Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2388038 times)

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3225 on: January 27, 2015, 03:56:39 AM »
Night full of work and progress  ;D

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3226 on: January 27, 2015, 04:57:59 AM »
I forgot to mention, but his weekend I joined a project at Kode (the biggest art museum/gallery in Bergen). Basically me and 20-something other people from 17-20 years are going to function as curators for one of the exhibitions? Yeah, I'm not really sure what we'll be doing, but it seems really exciting! We're going to have five meetings, and then we'll host some kind of event at the museum, which we are going to plan during said meetings. I signed up not really knowing what it entailed, but I think it's going to be a very interesting experience! :D

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3227 on: January 27, 2015, 07:43:20 AM »
I forgot to mention, but his weekend I joined a project at Kode (the biggest art museum/gallery in Bergen). Basically me and 20-something other people from 17-20 years are going to function as curators for one of the exhibitions? Yeah, I'm not really sure what we'll be doing, but it seems really exciting! We're going to have five meetings, and then we'll host some kind of event at the museum, which we are going to plan during said meetings. I signed up not really knowing what it entailed, but I think it's going to be a very interesting experience! :D

Yay for you! Tell us more when you do know the details!

Meanwhile, I'm super-happy because I FINALLY got my 10 in English (it's the maximum grade over here - and my teacher didn't want to give me or anyone else more than nine. Why? Because grades are not important and we're on our first year so naturally we are not intelligent enough to get top grades). It took me a couple of letters and lots of stress, but when I volunteered today for oral test I went pretty well. In the start he wanted to give me not a full grade (9.5), then my face probably did not promise well, so he quickly changed idea :D
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3228 on: January 27, 2015, 08:45:38 AM »

Meanwhile, I'm super-happy because I FINALLY got my 10 in English (it's the maximum grade over here - and my teacher didn't want to give me or anyone else more than nine. Why? Because grades are not important and we're on our first year so naturally we are not intelligent enough to get top grades). It took me a couple of letters and lots of stress, but when I volunteered today for oral test I went pretty well. In the start he wanted to give me not a full grade (9.5), then my face probably did not promise well, so he quickly changed idea :D
*Applauds*
About dang time!  Glad that jerk finally came around, even if it took angry death-stares.
1) I think we need a new thread for that.  You had message 18,000 -- eighteen thousand! -- in this thread, and SSSS stage-setting/cosplay deserves a room all its own, I believe.  (Ideally, not one with locked doors and leather restraints... unless safe words are involved...  ;) )

As it happens, *I* have thread-splitting powers.  Shall I use them??? 

Thread splitting isn't necessary for making new threads.  It breaks up the flow of information and makes an awkward start for a thread.  The GDT especially, is one thread I'd prefer remained un-split.
Feel free to PM.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3229 on: January 27, 2015, 12:55:20 PM »
I forgot to mention, but his weekend I joined a project at Kode (the biggest art museum/gallery in Bergen).

That sounds amazing. When you've done a bit more planning tell us about it!

Meanwhile, I'm super-happy because I FINALLY got my 10 in English (it's the maximum grade over here - and my teacher didn't want to give me or anyone else more than nine. Why? Because grades are not important and we're on our first year so naturally we are not intelligent enough to get top grades).

Yeah! (I really don't understand your teacher's reasoning, though...glad you could finally get that 10.)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #3230 on: January 27, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
Yay, Nimphy!

Also, it's amazing how many people think "minuses" is a word. Maybe it is a word or maybe it will be a word someday - but it just sounds weird.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #3231 on: January 27, 2015, 01:53:57 PM »
Pardon my sarcasm, but this tie-in's too good to pass up:
Define accident would you kindly.
Accident, n: A situation where presence of mind is good but absence of body would be better.
(Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3232 on: January 27, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »
Yay, Nimphy!

Also, it's amazing how many people think "minuses" is a word. Maybe it is a word or maybe it will be a word someday - but it just sounds weird.

Well, it technically is, but it's just the plural of "minus" (as in something negative/ a disadvantage). It's still not a synonym for "subtracts," though, if those people use it how I think they use it.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3233 on: January 27, 2015, 02:09:31 PM »
The rule of thumb is that latin nouns ending in -us has the plural suffix -i so.... one minus, several mini?
Jokes aside, is minus considered an uncountable noun?

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #3234 on: January 27, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »
(Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary.)

This is good indeed. Thank you for bringing it up, I managed to smile this awful evening at these awful times.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3235 on: January 27, 2015, 02:23:46 PM »
The rule of thumb is that latin nouns ending in -us has the plural suffix -i
(... except when they don't, of course ... ;) )

Alas, "minus" isn't derived from a Latin noun.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #3236 on: January 27, 2015, 02:34:04 PM »
(... except when they don't, of course ... ;) )

Alas, "minus" isn't derived from a Latin noun.

Oxford English dictionary entry: Minus - Origin: late 15th century: from Latin, neuter of minor 'less'.

And I said rule of thumb didn't I. What rules or word-classification actual latin has for it is irrelevant, we're talking about Latin-derived loan-words here.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:54:44 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #3237 on: January 27, 2015, 03:28:32 PM »
Whooo, just finished my fifth book this year! :D I'm beginning to understand why my mum calls me unsocial

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #3238 on: January 27, 2015, 04:32:28 PM »
Well minus actually has an ending that correspond to a third declension neuter noun (even if it's an adjective).

The plural of "minus" is actually "minora" :p

But noone uses that in English, so "minuses" is just fiiiiine.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3239 on: January 27, 2015, 05:05:49 PM »

Oh my gosh! Hooray! FINALLY!!
Man, that teacher.... >:/
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16: