Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387206 times)

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18345 on: September 12, 2018, 05:24:36 PM »
Thanks Windy, that's the one. I'll have to check out that site.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Glory

• DeviantArt
  • Learning to sketch. Slowly. Painfully.
« Reply #18346 on: September 16, 2018, 12:07:33 AM »
Heya everyone! Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but we don't have an SCA thread (that I know of). The Battle On The Bay event for 2018 is coming up next weekend, and I was wondering if any other Maryland Minnions were planning to go. I just got back into SCA fighting myself, so I'll just be a spectator, but this is the first major SCA event I'm going to attend, so I'm really exited.
Survived: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18347 on: September 16, 2018, 01:00:18 AM »
Heya everyone! Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but we don't have an SCA thread (that I know of). The Battle On The Bay event for 2018 is coming up next weekend, and I was wondering if any other Maryland Minnions were planning to go. I just got back into SCA fighting myself, so I'll just be a spectator, but this is the first major SCA event I'm going to attend, so I'm really exited.

Very cool!  Nothing wrong with posting such here.  Minnion meet-ups in general can be posted in the Minnion Meet-Up thread.  I'm not sure if there are any active SCA folks around lately, but there is the Re-enactment Thread available for this. I attended one once (in Cynagua) as a Mundane, and it was great fun.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

refract3d

« Reply #18348 on: September 16, 2018, 11:39:40 AM »
Oh hey, that's cool! I think I'm busy next weekend and for the forseeable future (it's almost Spooky Time :))), but I did a little bit of SCA stuff when I was a kid and know a couple people who do it. I'm hoping I can at least get to Rennfest this year,,, not as picky about historical accuracy but definitely a good time.
On a side note, looking into the local SCA page I found a place to practice archery relatively nearby! I've been looking for somewhere less than an hour away for quite a while. So that's cool, maybe I'll get back into it. It's been a long time.
Native language: :usa:
A little :vaticancity: :japan: Korean
Learning :norway: :spain:

Ask me about cuttlefish!

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18349 on: September 16, 2018, 05:23:40 PM »
Excellent! Reenactment thread is a good place to talk in detail, but putting it up here is fine too.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #18350 on: September 19, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »
Oh hey, ive been here for 4 years now.

This fandom has been a significant chunk of my life ajd is responsible to many of tye positive changes in my life at that time.

Im so happy to be part of here <3
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #18351 on: September 20, 2018, 04:19:38 AM »
Oh hey, ive been here for 4 years now.

This fandom has been a significant chunk of my life ajd is responsible to many of tye positive changes in my life at that time.

Im so happy to be part of here <3

This reads like you were drunk when you typed it :) I'm very happy that you're here.

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #18352 on: September 21, 2018, 06:23:09 AM »
I've heard that Dormition Church of Kondopoga in Karelia, which I visited this summer, was burnt down by some teenager. I don't think it was very popular, with only one keeper staying in a small cabin nearby and opening the church when people asked him. But he was nice and had a cute dog. The church itself was great, too, although most of the icons were covered with masking tape to be preserved and restored when they had the money. And now all that's left is this. Ugh.
Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #18353 on: September 23, 2018, 08:51:26 AM »
I've heard that Dormition Church of Kondopoga in Karelia, which I visited this summer, was burnt down by some teenager. I don't think it was very popular, with only one keeper staying in a small cabin nearby and opening the church when people asked him. But he was nice and had a cute dog. The church itself was great, too, although most of the icons were covered with masking tape to be preserved and restored when they had the money. And now all that's left is this. Ugh.

Gah! Probably some idiot fan of Varg Vikernes :(
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #18354 on: September 23, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »
Gah! Probably some idiot fan of Varg Vikernes :(
I had to look up who that was. Big yikes. That's really sad about the church :/
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #18355 on: September 24, 2018, 01:17:17 AM »
Maybe Vikernes, yes. Although it's more common to copy American figures (for example participants of Columbine massacre) here and the boy claims to be satanist. Still, ugh. I forsee another crazy talk about how the internet "corrupts our children" and how this jerk was guided by some sect or something
Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18356 on: September 28, 2018, 09:13:02 AM »
Really looking forward to home internet again so that I can maybe show up on the Forum once in a while again.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

« Reply #18357 on: September 28, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »
It will be good to have you back in the conversation.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18358 on: September 28, 2018, 07:26:30 PM »
Seconded, urbicande. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #18359 on: October 02, 2018, 09:12:55 PM »
May or may not be here later, because we have a widespread power outage which is not expected to be resolved for at least another six hours. Damn and blast! Hopefully I will be able to recharge my devices from the car charger when we have to do a long drive later in the day. We have also had a number of small fires in the area, whether lightning or sparks from equipment or some idiot firebug I don't know. So much smoke in the air has set off husband's sinusitis, so he is miserable. And I'm at the community garden sorting seeds and don't know whether it is better done inside in the dark or outside in the wind and smoke. Grumblemuttercurse!