Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410581 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3450 on: February 11, 2015, 08:27:24 AM »
Aah! More first world problems... Everyone keeps talking about me. Behind my back. Not in a nice manner. I keep hearing my name, and when I look there are people grinning and looking at me, yet they pretend they said nothing... I'm used to it by now, it's happened since I can remember, but it still annoys me. Can't they at least say whatever they have to say to my darn face?
Kids are just dumb.  They oughta grow out of that and own up to the things they say.
That happened to me in high school, too.  Just wait until you start questioning your own ears and getting paranoid.  :\
Feel free to PM.

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #3451 on: February 11, 2015, 08:48:28 AM »
Can't they at least say whatever they have to say to my darn face?

No, they can't. They're cowards. It is always easy to talk behind one's back, but saying it to one's face requires some nerve. Sadly, that is not only kids' problem, adults do it too.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:50:23 AM by curiosity »
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3452 on: February 11, 2015, 09:46:14 AM »
I've never been in a newspaper (to my knowledge), but I did appear in a not-widely-read magazine when I was twelve. :D
(The article is embarrassing, but this is twelve-year-old me. It was a halloween costume, if anyone's wondering.)
Breaking news: Space Admiral Yenip, ambassador of the planet Kcops to planet Terra, comes bringing a message of peace to the inhabitants of Earth.

Aah! More first world problems... Everyone keeps talking about me. Behind my back. Not in a nice manner. I keep hearing my name, and when I look there are people grinning and looking at me, yet they pretend they said nothing... I'm used to it by now, it's happened since I can remember, but it still annoys me. Can't they at least say whatever they have to say to my darn face?
Well, there're these things called "kidnapping" and "waterboarding"....

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #3453 on: February 11, 2015, 02:04:53 PM »
So I had this brainsurge: some of the population has gained immunity, and people being people, they rrrreeeeally love power, so maybe (pulling a discreet face with shoulders pulled in) they tried something like weaponizing them somewhere, experiment on the mutation process, some form of harnessing their peculiar strengths, maybe even found out how to lure them towards somewhere on a large scale trail. Just saiyan :P
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3454 on: February 11, 2015, 04:32:14 PM »
I got a 70 on the test I thought I did good on.  I officially have Cs all three of my important classes.  I may need to stop admin-ing for a while this semester, so I can keep on top of my grades.

Also, my freshman roommate is in court tomorrow.  He got a ticket for "racing" in a parking lot with a friend (he said he was going 20 miles per hour, which is probably less than he was going, but...), and some woman called the cops on them.  The police man said he wouldn't have even given them a ticket, if he had caught them, but the lady wanted to sue, so they had no choice.  If the law didn't find anything wrong with what they were doing, then the only reason he's in court is because he bothered the woman, which he had no way of knowing about.  Clearly, then, something's either wrong with her, or there's something that isn't clear.  Either way, my 19 year old roommate could be facing 60 days in prison.  Who in their right mind would sue to put some kid in prison, for driving in an empty parking lot?  ...
Lawsuits are just... the stupidest, pettiest, slimiest ways to get what you want. 

[/double rant]

I think I need to lie down for a while. 
Feel free to PM.

P__

« Reply #3455 on: February 11, 2015, 05:02:07 PM »
and people being people, they rrrreeeeally love power
up to that point I was thinking you'd go something like "the immune have made themselves into some sort of 1st-class citizens"

I'm sure there's been plenty of experimenting with immunity; maybe not with actual people (but who knows, it's chaos), but cats, immune animals and human samples definitely
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

DzigaWatt

• Just 5 more mins
« Reply #3456 on: February 11, 2015, 05:42:57 PM »
Well, I was thingking more in the way "there, beyond the horizon, in the deep unknown, maybe there's a person with the same thoughts as me, but somehow different, maybe he has different abilities, maybe he's evil, or likes to help, or has evolved into three-eyed jigglypuffs"
can discuss the meaning of life:
like a second mother-language:
won't starve:
dATumblr

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #3457 on: February 11, 2015, 05:53:42 PM »
I got a 70 on the test I thought I did good on.  I officially have Cs all three of my important classes.  I may need to stop admin-ing for a while this semester, so I can keep on top of my grades.

Also, my freshman roommate is in court tomorrow.  He got a ticket for "racing" in a parking lot with a friend (he said he was going 20 miles per hour, which is probably less than he was going, but...), and some woman called the cops on them.  The police man said he wouldn't have even given them a ticket, if he had caught them, but the lady wanted to sue, so they had no choice.  If the law didn't find anything wrong with what they were doing, then the only reason he's in court is because he bothered the woman, which he had no way of knowing about.  Clearly, then, something's either wrong with her, or there's something that isn't clear.  Either way, my 19 year old roommate could be facing 60 days in prison.  Who in their right mind would sue to put some kid in prison, for driving in an empty parking lot?  ...
Lawsuits are just... the stupidest, pettiest, slimiest ways to get what you want. 

[/double rant]

Surely if what they were doing wasn't a crime and they were doing it on public property she has no grounds to complain?  Not that I think that will stop courts from handing out penalties, but from a strictly legal point of view.

P__

« Reply #3458 on: February 11, 2015, 05:54:58 PM »
ooh, yes, srry I misread. that too :P
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3459 on: February 11, 2015, 05:56:42 PM »

Eh, I see people driving recklessly in parking lots all the time. I have absolutely no idea what I would have to do in order to sue them (if I wanted to, it's never occured to me). At any rate the woman or her lawyers will have to prove that the driving was dangerous, no? The court won't just take her word for it presumably.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3460 on: February 11, 2015, 06:43:11 PM »
Either way, my 19 year old roommate could be facing 60 days in prison.
That possibility should be the hallmark of some part of the penal code being invoked here, which AFAIK means that the lady can push for DA and police to investigate, but it's their decision to acknowledge "public interest" in actual prosecution and bring the case to court. Or are we talking about some form of preliminary (certiorari) stage, rather than the merits stage?

http://www.scotusblog.com/reference/educational-resources/supreme-court-procedure/

At any rate the woman or her lawyers will have to prove that the driving was dangerous, no? The court won't just take her word for it presumably.
No, but if Eichs roommate already has admitted to having been going at 20 mph or whatever, believing it to be legal or at least below law enforcement's radar, that could be a done deal already. There's a reason why people getting arrested are advised not to make statements before legal counsel is present, even if they're convinced to not have done anything wrong ...

(Does the relevant street code have a general speed limit for parking lots? I trust that there's no explicit signage at that lot?)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3461 on: February 11, 2015, 08:10:18 PM »

Eugh... *has horrible flashbacks to recent chemistry test* :( Quite frankly though, your grades are probably more important than internet fan-forums, so take all the time you need.

Hope your roommate also gets out okay. I mean, "reckless kids" racing in parking lots might seem stupid...but why on earth would you just want to sue a random stranger for doing that?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3462 on: February 11, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »

I've never been in a newspaper (to my knowledge), but I did appear in a not-widely-read magazine when I was twelve. :D
(The article is embarrassing, but this is twelve-year-old me. It was a halloween costume, if anyone's wondering.)

Awww!  That's both cute and ingenious.  Were you a lighthouse keeper -- is that how you ended up in Lighthouse Digest? 
And does this have a connection to your profile quote? 

Assuming it is, here's some appropriate music (which, come to think of it, came out right around the time of that photo...).
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3463 on: February 11, 2015, 08:39:24 PM »
Awww!  That's both cute and ingenious.  Were you a lighthouse keeper -- is that how you ended up in Lighthouse Digest? 
And does this have a connection to your profile quote? 

Assuming it is, here's some appropriate music (which, come to think of it, came out right around the time of that photo...).

Ahaha, yes, yes and yes :) (For the most part - it's more or less just become my default signature quote) Nice detective work!

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3464 on: February 11, 2015, 08:43:22 PM »
Ugh, kids -____-
In my experience, kids who do that kind of thing don't even have anything interesting to say anyway; incredibly lame stuff XD Plus, you're a high achiever type person, so some of the kids would probably feel jealous or threatened by your smarts and maturity, and do petty things to try and make you feel bad to make themselves feel better and more important. Don't let it get to you too much :( *hugs*

That's fine Eich, :) we promise not to accidentally burn the place down while you're away studying ;P

[/double rant]

Ugh. UGH. What? What a crazy lady?! Wanting to sue....? How did his driving inconvenience her in any way that she needs compensation?! (is that what suing is..??) That's a bit of a farce O__o
Anywho, go~ go study~ (/or lie down, either is good) *shoos and supplies with biscuits* :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:59:00 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16: