Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387780 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18660 on: December 26, 2019, 03:17:28 PM »
The present estimate is that my area has lost at least a third of its vineyards, which is going to be an economic disaster for the state as well as a personal disaster for the vintners. As we discovered in the 2017 fires, it’s not just the burned areas, but the whole Barossa will lose grapes to smoke damage, which ruins the wine. Same for olives, which are another big crop around here. My area is a mix of farms, orchards, vineyards, grazing, plantation forests of European trees, mostly pines, and natural bush. We are close to the Mount Crawford forest, which has areas of both, that being where I take my bushcraft and wild food foraging classes, unless I am hired to teach somewhere else. There is a lot of food and wine tourism around here, as well as nature tourism.

Australia is far more varied than most people think. There is alpine terrain in the Snowies and Tasmania, deserts out in the Centre, tropical forest in Far North Queensland and the NT, wilderness like Kakadu,  temperate forest areas scattered all over, cold rain forest with swamps in East Gippsland and Tasmania, and  prairie with patches of farmland and forest in Central Victoria. Wildly varied country. Look up Tarra Bulga Forest and you will see country that would not look out of place in Finland. One of my sisters lives on a farm near the edge of that forest.

And thanks for the good wishes. We need them.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #18661 on: January 13, 2020, 08:36:42 AM »
For the first time in 2020 I work up with my alarms and had breakfast before work.

As celebration going to post a link to my video series in the game Elite:Dangerous.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #18662 on: January 27, 2020, 09:20:30 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm participating in Fandom For Australia, a multifandom fanwork auction raising money for charities aiding people and animals affected by the bushfires.

How it works: People offer commissions for fic/art/etc, others bid on those offers, and the auction winner pays the money directly to charity.

Signups for offers are open from now until February 08. If any of you are interested in offering fanwork (fanfic, fanart, beta reading, translations, etc...) please consider signing up! : D I will be participating in this, and at least one other person in SSSS fandom has signed up as well.

You can find more information on the event tumblr: https://fandomforoz.tumblr.com/
Information is crossposted to Livejournal and Dreamwidth as well.

FAQ: https://fandomforoz.tumblr.com/faq.html
Signup info: https://fandomforoz.tumblr.com/sign-up1.html
Direct link to signup form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfcBsyo9v3T0qjsss3S__dLrswTwz3yzgsYya4-kAPoVexh3w/viewform

If you aren't able to offer or bid, you can still help by passing on the info to anybody you think might be interested. : )

I'm not one of the people running this, but I've participated in similar events before and might be able to help clarify details about how these things work if anyone has questions.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Róisín

« Reply #18663 on: January 27, 2020, 09:43:58 PM »
Great idea, Yuuago! If I can get into it I will provide some material (fic or poetry) and beta reading.

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #18664 on: January 28, 2020, 03:15:37 AM »
I've just signed up! Not really sure how it works but maybe somebody will want An Art (or beta-read)
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #18665 on: January 28, 2020, 08:38:57 AM »
Yay, excellent! < 3! I'm glad to hear this. : D

Not really sure how it works

Based on experience with previous fandom auctions, it'll go like this -

After signups end, the various auctions will be posted. There is a separate post for each person who's offering; these posts will have the details of what fandom they're offering to make fanwork for, what kind of things they're willing to draw/write, etc. There will be a week for potential bidders to look through these so they can decide what to bid on.

Bidding is done through google forms. Each offer page will have a link to both the bidding form and the results sheet, so that potential bidders can see the high bid, and place a higher bid if they want to. If you've ever been to a silent auction, it's a similar idea.

After the auction, the high bidders/auction winners for each offer will be contacted by the organizers to tell them that they've won. The winner then needs to donate to one of the supported charities and send the auction organizers proof of donation - usually people take a screencap of the receipt and use Paint or another program to black out real name/personal info.

When the organizers have proof of donation, they will contact the fanwork offerer and give them their winner's contact email so that they can talk together about what kind of fanwork the winner wants. The fanwork creator then has the rest of the year to complete whatever task it is they've agreed to do. : )

Hope that makes sense!

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #18666 on: January 31, 2020, 12:11:42 AM »
Thanks to SSSS, when I read all the news about the coronavirus I keep imagining things like:

"all 8,000 patients are in good condition and expected to start recovering soon"

"people aren't going to start dying en masse all of a sudden. no one has so far"

"the remaining patients are comatose, and NOT in decent condition as previously claimed..."

(and let's not speak about the trolls)

Stay safe y'all!
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #18667 on: February 01, 2020, 11:12:01 AM »
Yuuago, do you think it’s worth it signing up for SSSS only?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #18668 on: February 01, 2020, 04:24:44 PM »
Thanks to SSSS, when I read all the news about the coronavirus I keep imagining things like:[snipped]

Especially when I start seeing headlines like "Russia is closing their borders"!

-- I don't think this is actually going to turn out to be any worse than an average flu, though. And I do mean an average one, not a 1918 flu. We have a lot more tools available for controlling infection than we did then; and this doesn't seem to be as virulent.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #18669 on: February 02, 2020, 01:03:31 AM »
Yuuago, do you think it’s worth it signing up for SSSS only?

I think so, yeah! SSSS fandom is small compared to some others, but it's active and enthusiastic, so I'd say chances of getting bids are pretty good.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #18670 on: February 03, 2020, 10:48:31 AM »
Especially when I start seeing headlines like "Russia is closing their borders"!

-- I don't think this is actually going to turn out to be any worse than an average flu, though. And I do mean an average one, not a 1918 flu. We have a lot more tools available for controlling infection than we did then; and this doesn't seem to be as virulent.

I'm thinking closer to Sars since it's iirc the same type of virus, but yeah big kerfuffle and then it burns out
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #18671 on: February 03, 2020, 05:29:51 PM »
I'm thinking closer to Sars since it's iirc the same type of virus, but yeah big kerfuffle and then it burns out
Both are Lineage B Betacoronaviruses, yes.

At ~17,500 infected (and counting, and 362 dead, and strongly suspecting that patients turn contagious before or even without ever exhibiting clear symptoms), 2019-nCoV should be considered "bigger" than SARS (~8,100 infected, 774 dead) but for sheer body count, though.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #18672 on: February 07, 2020, 03:23:28 AM »
Whoo signed up on Fandom for Australia. When the works come up for bidding I’ll link it to the Disqus comments.

Due to the long delivery time I included also SG-1, which I’ve never written in but we’ll see. I know it by heart so shouldn’t be a problem:)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #18673 on: February 07, 2020, 01:01:25 PM »
Whoo signed up on Fandom for Australia. When the works come up for bidding I’ll link it to the Disqus comments.

Due to the long delivery time I included also SG-1, which I’ve never written in but we’ll see. I know it by heart so shouldn’t be a problem:)

That’s wonderful! : D

I’m really looking forward to seeing what everyone is offering. I’ll probably compile a list of all the SSSS fandom people involved.

Róisín

« Reply #18674 on: February 07, 2020, 03:40:49 PM »
Yuuago, I tried to sign up but couldn’t make the form submit. Whether this is my usual ineptitude with computers I don’t know.