Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387951 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3480 on: February 12, 2015, 11:57:43 PM »
Ugh Cat tale time:

It's been quite a morning for Dolly-Dodo.

Ms. Owl, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but...
your cat has failed even the minimal qualifications for Grade C Derp-Cat.  Please start using your Emergency Cat instead. 

Signed,

Bureau of Blessed Feline Protective Standards
Frau Sunflower, Inspector

;D
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #3481 on: February 13, 2015, 12:19:30 AM »
Quote from: Bureau of Blessed Feline Protective Standards
Ms. Owl, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but...
your cat has failed even the minimal qualifications for Grade C Derp-Cat.  Please start using your Emergency Cat instead. 

Signed,

Bureau of Blessed Feline Protective Standards
Frau Sunflower, Inspector

;D
*opens letter*
*reads letter*
*falls to knees crying*
*glances over shoulder to floofcat standing in the doorway*
"You have brought this household disHONORRRRRR."

*goes to visit BBFPS office for second chance*
Heeh, in her defence Frau Inspector, she is unwell....ugh...*bows and scrapes backwards out of the building into a one-horse cab*
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:28:08 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3482 on: February 13, 2015, 01:00:45 AM »
*opens letter*
*reads letter*
*falls to knees crying*
*glances over shoulder to floofcat standing in the doorway*
"You have brought this household disHONORRRRRR."

*goes to visit BBFPS office for second chance*
Heeh, in her defence Frau Inspector, she is unwell....ugh...*bows and scrapes backwards out of the building into a one-horse cab*

I'm sorry, I need to temporarily requisition your Grade D cat for petting and cuddling and admiring her little white marshmallow paws evaluation for possible remedial training.  She will be returned within 48 hours.  72, at the latest.

Meanwhile, we advise that you rely on your secondary or backup cat, who seems to have at least rudimentary protective instincts. 

Bureau of Blessed Felines Protective Standards
/s/

P.S.  If it's any consolation, at least you don't have Grade-D *canines*...
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:02:24 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3483 on: February 13, 2015, 01:05:08 AM »
Ugh Cat tale time:
This is hilarious, and I love your cats. 
Give her a fish treat or something for making me laugh.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3484 on: February 13, 2015, 01:14:18 AM »
I'm sorry, I need to temporarily requisition your Grade D cat for petting and cuddling and admiring her little white marshmallow paws evaluation for possible remedial training.  She will be returned within 48 hours.  72, at the latest.

Meanwhile, we advise that you rely on your secondary or backup cat, who seems to have at least rudimentary protective instincts. 

Bureau of Blessed Felines Protective Standards
/s/

P.S.  If it's any consolation, at least you don't have Grade-D *canines*...
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html
Oh thank you Bureau! Of course! ;3

I feel so safe with my back-up kitty beside me..ugh...alert and..ummm...ready to attack trolls and...

This is hilarious, and I love your cats. 
Give her a fish treat or something for making me laugh.
We don't have any fish treats ;__; so I brushed her instead? X)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:45:40 PM by OrigamiOwl »

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3485 on: February 13, 2015, 01:53:03 AM »
Haha, I think that's an exact transcription of Lalli's thoughts at the moment...

(ooh she looks so fluffy and cuddly and pettable...)
Hehehe, she is a bit of a Lalli XP
And she is SOOOO cuddly and pettable... if she likes you, that is. Everyone else is run away from in terror ;___;
Hee, she likes to put her face in your hands, which I don't think Lalli would approve much of XD (maybe...;P)

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3486 on: February 13, 2015, 02:29:15 AM »
Hee, she likes to put her face in your hands, which I don't think Lalli would approve much of XD (maybe...;P)

Unless he just really needs somewhere to wipe his nose

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3487 on: February 13, 2015, 02:35:24 AM »
Nope, they WATCHED THE WHOLE THING I AM SO HORRIFIED. They said it was a lame movie though XD

It's not just a lame movie, it's a movie that makes emotional abuse seem okay by disguising it as BDSM, a blushing virgin and a sexually experienced billionaire who "just wants to be loved", and it makes me SO MAD. Seriously, I hope no one here goes to see the movie, even if it's just for laughs. Because by doing so, you'll literally be giving money to people who are promoting domestic abuse

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3488 on: February 13, 2015, 02:56:04 AM »
It's not just a lame movie, it's a movie that makes emotional abuse seem okay by disguising it as BDSM, a blushing virgin and a sexually experienced billionaire who "just wants to be loved", and it makes me SO MAD. Seriously, I hope no one here goes to see the movie, even if it's just for laughs. Because by doing so, you'll literally be giving money to people who are promoting domestic abuse
Yeah, it's a melting pot of eck -__-
I wonder how the reception and popularity of the book/movie would change if both the main characters were just really really enthusiastic and consensual about bdsm etc, and in actual love with each other, in a positive relationship. It would probably be turned into a romcom flop or something, if it got a movie deal at all...and probably wouldn't have been very popular, because 'popularity' is weird that way.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3489 on: February 13, 2015, 04:07:42 AM »
Okay, so I can safely say I am the most best student in our IT class. I can draw circuits other students can't, I remember the history of computers starting from BC, I can convert binary to decimal or octal (is that the English name?) or any other numeral system like I can drink a glass of water, I'm the best!
Today in the IT lab I told the teacher that my computer didn't work. We called the technician. Who's fault is it, chaos...
All because I had forgot to switch the computer on. Just how can I be good at IT, yet forget that computers are switched on before the monitor?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3490 on: February 13, 2015, 05:22:01 AM »
I just spent two hours walking around Bergen, taking pictures of anything inspired or influenced by Greek/Roman art and architecture. Best school day ever! We even found a statue of Poseidon which I'd never noticed before :D

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3491 on: February 13, 2015, 06:51:34 AM »
O___O Just heard the story about how my (honorary?) uncle had his knee replaced today, and how he was disappointed that he wasn't allowed to watch and so had to be content with only hearing everything from behind a curtain instead. And then how he had a weird conversation with the doctor who asked how his bones were so strong or whatever, to which he replied "Beer, steak, milk, and potatoes." and the doctor replied "Good beer!"
What is it with old-people-stories and being so outrageously over the top but you still can't tell if they're actually telling the truth because they're weird like that in their lives anyway?!? Even the way that he became my non-uncle is totally bonkers! He used to be the local policeman, and arrested/chased/scolded my dad so many times they somehow become family. Like WHAT?! That's some dukes of hazard level weirdness right there I don't even KNOW...? And then there's a story about a giant eel, and the races, and the mad horse, and the old logging days, and the swamp and and and...-.- THEY DONT SOUND REAL BUT THERE IS "EVIDENCE".?!
*laughs insanely while questioning entire life* why family...why are you so weird... -___-

Does anyone else have bizarre family tales like that? Please say yes ;__;

Okay, so I can safely say I am the most best student in our IT class. I can draw circuits other students can't, I remember the history of computers starting from BC, I can convert binary to decimal or octal (is that the English name?) or any other numeral system like I can drink a glass of water, I'm the best!
Today in the IT lab I told the teacher that my computer didn't work. We called the technician. Who's fault is it, chaos...
All because I had forgot to switch the computer on. Just how can I be good at IT, yet forget that computers are switched on before the monitor?
*laughs too hard*
*laughs forever*
How awkward was it?! Tell! Tell! Tell! XD Awwwww nooooo! *hugs Nimphy while still laughing*
Your brain is too full of knowledge and talent Nimph, that turning on the computer had been put into storage. That is the only logical explanation ;)

I just spent two hours walking around Bergen, taking pictures of anything inspired or influenced by Greek/Roman art and architecture. Best school day ever! We even found a statue of Poseidon which I'd never noticed before :D
Cool! That sounds like my kind of outing :3
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:16:40 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Varjohaltia

« Reply #3492 on: February 13, 2015, 08:54:37 AM »

Ooops. I can sympathize, though.

Here's another useless trick for your bag, that nothing in computing AFAIK uses anymore. Back in the day, studying for a networking certification, we had to be able to convert an 8-bit value to be read from left to right to right to left, because of incredibly silly reasons i blame IBM for. So, say, 192 = 1100000 -> 0000011 = 3. One of our vendor engineers would do that automatically in his head. You'd give him any random decimal number, like 185, and within a second he'd give you the flipped number.

For any number conversions, including octal, I cheat and use a calculator.
:finland: Fluent
:usa: Fluent
:germany: Understands
:sweden: Rudimentary
:japan: Horrible

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3493 on: February 13, 2015, 09:09:52 AM »
In the end people are going to watch it just because of all the buzz. Like they say, all PR is good PR (ask Miley Cyrus).

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3494 on: February 13, 2015, 09:21:49 AM »
Ooops. I can sympathize, though.

Here's another useless trick for your bag, that nothing in computing AFAIK uses anymore. Back in the day, studying for a networking certification, we had to be able to convert an 8-bit value to be read from left to right to right to left, because of incredibly silly reasons i blame IBM for. So, say, 192 = 1100000 -> 0000011 = 3. One of our vendor engineers would do that automatically in his head. You'd give him any random decimal number, like 185, and within a second he'd give you the flipped number.

For any number conversions, including octal, I cheat and use a calculator.

Oooh that flipping numbers thing looks so fun! *Nimphy's definition of fun is not very traditional*

I generally do the simplified version of conversions when possible (10010 for example, from binary to octal, is just 010->2 and 010->2, so unless I suddenly grew stupid, 10010 is 22 in octal, or 12 (0001->1 and 0010->2) in hexadecimal). I don't even know how I could cheat with a calculator (now if we're talking other systems that are not a power of 2, I suppose I COULD cheat with a calculator, but that takes all the fun out of it).

O___O Just heard the story about how my (honorary?) uncle had his knee replaced today, and how he was disappointed that he wasn't allowed to watch and so had to be content with only hearing everything from behind a curtain instead. And then how he had a weird conversation with the doctor who asked how his bones were so strong or whatever, to which he replied "Beer, steak, milk, and potatoes." and the doctor replied "Good beer!"
What is it with old-people-stories and being so outrageously over the top but you still can't tell if they're actually telling the truth because they're weird like that in their lives anyway?!? Even the way that he became my non-uncle is totally bonkers! He used to be the local policeman, and arrested/chased/scolded my dad so many times they somehow become family. Like WHAT?! That's some dukes of hazard level weirdness right there I don't even KNOW...? And then there's a story about a giant eel, and the races, and the mad horse, and the old logging days, and the swamp and and and...-.- THEY DONT SOUND REAL BUT THERE IS "EVIDENCE".?!
*laughs insanely while questioning entire life* why family...why are you so weird... -___-

Does anyone else have bizarre family tales like that? Please say yes ;__;

...No, I'm afraid I don't have stories THAT bizzarre. But I have a lot of stories involving my dad and forbidden TV channels, uncle and car chases with the police, grandpa and hilariously mistaken names, and some more.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, yeah. I remembered other stories. I guess all families are bizzarre.

*laughs too hard*
*laughs forever*
How awkward was it?! Tell! Tell! Tell! XD Awwwww nooooo! *hugs Nimphy while still laughing*
Your brain is too full of knowledge and talent Nimph, that turning on the computer had been put into storage. That is the only logical explanation ;)

Very awkward  :-[ But it was indeed pretty funny. I'm glad the teacher didn't notice what the fault in the computer was, he was too busy filing a report for another (actual) problem - scratched screens and some hooligans who had fun taking out a few memory cables.

And yes! I am too smart to remember menial things such as switching computers on!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:40:01 PM by Nimphy »
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: