Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410342 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18510 on: March 15, 2019, 09:45:49 AM »
This neo-Nazi thing is freaking me out.

You, me, and a whole lot of other people.

I have no words; or too many of them.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18511 on: March 15, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »
All we can do is keep going, one foot in front of the other. And fix the bits under our hands. And try to do our best for one another, and not be yet another problem. Comfort to you all.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #18512 on: March 15, 2019, 07:35:25 PM »
hey folks, it's been a while. hope you guys are doing okay, especially considering the recent events.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #18513 on: March 15, 2019, 08:29:03 PM »
All we can do is keep going, one foot in front of the other. And fix the bits under our hands. And try to do our best for one another, and not be yet another problem. Comfort to you all.

Róisín's got the words. Thank you for them, Róisín.

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #18514 on: March 15, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »
Róisín's got the words. Thank you for them, Róisín.

Róisín is wise.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18515 on: March 16, 2019, 01:34:20 AM »
Blushes deeply....
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #18516 on: March 16, 2019, 12:44:09 PM »
*hugs to all*

Also
*arises from hospital torpor*
Wave, I didn't realize you were in the hospital. I hope you're doing better!!
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18517 on: March 16, 2019, 04:47:07 PM »
*hugs to all*

AlsoWave, I didn't realize you were in the hospital. I hope you're doing better!!

Mmm, someday, in theory (still in hospital)...  :o  But thank you for the good wishes.
I've been following the story as I can. After my husband's first redundancy, I didn't pack up & go back to the US because NZ is sane.  'Go hard or go home' only applies to stoicism, they --we --don't go for any extremism or much drama.  (The downside is a national tendency to complacency.)  By that time I had a child, and it was still pretty freshly post-9/11, and I did not like the trendline in attitudes in the US.
Will a similar shift in attitude happen here? Dunno. I'm told that this plot was executed in Christchurch (that choice of words is not accidental, this was a well-funded operation) because the city has long tolerated racist thinking & rhetoric. Perhaps we could use a shift in attitudes, but only to extend our abhorrance of violence. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

MistyMeowFur

• Super-Newbie
So Buttigieg...how did he do?
« Reply #18518 on: March 28, 2019, 11:10:12 PM »
Apparently one of the US Democratic Party's potential presidential candidates has taught himself Norwegian, and was interviewed by a Norwegian crew at his South Carolina rally. But can any of our Norwegian-speaking friends tell the rest of us how he really did?

https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/her-svarer-presidentkandidaten-dagbladet-pa-norsk/70906897

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18519 on: April 02, 2019, 10:32:11 AM »
Most of my day is conference calls.

I won't get any work done until 15:00 local time.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #18520 on: April 15, 2019, 04:34:37 PM »
The video of Notre Dame de Paris in flames is heartbreaking

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Oripoke

• Tumblr
« Reply #18521 on: April 16, 2019, 08:58:31 AM »
I'm really sad about Notre Dame :( and now I'm disappointed in myself for not going inside it when I had the chance to do so last year. (I did do the Eiffel Tower and Sacré-Cœur Basilica, but...)
Apparently though, only the upper parts burned, leaving the lower body of the church, and its treasures, primarily intact. Only one major stained-glass window was lost. It's a shame to lose the spire, though. Truly a tragedy for France and the world.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #18522 on: April 16, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »
I'm really sad about Notre Dame :( and now I'm disappointed in myself for not going inside it when I had the chance to do so last year. (I did do the Eiffel Tower and Sacré-Cœur Basilica, but...)
Apparently though, only the upper parts burned, leaving the lower body of the church, and its treasures, primarily intact. Only one major stained-glass window was lost. It's a shame to lose the spire, though. Truly a tragedy for France and the world.

The good news is that Notre Dame is so well understood architecturally that they can and likely will rebuild it. It's not the first time they've had to replace part of the cathedral, and it won't be the last. The stones are intact and the roof arch is as well.
It's been lost, but it will be built bigger and better, because that's what people do with cathedrals.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

elekia

• Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18523 on: April 23, 2019, 07:29:57 PM »
Wondering if I could get some advice and I think this is the appropriate place to put it. 

To make a long story short, my roommate's dog is making my life miserable.  If he sees me leave my room, he goes crazy bellowing at me (he's quite a large dog), and running towards me.  I don't think he'll bite, but he'll try to jump on me and his claws are pretty long.  When my roommate isn't home, he's put in a crate in her room, so I don't have to deal with him then; but if she's out in the common area, she usually has him with her and keeps a good hold on him when I come out, though this isn't always possible. 

Anyways, this morning she lost her grip on his leash while I was leaving for class, and did his usual running and bellowing at me.  It frightened me how fast he moved this time, so I ran back into my room and got a nice claw mark on my leg in the process.  While escaping, my backpack knocked my tv off its stand and onto the floor.  It still works, but the screen is cracked and a strip on the upper part is white and gray. 

My roommate takes him to obedience school, but I'm seeing no progress.  I constantly hear her tell him "No!" or "Stop!"  I've never raised my voice at it, looked at it wrong, or done anything to make it dislike me; it was actually okay with me when she first got the dog (without asking me if it was okay first).  I don't think I can ask her to get rid of it, my lease ends in a few months and I'm not staying here, and she got it from the animal shelter so sending it back sounds cruel. 

I'm at my wit's end with this latest incident and am getting sick of not being able to leave my room without getting barked at half the time (and that's if she's able to keep a hold of him).  Does anyone have any suggestions for this situation?  I know she feels bad about what's going on, but nothing is changing.
fluent: :usa:
pretty good: :germany:
someday: :china: :finland:

started: :chap12:
survived: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #18524 on: April 24, 2019, 07:55:41 PM »
Shock collar.

Seriously