from for about a week is back in its full strength. Bad timing, since tomorrow is one of the most important championships for me this year... and at the moment, I feel like even standing up from the couch is too much work for my body.  :-[

Blegh. *sends get well hugs* Hope you feel better soon. :(

I...can't actually think of any weird family stories. Maybe it's just because I've assumed that they're normal for everyone. Or maybe it's just that for some reason I have trouble recalling anything anyone directly asks me about (a few minutes later is a different matter...). Huh *goes off to think*

I generally do the simplified version of conversions when possible (10010 for example, from binary to octal, is just 010->2 and 010->2, so unless I suddenly grew stupid, 10010 is 22 in octal, or 12 (0001->1 and 0010->2) in hexadecimal). I don't even know how I could cheat with a calculator (now if we're talking other systems that are not a power of 2, I suppose I COULD cheat with a calculator, but that takes all the fun out of it).

*eyes glaze over* Well, at least you're enjoying this. :P

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3498 on: February 13, 2015, 10:33:20 PM »
Blegh. *sends get well hugs* Hope you feel better soon. :(

I...can't actually think of any weird family stories. Maybe it's just because I've assumed that they're normal for everyone. Or maybe it's just that for some reason I have trouble recalling anything anyone directly asks me about (a few minutes later is a different matter...). Huh *goes off to think*
*sits in anticipation*
*eyes glaze over* Well, at least you're enjoying this. :P
Heeeh, it actually sounds like something I would've really enjoyed...if only..if only...
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3499 on: February 14, 2015, 03:24:49 AM »
Today is one of my female friends birthdays and not having to any parties since for ever due to me becomming increasingly introverted during my junior high school im a bit excited and since there is going to be some alcohol in that party and this is my first time going drinking too and i only know her in that party AND i have a crush on that girl i foresee many ways of this crash and burning horridly. Then on sunday im for the first time seeing one of my gaming friends i frequently see in skype and going to watch Fifty shades of cray with him so theres that too and i think that may go a bit better, but he said he may bring some girls that are older than i and he so i might end up as a third wheel there so eh.

Overall im a bit suprised how many things are going on in my social life at the moment really i have come a long way from the start of high school and this is something new and exciting and im really pumped up to see how this goes.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3500 on: February 14, 2015, 05:26:17 AM »
Today is one of my female friends birthdays and not having to any parties since for ever due to me becomming increasingly introverted during my junior high school im a bit excited and since there is going to be some alcohol in that party and this is my first time going drinking too and i only know her in that party AND i have a crush on that girl i foresee many ways of this crash and burning horridly. Then on sunday im for the first time seeing one of my gaming friends i frequently see in skype and going to watch Fifty shades of cray with him so theres that too and i think that may go a bit better, but he said he may bring some girls that are older than i and he so i might end up as a third wheel there so eh.

Overall im a bit suprised how many things are going on in my social life at the moment really i have come a long way from the start of high school and this is something new and exciting and im really pumped up to see how this goes.
Well, good luck. Drink responsibly and all that. And seriously, consider seeing a different movie that isn't crap. Being the third wheel means you're the one thing deciding whether your group is a lame bike or an awesome tricycle so, uh, don't worry about it.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3501 on: February 14, 2015, 06:15:34 AM »
Well, good luck. Drink responsibly and all that. And seriously, consider seeing a different movie that isn't crap. Being the third wheel means you're the one thing deciding whether your group is a lame bike or an awesome tricycle so, uh, don't worry about it.

Indeed i will most likely try taking it slow because i don't intend to get home in an ambulance and since my brothers picking me up he has the idea of "If you drink it's ok since i too did it when i was young, but don't be a jackass and be responsible."

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #3502 on: February 14, 2015, 06:38:32 AM »
This is the second day in a row I've woken up at 3:30. The few days before that I woke at four. Consistently, recently, I've actually been getting up to my 4:30 alarm. What is going oooon.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3503 on: February 14, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
Aghghgh I wanted to check my student email, but its not working on any device I try to access it from, I checked the starting date of my classes, and for some reason my drawing class says it begins THIS TUESDAY instead of the 23rd like the rest of the school, and the student site where you find out stuff about your units/homework/timetable etc ISN'T ACTIVE FOR THIS SEMESTER YET so I can't find out what materials I may or may not need to speed-buy before class, or if it truly does begin a week earlier! -___-
AGHGHGHGGHGHGHGH!
*cries forever*
Do I just email the unit coordinator/teacher from my personal email and ask her about the commencement date and art materials? (I'm kinda scared of her from the last time I emailed her...she was so grumpy and rude x__x)
I only have two art school acquaintances' (the Sigrun-esque live safer chick and the grumpy Californian) mobile numbers, so I've texted them...

haha slight update, lifesaver-friend replied, XP firstly saying "who is this why are you texting so late?" *is shot through the heart by arrow of friendship* but they were able to deduce by the lateness...and all the text faces...that is was me, so "yey they remembered my name?" XD <-- that is my level of university friendships hahahahahhhhh... but we decided that the 17th is an orientation day for first years, and even though I'm a third year, I should probably sneak in there and scope it out...just in case: not taking any chances with this potential troll teacher ;P And if I don't have to go, then I can use my day-trip to the city to go shopping instead. Sorted. Sort of. (having my student email and subject site working would still be nice...but maybe it will be better tomorrow)
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3504 on: February 14, 2015, 10:57:37 AM »
This is the second day in a row I've woken up at 3:30. The few days before that I woke at four. Consistently, recently, I've actually been getting up to my 4:30 alarm. What is going oooon.

When I first read this I thought you meant in the afternoon. :o I went to bed at 3:30!

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Deirdre

« Reply #3505 on: February 15, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
I hope you at least feel rested when waking up that early.
And I can emphasize with you a bit maybe, as for last two weeks my sleeping hours changed to midnight - 2 am and 4 am - 6 am. I don't know what's going on either, but it feels like having two additional productive hours. In the middle of the night, a bit strange maybe, but nothing to complain about.
Reminds me of when I was ten and continued sleeping from 4 am to 7 every (or every second) night for six months or so. I didn't really bother, had more time for reading :)

Fenris

« Reply #3506 on: February 15, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »
Decided to make a hnefatafl/king's table game (this). Mostly finished the board, just need to polish the edges a bit, and made the pieces themselves (just need to paint the black pieces).

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #3507 on: February 15, 2015, 11:24:59 PM »
I hope you at least feel rested when waking up that early.
And I can emphasize with you a bit maybe, as for last two weeks my sleeping hours changed to midnight - 2 am and 4 am - 6 am. I don't know what's going on either, but it feels like having two additional productive hours. In the middle of the night, a bit strange maybe, but nothing to complain about.
Reminds me of when I was ten and continued sleeping from 4 am to 7 every (or every second) night for six months or so. I didn't really bother, had more time for reading :)

I feel fine, really, and it's a good thing in many ways because I'm more productive and logical in the morning. Productivity is a good thing. The trade-off, of course, is feeling ready for bed around eight.

I read a thing about people waking up naturally in the middle of the night and then going back to sleep. I don't remember exactly what it was about, but I think it had something to do with a study where people were kept away from all forms of electricity for an extended period of time?

Varjohaltia

« Reply #3508 on: February 15, 2015, 11:29:37 PM »
I read a thing about people waking up naturally in the middle of the night and then going back to sleep. I don't remember exactly what it was about, but I think it had something to do with a study where people were kept away from all forms of electricity for an extended period of time?

I think I read the same thing. It implied that when you're not staying up late with TV, and then woken up by an alarm clock in the morning and having to go to work, it's pretty natural to wake up for a while during the night, and that's what people used to do. However, turning on the lights and watching screens that emit light and over-stimulate you will be bad for going back to sleep. (Which also applies to going to sleep to begin with.)
:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #3509 on: February 15, 2015, 11:55:48 PM »
I think a thing I've written for the book thread reads kind of like a public service announcement or like I'm trying to sell something. I'm not sure that I should post it now because I doubt I have a "public service announcement"/"salesperson" level of authority.