Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409366 times)

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3255 on: January 28, 2015, 10:06:36 AM »
I read at a reasonable pace, but I tend to lose focus so I often have to reread entire chapters because I spaced out in the middle of it (but somehow kept "reading").

I do that, but more like a paragraph or a page. I think I space out and think about other things while reading. A side benefit, I can reread books a lot because I don't remember most of the details of a book....
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3256 on: January 28, 2015, 10:15:09 AM »
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it. People do things differently, and not everyone has the same amount of time or interests. It's interesting to see how everyone does something (or maybe I'm just the only one who thinks it's interesting).

I really hope I didn't sound like I was implying that, and I apologize if I did...sometimes I forget that people can't read my mind >>;;

Don't worry, it didn't sound like you genuinely thought that. It was just an unfortunate choice of words ;) I just wanted to make you aware of it before things became uncomfortable for anyone c:

And I agree, it's really intereting how people do they same things in completely different ways. Like how some people do their homework because they decided weeks ago that they would be doing this exact thing at this exact time, while I do my homework because I suddenly feel like that's what I should be doing right now, even though I'm in the middle of doing something else (I think their way works better than mine...)

I don't usually space out when I'm reading fiction (although I do it a lot at school). I have the opposite problem. Or, I guess whether it is actually a problem is debatable. Anyway, I become so focused on what I'm reading that I completely zone out. People could be talking to me and I might not even notice. Just last week I was reading on the bus, and suddenly I looked up and the whole bus was empty. We had come to the final stop without me noticing, and the bus was now turning around to go back into the city (luckily I was going to the final stop, so we hadn't actually driven past my stop). Hahaha, the bus driver hadn't even noticed that I was still sitting there... I had to just awkwardly tell him that I thought this was the bus that went all the way to where I live.

FinnishViking

• Scout
  • Slender and sleep deprived
« Reply #3257 on: January 28, 2015, 10:17:59 AM »
Personally i read so fast that if a read a series of them they tend to blend together in a fashion where i can't recall what book had what details in them. This kinda works against me especially whenever im talking with friends about series that i have already read and they are in middle of reading. There have been few cases of them getting quite angry at me for spoiling some priiitty important parts. ( certain wedding was spilled to one of my friends and he is still kind of pissed at me  :P )

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3258 on: January 28, 2015, 10:24:01 AM »
Personally i read so fast that if a read a series of them they tend to blend together in a fashion where i can't recall what book had what details in them. This kinda works against me especially whenever im talking with friends about series that i have already read and they are in middle of reading. There have been few cases of them getting quite angry at me for spoiling some priiitty important parts. ( certain wedding was spilled to one of my friends and he is still kind of pissed at me  :P )

Yeah, I have the same problem. To me it's all just part of the same story. I mean, it's not like events are just conveniently divided into books in real life, right?

(are we talking about a red or a purple wedding here?)

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #3259 on: January 28, 2015, 10:31:17 AM »
Yeah, I have the same problem. To me it's all just part of the same story. I mean, it's not like events are just conveniently divided into books in real life, right?

(are we talking about a red or a purple wedding here?)

Indeed it was the colour of death which they were angry at.

And yeah that what happens to me. Especially when you read them back to back and can't wait to jump one the next one.

I guess i should read books one by one, but that is just so irritating i want to know what my favorite charicters are going to do and waiting George to write the next book is always so agonizing. And any book smaller than 500 pages i can finish in a day if i really get in to it and thats why these days i don't really read single books. Either it is going to be a series or i'm usually disdained to read it. My friends keep making fun of me reading really long history books, but really more pages usually means more detail that makes me want to read on regardless of the lenght.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3260 on: January 28, 2015, 10:47:56 AM »
Hmm, I haven't read a novel novel that wasn't for school since, like, 2012... Pretty sure it was the last Hunger Games book. When my grandma learned that I'd finished reading the book, she congratulated me and treated me like I'd passed some milestone... I was really offended because like... I've read a book before, grandma, it's not like I have reading problems... But yeah, I think that says a lot about my relationship with books.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3261 on: January 28, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »
Indeed it was the colour of death which they were angry at.

And yeah that what happens to me. Especially when you read them back to back and can't wait to jump one the next one.

I guess i should read books one by one, but that is just so irritating i want to know what my favorite charicters are going to do and waiting George to write the next book is always so agonizing. And any book smaller than 500 pages i can finish in a day if i really get in to it and thats why these days i don't really read single books. Either it is going to be a series or i'm usually disdained to read it. My friends keep making fun of me reading really long history books, but really more pages usually means more detail that makes me want to read on regardless of the lenght.

But single books can be really nice! It's like watching a movie versus watching a tv-series c:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3262 on: January 28, 2015, 10:59:38 AM »
I think the last time I read a novel was summer last year. I would read more often but I read so much stuff every day that I can't enjoy reading as leisure. My geomorphology book is nearly a thousand densely packed pages of stuff.

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #3263 on: January 28, 2015, 01:50:01 PM »
But single books can be really nice! It's like watching a movie versus watching a tv-series c:

Well yeah, but since im a season a day kind of guy i really just blow trough any enterntainment presented to me.

Still i do read some single books that are usually hefty in size or something i generally find endearing ( stuff like historical settings, Sci-fi, fantasy all that good stuff. ). Bernand Cromwells Azincourt i admit was quite a fun read and set things up quite nicely for the end too so i wasn't left wondering about any of the charicters.

asadderandawiserman

« Reply #3264 on: January 28, 2015, 05:14:39 PM »

I'm super into serialised fiction, so I way prefer book series' to single books, in the same way that I prefer TV shows to movies. It's one of the same reasons I like SSSS so much. I really wish there was more prose available in serialised forms though, like a chapter per week type thing.

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3265 on: January 28, 2015, 05:50:36 PM »
I'm super into serialised fiction, so I way prefer book series' to single books, in the same way that I prefer TV shows to movies. It's one of the same reasons I like SSSS so much. I really wish there was more prose available in serialised forms though, like a chapter per week type thing.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a book. If your reading for the fictional universes and the characters and lots and lots of details, then obviously series are much better. But there are books that are just beautiful on their own, too. The kind of books that change your view your view of the world, or make you cry, or leave you just thinking really hard for days, and maybe even weeks, after you finish them. I think my best example is Jostein Gaarder's books. He's one of my favourite authors, and his books are just these little masterpieces that don't even need a series because they're so perfect on their own and I adore them to bits

Whoops, I have a feeling I'm not making much sense right now... That'd probably be because I went to the psychologist today, meaning that
 a) I'm feeling totally drained right now. So tireeeed.
and b) I'm thinking way too hard about things

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #3266 on: January 28, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »
I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a book. If your reading for the fictional universes and the characters and lots and lots of details, then obviously series are much better. But there are books that are just beautiful on their own, too. The kind of books that change your view your view of the world, or make you cry, or leave you just thinking really hard for days, and maybe even weeks, after you finish them. I think my best example is Jostein Gaarder's books. He's one of my favourite authors, and his books are just these little masterpieces that don't even need a series because they're so perfect on their own and I adore them to bits

Whoops, I have a feeling I'm not making much sense right now... That'd probably be because I went to the psychologist today, meaning that
 a) I'm feeling totally drained right now. So tireeeed.
and b) I'm thinking way too hard about things

Well honestly im tired as well, but my mind is revolving around arguing about the elder scrolls lore so can't sleep quite just yet.

Buut it its never too late to visit the good night tread and close down the forum for a good nights sleep

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3267 on: January 28, 2015, 05:58:51 PM »
Buut it its never too late to visit the good night tread and close down the forum for a good nights sleep

That... sounds like a pretty good idea *looks at watch showing 23:58 and alarm set to 06:15*

FinnishViking

• Scout
« Reply #3268 on: January 28, 2015, 06:05:08 PM »
That... sounds like a pretty good idea *looks at watch showing 23:58 and alarm set to 06:15*

*realises it's 1am and for some min torturing reaaon the alarm is set at 6am* Yeah we are on the same boat on that one, but i guess i need to make my signature justice.  ;D

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #3269 on: January 28, 2015, 08:31:12 PM »
I don't think there's anything wrong with people who can't read fast. Some people find reading difficult or don't find it fun and some people read slowly on purpose - or not, but it doesn't really matter. As long as a person finds a way to enjoy a story that they actually enjoy, it's good enough for me.