Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387560 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2850 on: January 08, 2015, 05:22:32 PM »
(You're not allowed to dodge or escape from my virtual hugs and kisses, you asocial people.)

Better bring a siege tower to climb up on then little guerrila :P

Sigrid Marie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Draws a lot and sleeps very little
« Reply #2851 on: January 08, 2015, 05:32:01 PM »
Double post, so sue me. I feel particularly happy and emotional today, so I'll just say it. I love you guys, all of you. You're wonderful and make me actually laugh in joy (that is quite a feat) and I usually go out of a chat session with a big stupid smile. And sometimes forget about unimportant stuff like eating and homework. Meh. So I'm sending virtual hugs and kisses to all of you and wishing you a good night. (You're not allowed to dodge or escape from my virtual hugs and kisses, you asocial people.)

This was a really nice thing to read right before going to bed, especially since I was feeling kind of awful tonight (but we don't have to go into that, only hugs and kisses and happiness now) c: I feel the same way. Although I haven't been part of the community for a very long time, and I haven't had the chance to talk to nearly everyone yet, you are all lovely and amazing and you make me smile (alright, so making me smile might not be a very hard task, but you make me smile a lot, okay?). And I'm not going to be dodging any hugs or kisses anytime soon, because hugs and kisses are awesome. In fact, I am going to do the very opposite of dodging them, and instead add my hugging powers to yours yayyy *skedaddles off to bed before my half-asleep rambling becomes too nonsensical*

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2852 on: January 08, 2015, 08:41:30 PM »
Double post, so sue me. I feel particularly happy and emotional today, so I'll just say it. I love you guys, all of you. You're wonderful and make me actually laugh in joy (that is quite a feat) and I usually go out of a chat session with a big stupid smile. And sometimes forget about unimportant stuff like eating and homework. Meh. So I'm sending virtual hugs and kisses to all of you and wishing you a good night. (You're not allowed to dodge or escape from my virtual hugs and kisses, you asocial people.)
Yay! Love you all too. (I don't think I could escape even if I wanted to.)
Weather here is teasing us. Freezing at one point, so hot I'm tempted to take off jacket and sweatshirt and anything I can at another.
Our nice 45-55 degrees Fahrenheit and sunshine has deserted us, abandoning us to the mercy of an unchanging 35 degrees and pea-soup fog for the next couple days.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2853 on: January 08, 2015, 09:44:04 PM »
In Finland we're drowning in slush...

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #2854 on: January 08, 2015, 11:39:58 PM »
Here in Tasmania the weather seems to like alternating between "I WILL DROWN YOU" and "I WILL BAKE YOU". Either really really hot or really really wet. It sometimes switches several times a day. I like the wet best.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2855 on: January 08, 2015, 11:41:28 PM »
Here in Tasmania the weather seems to like alternating between "I WILL DROWN YOU" and "I WILL BAKE YOU". Either really really hot or really really wet. It sometimes switches several times a day. I like the wet best.
Ah, summer rain.  The best kind of summer weather.  Well... Actually, is winter your hot season, or do y'all re-label them?
Feel free to PM.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #2856 on: January 08, 2015, 11:49:08 PM »
Ah, summer rain.  The best kind of summer weather.  Well... Actually, is winter your hot season, or do y'all re-label them?

No relabelling necessary. They just occur at different times of the year. Winter doesn't equal "Dec, Jan, Feb", it equals "Coldest season of the year". Which in our case occurs in "June, July, Aug". But yes. Summer rain is the best. Especially when you go swimming in it.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2857 on: January 09, 2015, 12:12:32 AM »
Actually, is winter your hot season, or do y'all re-label them?
U__U
9__9
*looks to the skies in askance* X'D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2858 on: January 09, 2015, 12:14:51 AM »
No relabelling necessary. They just occur at different times of the year. Winter doesn't equal "Dec, Jan, Feb", it equals "Coldest season of the year". Which in our case occurs in "June, July, Aug". But yes. Summer rain is the best. Especially when you go swimming in it.
The more you know!  :D 
Thanks, that had been confusing me for a little while, now.

U__U
9__9
Noo, don't be ashamed of my ineptitude! 
Feel free to PM.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #2859 on: January 09, 2015, 12:20:26 AM »
U__U
9__9

*starts laughing* I'm sorry, I'm sorry, this was my initial reaction, too. And a thought of "...is this for real, or a joke of some kind?"

I'm sorry, Eich, I'll stop laughing now. I am glad I could clear it up for you, though!~

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2860 on: January 09, 2015, 12:21:18 AM »
The more you know!  :D 
Thanks, that had been confusing me for a little while, now.
Noo, don't be ashamed of my ineptitude!

Yeah - I was confused about the whole thing since I learned that the weather was flipped in Australia! They don't teach us these things in school.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2861 on: January 09, 2015, 12:57:11 AM »
Yeah - I was confused about the whole thing since I learned that the weather was flipped in Australia! They don't teach us these things in school.
Yeees, we are inept.  But blame the schooling system!
Schools don't teach us any cool stuff like that, just boring things. 
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2862 on: January 09, 2015, 01:01:39 AM »

Oof, tell me about it... Don't even get me started about the history classes -_-

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
« Reply #2863 on: January 09, 2015, 01:14:15 AM »
Complete change of subject - it's my birthday in three days, and for the first time ever my mother and sister had claimed responsibility for organizing things on the day. Three days before it occurs, I suddenly get a barrage of questions of "what would I like to do on my birthday?" by my father. So I go see what had happened to the organizing committee, and lo and behold, they have nothingggggg. Except for "Let's go to the beach!" which is my default thing to do on my birthday, and the reason why I let them organize things in the first place is because I wanted something different for once! XD *deep sigh*

My family is so inept, haha. (Not that I can talk.) I think I'll have to resign myself to yet another birthday with just my family... at the beach... again... which, well, it isn't bad, but ... *siiiiiiiiigh*

Sooo... when you guys learnt about seasons back in the day, they actually told you Winter=Dec, Jan, Feb, instead of Winter=Coldest season of the year? Dude. I thought Tasmanian education was bad.

(Just for reference, I had Australian education from kindergarten til grade 5, then an American homeschooling system from grade 6 til 10. Brilliant English grammar and word building courses, rather good mathematics, good/mediocre everything else. ACE, if anyone recognizes it. Then Australian again for years 11 and 12.)

But as for history classes... having had both American and Australian viewpoints on it, BOTH ARE BAD. American was so ... so... like propaganda that I could vomit, and Australian is so limited that I could fall asleep. Very little about the world, very focused on Australian history, and the most exciting thing there was explorers dying in deserts, bombs being thrown on Darwin, and Gallipoli. I didn't have a decent history class until year 12, where I had the most brilliant history teacher possible who taught us all about how the events from WWI through to the Cold War and events right now are all connected, plus lots of other slightly irrelevant but super interesting things.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2864 on: January 09, 2015, 01:32:18 AM »
Complete change of subject - it's my birthday in three days, and for the first time ever my mother and sister had claimed responsibility for organizing things on the day. Three days before it occurs, I suddenly get a barrage of questions of "what would I like to do on my birthday?" by my father. So I go see what had happened to the organizing committee, and lo and behold, they have nothingggggg. Except for "Let's go to the beach!" which is my default thing to do on my birthday, and the reason why I let them organize things in the first place is because I wanted something different for once! XD *deep sigh*

My family is so inept, haha. (Not that I can talk.) I think I'll have to resign myself to yet another birthday with just my family... at the beach... again... which, well, it isn't bad, but ... *siiiiiiiiigh*

Haha, maybe they secretly just love the beach...?  ???

Sooo... when you guys learnt about seasons back in the day, they actually told you Winter=Dec, Jan, Feb, instead of Winter=Coldest season of the year? Dude. I thought Tasmanian education was bad.

(Just for reference, I had Australian education from kindergarten til grade 5, then an American homeschooling system from grade 6 til 10. Brilliant English grammar and word building courses, rather good mathematics, good/mediocre everything else. ACE, if anyone recognizes it. Then Australian again for years 11 and 12.)

But as for history classes... having had both American and Australian viewpoints on it, BOTH ARE BAD. American was so ... so... like propaganda that I could vomit, and Australian is so limited that I could fall asleep. Very little about the world, very focused on Australian history, and the most exciting thing there was explorers dying in deserts, bombs being thrown on Darwin, and Gallipoli. I didn't have a decent history class until year 12, where I had the most brilliant history teacher possible who taught us all about how the events from WWI through to the Cold War and events right now are all connected, plus lots of other slightly irrelevant but super interesting things.
Yup, we learned the seasons from the dates.

Propaganda, yes, that's a great word to describe it. Like, if I have to learn about the American Civil War one more time, I might explode. For me it was solely American history through elementary school and middle school, then two years of "world history" (European history basically  :P), another year of American history, and then American government, echhh. I've never had a good history teacher, unfortunately.
Come to think about it, I don't know a single thing about Australian history... how about that.