Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410518 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #19290 on: February 09, 2023, 08:58:29 AM »
Yeah, the warning about Sydney Funnelweb spiders is completely justified. I still remember how proud I was of my oldest son when he saved another child from being bitten by one. He was six or seven at the time. We were with a group of friends and relatives in the backyard of a house in the Sydney suburbs, having a barbecue and a bit of a sing. The other child was maybe two. They were sitting on some rocks waiting for their lunch to be ready when my lad realised that the spider crawling on the other child’s head was a Sydney Funnelweb. And that it was beginning to rear up on its hind legs, which is the posture from which they bite. Bless him, he didn’t scream or panic, just moved a little so he could flick the spider off her head, then jumped on it and killed it. The little girl wasn’t hurt, and grew up to be a nice and useful person, for which I am very glad.

Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #19291 on: February 09, 2023, 11:07:52 AM »
Yeah, the warning about Sydney Funnelweb spiders is completely justified. I still remember how proud I was of my oldest son when he saved another child from being bitten by one. He was six or seven at the time. We were with a group of friends and relatives in the backyard of a house in the Sydney suburbs, having a barbecue and a bit of a sing. The other child was maybe two. They were sitting on some rocks waiting for their lunch to be ready when my lad realised that the spider crawling on the other child’s head was a Sydney Funnelweb. And that it was beginning to rear up on its hind legs, which is the posture from which they bite. Bless him, he didn’t scream or panic, just moved a little so he could flick the spider off her head, then jumped on it and killed it. The little girl wasn’t hurt, and grew up to be a nice and useful person, for which I am very glad.
First, I'm glad that the little girl was unharmed.

Second, considering how dangerous those spiders sound on your explanation, I'm quite glad they are not 6m long as I made them look next to the running guy.  O_O

Third, I wasn't aware that the "Spider side view" image that I grabbed from the internet was of a Sidney Funnelweb spider. I guess my instincts just told me "That one looks dangerous".  :)  (Maybe some distant genetic memory?)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Róisín

« Reply #19292 on: February 09, 2023, 05:38:18 PM »
I think it is their striking posture that makes them look so scary. Like any mygalomorph spider they rear up to strike, and that posture just screams ‘dangerous’. Many spiders with that body type are very venomous.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19293 on: February 10, 2023, 08:09:15 PM »
Hey, at least we don't have bears!

I suppose the legendary drop bears are not actually ursine, so I suppose you're right?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #19294 on: February 10, 2023, 09:25:42 PM »
I’ve always wondered where the drop bear story originated. The early settlers did assume koalas were ursine, but they are a marsupial, just with a bearlike shape.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #19295 on: February 11, 2023, 12:09:54 AM »

Wow, that's definitely cause for being proud of your son - a funnelweb's bite could kill a two-year-old really quickly. We don't have funnelwebs in the west but I do remember in primary school when I was about 7 years old a kid got bitten by a redback spider during class (maybe it was hiding in a furniture crevice or something). He had to be taken to the town hospital but thankfully he ended up being okay.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #19296 on: February 11, 2023, 03:08:28 AM »
There is an excellent redback antivenene nowadays, and not all bites envenom the victim much. I have had several such bites, and suffered nothing worse than nausea and a headache. On the other hand, a whitetail spider bite caused me a lot of pain, ulcerated badly and annoyed me for months. Probably varies with the spider, the level of envenomation and the state of health of the victim. A little kid with fine delicate skin will likely take more damage than a big tough adult.

I certainly don’t take redback bites lightly, having seen some very nasty ones. I remember a newspaper article from a few years back concerning a big redback found on the back of a filing cabinet in an office in Perth, which had trapped in its web a young dugite snake (a thoroughly poisonous animal in its own right) which the spider had bitten and killed. I would not care to have worked in that office!

For the Americans among us: our Redback spider is Latrodectus hasseltii, similar to your Black Widow spider and New Zealand’s katipo. There are several South American species, and I think even a European one. The females have the more deadly venom, and often eat the males after mating, hence their common name of Widow Spiders.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #19297 on: February 11, 2023, 04:56:03 AM »
they are a marsupial, just with a bearlike shape.
As if it folk nomenclature ever needed more than a superficial scale-agnostic resemblance ... 8)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

« Reply #19298 on: February 11, 2023, 06:40:39 AM »
Tardigrades are tiny and beautiful, and remarkably tough. I admire that!

Róisín

« Reply #19299 on: February 13, 2023, 08:16:35 AM »
The news broadcasts say that Gabrielle,  our most recent cyclone, is veering across the Tasman toward Auckland. As if they haven’t had enough awful weather lately! We hope Wavewright is okay, as well as the rest of the people in the area.

Róisín

« Reply #19300 on: February 15, 2023, 01:39:17 AM »
And further to the weather: we have just received a Fire Weather Warning broadcast for our area. It warns of rising winds and heat, possibility of dry thunderstorms with lightning. Since there have been quite a lot of fires started by lightning around here lately, we are nervous. I have all the garden hoses connected ready to wet things down. What a nuisance!

Róisín

« Reply #19301 on: February 15, 2023, 02:16:13 AM »
Just had notice of a scrub and grass fire at Cromer, about 8k/5 miles from here. Listed as 10 vehicles and 5 firefighting aircraft in attendance, so hopefully it will be controlled soon.

Róisín

« Reply #19302 on: February 15, 2023, 03:16:46 AM »
Further update: while the edge of the Cromer fire has moved a couple of kilometres nearer to us, the severity of the fire has been downgraded slightly. The firefighting planes have gone to deal with something else, and there are now only 6 fire engines attending. Still a worry, but less than it was.

More concerned about NZ where they have just had an earthquake near Wellington. As if storms and cyclone were not enough….

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #19303 on: February 15, 2023, 05:44:14 AM »
Glad to know things are under control on your side and that you're safe, Róisín.

Now I'd love to hear the same from Wave.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #19304 on: February 15, 2023, 07:40:45 AM »
Yeah, I hope Wave's alright - I heard about the cyclone that went through Auckland recently and then also the earthquake.

Róisín, I'm glad you're alright and that the fire isn't as bad as it first appeared.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport