Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411145 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #3075 on: January 17, 2015, 05:38:22 PM »
Ooh, fun. :P

Luckily the only lights we had to untangle this year were the ones we put on our tree.
Well, I took those off the last time I was here, but didn't pack them away.  Somehow they ended up packed into a ball in our office, and were all tangled up.  So the ones I'm untangling now are the Christmas tree lights.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3076 on: January 18, 2015, 04:46:11 AM »
OMG I'm so super happy right now about my classes for this semester!!!!

There was a major clash between two of my units, which was poop, but I toughened up and withdrew from the art theory class (and re-enrolled for next year) and replaced it with "Introduction to Drawing" which gets my last introductory fine art elective unit checked off, and I can graduate ON TIIIIIIIIIME YESSSSSSSSSS! I'm also just happy that my French minor is over forever, that this is my last year of my fine arts major, and I can learn drawing stuff. And also! I think I can squish in a third Minor by the time I graduate! Which will be awesome but totally random.... >:D *insane grin*

So hopefully my degree-thing will be a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in English and minoring in French and (some sort of) Ancient Civilisations, and a Bachelor of Fine Arts, majoring in Visual Communications and minoring in Art Theory. Hopefully. Yes.

Also hopefully the drawing class isn't already full..... O______O but there's a month to go, and art students are lazy...so...hopefully not full.......please

(i wonder if i can also minor in drawing........)

Well, I took those off the last time I was here, but didn't pack them away.  Somehow they ended up packed into a ball in our office, and were all tangled up.  So the ones I'm untangling now are the Christmas tree lights.

Funny (?) story: a couple of Christmases ago my friend thought she'd look super cool if she wrapped herself in her christmas tree lights while she and her bro decorated their tree... There was a fault in the wire and she was zapped and collapsed, spasming on the ground, while her bro chuckled and continued decorating the tree because he thought she was kidding around...but eventually he realised and unplugged the lights and called an ambulance. She turned out OK. She's so accident prone its ridiculous!? 9____9 I worry.
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #3077 on: January 18, 2015, 08:25:43 AM »

There was a major clash between two of my units, which was poop, but I toughened up and withdrew from the art theory class (and re-enrolled for next year) and replaced it with "Introduction to Drawing" which gets my last introductory fine art elective unit checked off, and I can graduate ON TIIIIIIIIIME YESSSSSSSSSS! I'm also just happy that my French minor is over forever, that this is my last year of my fine arts major, and I can learn drawing stuff. And also! I think I can squish in a third Minor by the time I graduate! Which will be awesome but totally random.... >:D *insane grin*

So hopefully my degree-thing will be a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in English and minoring in French and (some sort of) Ancient Civilisations, and a Bachelor of Fine Arts, majoring in Visual Communications and minoring in Art Theory. Hopefully. Yes.

Also hopefully the drawing class isn't already full..... O______O but there's a month to go, and art students are lazy...so...hopefully not full.......please

Yayy! Glad for you Owlice!

Meanwhile, I've had this sentence stuck in my mind for a good while now, and it would be the beginning of a story, I KNEW it. It's been on my mind for so long that I finally gave in and started writing just to get it out of my head. It worked, but now I'm stuck with a little thing called "Ice creams may result in the End of the World" and I feel like I should continue it...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #3078 on: January 18, 2015, 09:59:08 AM »

Yes! Also, your degree-thing looks awesome. Ancient Civilizations and Visual Communications?

Meanwhile, I've had this sentence stuck in my mind for a good while now, and it would be the beginning of a story, I KNEW it. It's been on my mind for so long that I finally gave in and started writing just to get it out of my head. It worked, but now I'm stuck with a little thing called "Ice creams may result in the End of the World" and I feel like I should continue it...

I have so many first lines- or paragraph-orphans. I should try to get them into a proper story...

But you should share your story! We need a writing equivalent of the Art Museum, since Nanowrimo's been over for a while.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3079 on: January 18, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »

Yay, I'm happy for you :) So many degrees, wow! That's awesome.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #3080 on: January 18, 2015, 06:30:06 PM »
ÄäÄÄääääÄä...

I'm still pretty swamped with burearcy with running company.
When i get something sorted out, new ones will appear >:(

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #3081 on: January 18, 2015, 06:56:26 PM »
ÄäÄÄääääÄä...

I'm still pretty swamped with burearcy with running company.
When i get something sorted out, new ones will appear >:(

Awww no Oskutiiiiiiin :(
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3082 on: January 18, 2015, 08:54:18 PM »
Soooooo, I'm the worst.  I didn't get a haircut, and I didn't do any homework today because homework is for neeeeerrds.  I'm in nerd denial  :(  And now I've got to do it all on Monday and Tuesday and I still look like a hippie.  I guess... At least I can go to MAGFest as Shaggy?
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3083 on: January 18, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »
I didn't get a haircut... and I still look like a hippie. 
At least I can go to MAGFest as Shaggy?

I dunno, do you have a (pale and scraggly) soul patch?  And a short-sleeved, olive-green shirt?

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:17:19 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3084 on: January 18, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »
I dunno, do you have a (pale and scraggly) soul patch?  And a short-sleeved, olive-green shirt?
More of a completely unshaven face and a long sleeved green shirt, buuuuuut, it's close enough.  I've got the figure, that's what matters.  :D. The big difference is the voice, but I might be able to manage a good impression.
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

« Reply #3085 on: January 19, 2015, 02:08:41 AM »
Ooookay... So we lost our first student. I figured out something like this would happen sooner or later (we've been told that by the end of our second year our number will be halved), but darn, we were faring so well. Other classes had lost many students by the second month, we didn't lose a single student in all of the first trimester... Okay, so I'm not really sad or anything, this was not the right place for the guy and if it's for his best, it's alright. But how can the other classmates be happy because he went away?! They we're chanting "Ezio's not here" all morning...   :-\

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #3086 on: January 19, 2015, 02:38:28 AM »
Ooookay... So we lost our first student. I figured out something like this would happen sooner or later (we've been told that by the end of our second year our number will be halved), but darn, we were faring so well. Other classes had lost many students by the second month, we didn't lose a single student in all of the first trimester... Okay, so I'm not really sad or anything, this was not the right place for the guy and if it's for his best, it's alright. But how can the other classmates be happy because he went away?! They were chanting "Ezio's not here" all morning...   :-\

This better be "Ezio flunked out" or "Ezio got sick of this place and transferred," not "Ezio's gone... to A Better Place" or "The Lord called him home," or even "We took him to play on a nice farm waaaay out in the country."  (To list just a few American euphemisms for "died," the last one being a classic parental lie when a troublesome pet has actually been... put to sleep.)

I say this because my large high school in California actually *did* lose at least one student a year -- mostly car crashes, occasionally something like cancer.  And we were a coddled bunch of affluent suburban kids.  Big-city high schools lose students to violence all the time. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Dagnir

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #3087 on: January 19, 2015, 07:12:21 AM »

Heh! I used to have a blog for such cases of sentences/phrases suck in my head so much, that they deprived me of a few hours of sleep. That's until I crushed them through storymaking.

Here it is if anyone likes digging through other peoples thoughts and short stories: http://deserted-planes.livejournal.com/
Those who walk against the wind will always walk alone.

Nimphy

« Reply #3088 on: January 19, 2015, 08:44:54 AM »
This better be "Ezio flunked out" or "Ezio got sick of this place and transferred," not "Ezio's gone... to A Better Place" or "The Lord called him home," or even "We took him to play on a nice farm waaaay out in the country."  (To list just a few American euphemisms for "died," the last one being a classic parental lie when a troublesome pet has actually been... put to sleep.)

I say this because my large high school in California actually *did* lose at least one student a year -- mostly car crashes, occasionally something like cancer.  And we were a coddled bunch of affluent suburban kids.  Big-city high schools lose students to violence all the time.

Heh. No, no, no, he just changed school. We did lose a student this year, on the very first day too, but it's a very rare case and in that occasion everyone was too shocked to say anything (apart from the occasional idiot who thinks that a guy jumping down is a joke...). This one guy just gave up, fearing failure. Frankly, I don't approve, but it's his decision. Now that he left it seems like a few people are also considering transfer, though :/

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #3089 on: January 19, 2015, 12:31:37 PM »
Heh. No, no, no, he just changed school. We did lose a student this year, on the very first day too, but it's a very rare case and in that occasion everyone was too shocked to say anything (apart from the occasional idiot who thinks that a guy jumping down is a joke...). This one guy just gave up, fearing failure. Frankly, I don't approve, but it's his decision. Now that he left it seems like a few people are also considering transfer, though :/
Maybe he wasn't confident in his abilities?  Not sure, but there was definitely some reason for his being afraid, if that is what it was.  I've had two roommates who flunked out of uni, and both times it was because they couldn't control themselves in some way, and lost track of their studies.  He wasn't slacking off or anything, was he?
Feel free to PM.