Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387924 times)

Richard Weir

• Scout
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3465 on: February 11, 2015, 08:57:36 PM »
People get awful uptight about what in Britain is called "yobbish" behaviour - nothing harmful or damaging, but too loud, inconsiderate of others and demonstrating a lack of respect for legal restrictions. Just revving a car engine can be infuriating to others who are trying to sleep, whether it's moving or not! Walking down the street after having a skinful and having a fun discussion can offend - if you are drunkenly unaware of how loud you are.

It's a learning curve - keep quiet, and you won't accidentally upset other people who you are unaware of. Make noise, and get a ticket. We live too close together to be able to just do what we want.

Also, the reason police didn't want to prosecute this will be because they have more important things to do. That doesn't mean racing in carparks is legal!
My one-and-only: :uk:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #3466 on: February 11, 2015, 09:40:36 PM »
People get awful uptight about what in Britain is called "yobbish" behaviour - nothing harmful or damaging, but too loud, inconsiderate of others and demonstrating a lack of respect for legal restrictions. Just revving a car engine can be infuriating to others who are trying to sleep, whether it's moving or not! Walking down the street after having a skinful and having a fun discussion can offend - if you are drunkenly unaware of how loud you are.

It's a learning curve - keep quiet, and you won't accidentally upset other people who you are unaware of. Make noise, and get a ticket. We live too close together to be able to just do what we want.

Also, the reason police didn't want to prosecute this will be because they have more important things to do. That doesn't mean racing in carparks is legal!
I agree, that kind of behavior is bleugh. (I personally get really uncomfortable [and kinda scared] around it but that's just me) But wouldn't the fine be...fine? Here, I think you can get your car impounded for hooning or something, which I think is ok. But prison seems a bit...heavy...? (How can you go to prison for something like that? Unless he did something reeeeeally bad?)
But we don't really know how hoon-like the guy and his mates were being.
Either way, 1) he shoulda known better and 2) from the info we have the lady is being a bit over dramatic. I think they both need a little slap on the wrist :P like "you! Drive sensibly! You! Don't be a twat!" (<-- as in the "annoying person" meaning and not anything rude o__o)

Heh, this comes to mind XP
http://satwcomic.com/battle-cry
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:58:28 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #3467 on: February 11, 2015, 10:39:45 PM »
How can you go to prison for something like that? Unless he did something reeeeeally bad?
Jurisdictions do differ like that, usually mirroring the morals and opinions of the populace, which means that inherent logic is optional.

As an example, in all of Western Europe, having a radar detector (the "avoid speed traps" kind) installed in your car will be fined as a minor offense (up to four digits, though) - except in Luxembourg, where it's labeled a felony so as to allow a prison sentence (up to two years IIRC). I guess their legislators really dislike people (many visiting foreigners) who think they can outsmart the local police.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3468 on: February 12, 2015, 06:13:45 AM »

Well, honestly, the constant revelries every night of the week when I studied in England made me want to dish out some vigilante justice. Then again I lived on a university campus so it need not be representative of how it generally is in the English suburbs. I live in a very isolated place here in Norway so I can't compare it either.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that you can actually afford to get absolutely smashed every day of the week even though you live with a student's economy.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3469 on: February 12, 2015, 08:04:06 AM »
Well, honestly, the constant revelries every night of the week when I studied in England made me want to dish out some vigilante justice. Then again I lived on a university campus so it need not be representative of how it generally is in the English suburbs. I live in a very isolated place here in Norway so I can't compare it either.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that you can actually afford to get absolutely smashed every day of the week even though you live with a student's economy.
Ueah, cheap alcohol would definitely affect rambunctiousness levels.  Of course, there's always moonshine...
Feel free to PM.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3470 on: February 12, 2015, 10:27:34 AM »
Jurisdictions do differ like that, usually mirroring the morals and opinions of the populace, which means that inherent logic is optional.

As an example, in all of Western Europe, having a radar detector (the "avoid speed traps" kind) installed in your car will be fined as a minor offense (up to four digits, though) - except in Luxembourg, where it's labeled a felony so as to allow a prison sentence (up to two years IIRC). I guess their legislators really dislike people (many visiting foreigners) who think they can outsmart the local police.

Yeah, Luxembourg is very much a no nonsense kind of country, especially in regards to foreigners.

Walking down the street after having a skinful and having a fun discussion can offend - if you are drunkenly unaware of how loud you are.

That entirely depends on where you live, in some places it is just accepted.  Sure it might bother me some nights, but I'm guilty of doing the same, also being woken up at 6am is worth it to see a well built grown man crying like a babe because he punched through a window and shredded his arm.

Ueah, cheap alcohol would definitely affect rambunctiousness levels.  Of course, there's always moonshine...

Ah yes, moonshine :).  There is just something special about bathtub vodka that you don't find in other brands.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3471 on: February 12, 2015, 10:55:53 AM »
also being woken up at 6am is worth it to see a well built grown man crying like a babe because he punched through a window and shredded his arm.

... Did we live in the same university dorm or is this a regular occurence?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:25:23 PM by Fimbulvarg »

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3472 on: February 12, 2015, 07:16:59 PM »
While browsing lately, I've been seeing ads for Direct Flights to Oslo! Copenhagen! Stockholm!

Apparently google has caught on to my interests.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3473 on: February 12, 2015, 07:35:11 PM »
While browsing lately, I've been seeing ads for Direct Flights to Oslo! Copenhagen! Stockholm!
Apparently google has caught on to my interests.
One way tickets, I trust? ;D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3474 on: February 12, 2015, 08:36:38 PM »
My mom and grandma just sent me three whole boxes full of food, the majority of which was snack food... so much snack food that I can't even find room in my kitchen. I guess if you ever need fruit snacks, call me. :P

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3475 on: February 12, 2015, 10:00:39 PM »
Ahaahaha... my grandparents went to the cinema and saw fifty shades of grey, without knowing what it was about 9____9
(or did they? What a horrifying thought...agh)

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3476 on: February 12, 2015, 10:47:11 PM »
Ahaahaha... my grandparents went to the cinema and saw fifty shades of grey, without knowing what it was about 9____9
(or did they? What a horrifying thought...agh)
I'm guessing they left before the 20 minute sex scene.
This movie genuinely upsets me. 
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3477 on: February 12, 2015, 10:48:17 PM »
I'm guessing they left before the 20 minute sex scene.
This movie genuinely upsets me.
Nope, they WATCHED THE WHOLE THING I AM SO HORRIFIED. They said it was a lame movie though XD

Silenter

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • So sorry.
« Reply #3478 on: February 12, 2015, 10:54:40 PM »
My mom and grandma just sent me three whole boxes full of food, the majority of which was snack food... so much snack food that I can't even find room in my kitchen. I guess if you ever need fruit snacks, call me. :P
Well that saves some money. :)
Half-crumbled I guess: :southkorea:
Main language: :usa:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3479 on: February 12, 2015, 11:25:11 PM »
Ugh Cat tale time:

It's been quite a morning for Dolly-Dodo...after her early morning walk, she came inside and vomited all through the house ;___; only one made it onto the carpet though because we rushed over in time with paper towel for her to blurgh on for the other times. So she waddled back outside with Mitzi while we cleaned up, and by the time we were done she had run away to hide in shame like usual...she hid very well, and after an hour of calling her and looking around with Mitz, I decided to walk all the way down to the old sheds, grumbling and cursing etc. Mitz followed after me, wailing because I'd left the yard oh my gosh I'm going to get eaten what a nightmare! But she gave up and just waited for me to come back.
I eventually found Dodo in the old hay/shearing/chemical/saw storage shed, (a beast nest if ever I saw one) in between a crate of tarp and the roof...and she was too derpy to jump over the gate to get out, so I had to jump in there and grab her. And then the ute pulled up and dad offered us a lift back to the house, but she was not going to be put in the ute, and went berserk! *is proud of being able to restrain crazy cats with hugs so well* (you don't even wanna know what happened the last time she got a ride home in the ute x___x)
So I declined the lift and started to carry her home via the orchard road, until the ute was gone and she decided that she wanted to walk herself. She took her sweet time -__-
We met Mitzi halfway home- she was waiting under a tree, and greeted me with an annoyed "NnnnNnnNNnnNNnfff!" and galloped around my feet all the way back up the hill, really impatient to get back u__u She worries I guess.
Dolly came inside and plopped down against the fridge, refusing to move even when the door was opened so she was slid out of the way by the door...and just stayed there XD
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:44:29 PM by OrigamiOwl »