Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2388001 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2775 on: January 04, 2015, 06:21:11 PM »
Oh no, winter break is almost over... I spent the past few days doing nice quiet introvert-y things (re-reading webcomics, finally getting through some of my reading list, drawing, wandering around Proteus, and NOT going to New Year's parties), and now I really don't want to start school again. I had so much things I wanted to do over break, too. Oh well.

Same here. I still have another week, but I just know it'll go by really quickly. I've been a super-introvert over the past two weeks (which means only leaving my room for food, etc, for the most part  :) ), so much so that it's become kinda monotonous... Laziness overload, I suppose? But yeah, there was SO MUCH I wanted to do, and I don't even remember what that stuff was... only that I'll be kicking myself once I come back to school and remember it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:50:09 PM by Piney »

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2776 on: January 04, 2015, 06:28:44 PM »
I have to start on Wednesday. And... Yeah, I still haven't started on my homework ('cept for English, which I finished in a few minutes. I should probably do it all day tomorrow... Nahhh...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2777 on: January 04, 2015, 06:46:31 PM »
I have to start on Wednesday. And... Yeah, I still haven't started on my homework ('cept for English, which I finished in a few minutes. I should probably do it all day tomorrow... Nahhh...

high five around here. will start on wednesday and have neither music nor philophy lessons prepared. some of the math's stuff at least though.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2778 on: January 04, 2015, 07:37:59 PM »
I start on Wednesday as well!

The last few days have been spent doing introvert things, but I also saw some friends over break, and watched lots of tv and movies with the family.  I'm back at my apartment now, though.  Just finished making my bed and setting up my laptop.  Now I just need to wait until Tuesday to go back to work one last time, and then school shall begin...  *Prepares for battle*
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2779 on: January 04, 2015, 11:28:40 PM »
Awww, I feel for you guys: semester doesn't start until late February for me. ;P However, I do have the pleasure of feeling just as anxious about it as if it were starting next week now...and I'll probably feel this way until it actually starts for real ;__; hahahe

Awaaaaah, I'm one unit short for my classes this coming semester, because the unit I wanted to do is only available next semester (Ancient History) and now there's a gap and I don't know if I have to chose an advanced unit to replace it or nottttttt. The only other advanced unit I know I've got the prerequisites for would be French...and...I can never take that class again O___O never.
I'm sure all the other English units are full up (and it might be a headache doing an advanced English major and minor) and the practical art courses were (understandably) really snooty when I tried to sign up late last year (when my degree was rearranged just as classes started) and I just... I'm a bit scared they're going to be snooty again. And I might suck at drawing. I know that painting would be a bad idea, because I have no experience in that medium- except house painting O_O
Maybe I should see if there is another graphic design unit that would compliment my design major...hmmmm...uhhhh *facepalm*
I think I'll need to visit the Uni's student centre and get it sorted out in the city :/ I was planning to go to town today, but had to cancel all my rarely-made social and shopping plans so I could check the tree irrigation on the home block today for dad....But that has not happened!? I've been sitting around the house in my work clothes, ready to go all day...and I've never gotten any indication that the water was going and ready to be checked (I'm not allowed to turn it on) or that this was a thing happening today...so this was a day wasted essentially >:( aggggggghhhhhhhhh why can't I have a real boss with a schedule and contactability and and and ughggggghhhhh. Was I supposed to call him up in the middle of his meeting and tell him to turn it on and drop off my equipment from the other farm? I don't even know. I don't even know. I can't even quit because it's NoT a REaL JOB! *mutates into a troll*
[/rant]

-___-
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:30:51 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2780 on: January 04, 2015, 11:59:07 PM »
Aw, that has to be rough.  I sympathize

But let me share some advice, from one imaginative person to another:
You don't know whether a lot of the things (listed below) that you fear are true or not.  You won't know until you talk to the Uni people. 

Because you have an active and fertile mind, you can think of all sorts of alternatives -- and because you're a sensitive soul and this is something you worry about, you can picture every alternative turning out badly.  But just by random distribution, I don't think it's likely that every unopened envelope has bad news in it. 

Can you just tell yourself to put those worries in a lockbox for the next 18 hours (or whatever), until it's time to take them out?

Or would it help you to jot down some if/then proposals, so that if an official (picture the pimply guy in Mora) tells you no, you cleverly have thought out a Plan B, and then a Plan C, D, etc.?

As far as practicalities, obviously I have no idea how the University of Tasmania works.  But:
* You clearly don't suck at drawing -- I've seen (and enjoyed) your work.  Even if it turns out you're not the next Picasso, so what?  Drawing is a good thing to know about in a lot of design-type fields. 
* Same thing with painting.  Who knows, you could have an Emil-type epiphany and discover your life's passion working with gouache, oil, or [knowledge of types of paint runs out].  Or you could just have fun with it.  I was always glad I took music classes in high school (playing flute in the band).  I was never very good (partly because I never practiced enough).  But music has enriched every day of my life since.

I can imagine how difficult it is to have your dad also be your boss, especially when the family business is farming, as opposed to something with 9-to-5 hours where it's clear when you're "on duty" or not.  But maybe we can return to this issue BECAUSE...

"Downton Abbey" is about to start!  Gotta rush... I have to find out what sassy quips the Dowager Countess is making this time!   ;)

Good luck!

Sunflower

Awaaaaah, I'm one unit short for my classes this coming semester, because the unit I wanted to do is only available next semester (Ancient History) and now there's a gap and I don't know if I have to chose an advanced unit to replace it or nottttttt. The only other advanced unit I know I've got the prerequisites for would be French...and...I can never take that class again O___O never.

I'm sure all the other English units are full up (and it might be a headache doing an advanced English major and minor) and the practical art courses were (understandably) really snooty when I tried to sign up late last year (when my degree was rearranged just as classes started) and I just... I'm a bit scared they're going to be snooty again. And I might suck at drawing. I know that painting would be a bad idea, because I have no experience in that medium- except house painting O_O

Maybe I should see if there is another graphic design unit that would compliment my design major...hmmmm...uhhhh *facepalm*

I think I'll need to visit the Uni's student centre and get it sorted out in the city :/ I was planning to go to town today, but had to cancel all my rarely-made social and shopping plans so I could check the tree irrigation on the home block today for dad....But that has not happened!? I've been sitting around the house in my work clothes, ready to go all day...and I've never gotten any indication that the water was going and ready to be checked (I'm not allowed to turn it on) or that this was a thing happening today...so this was a day wasted essentially >:(

aggggggghhhhhhhhh why can't I have a real boss with a schedule and contactability and and and ughggggghhhhh. Was I supposed to call him up in the middle of his meeting and tell him to turn it on and drop off my equipment from the other farm? I don't even know. I don't even know. I can't even quit because it's NoT a REaL JOB! *mutates into a troll*
[/rant]

-___-
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2781 on: January 05, 2015, 12:46:19 AM »
Awww, I feel for you guys: semester doesn't start until late February for me. ;P However, I do have the pleasure of feeling just as anxious about it as if it were starting next week now...and I'll probably feel this way until it actually starts for real ;__; hahahe

I think I'll need to visit the Uni's student centre and get it sorted out in the city :/ I was planning to go to town today, but had to cancel all my rarely-made social and shopping plans so I could check the tree irrigation on the home block today for dad....But that has not happened!? I've been sitting around the house in my work clothes, ready to go all day...and I've never gotten any indication that the water was going and ready to be checked (I'm not allowed to turn it on) or that this was a thing happening today...so this was a day wasted essentially >:( aggggggghhhhhhhhh why can't I have a real boss with a schedule and contactability and and and ughggggghhhhh. Was I supposed to call him up in the middle of his meeting and tell him to turn it on and drop off my equipment from the other farm? I don't even know. I don't even know. I can't even quit because it's NoT a REaL JOB! *mutates into a troll*
[/rant]

-___-

*pats Owl on back*

As far as practicalities, obviously I have no idea how the University of Tasmania works.  But:
* You clearly don't suck at drawing -- I've seen (and enjoyed) your work.  Even if it turns out you're not the next Picasso, so what?  Drawing is a good thing to know about in a lot of design-type fields. 
* Same thing with painting.  Who knows, you could have an Emil-type epiphany and discover your life's passion working with gouache, oil, or [knowledge of types of paint runs out].  Or you could just have fun with it.  I was always glad I took music classes in high school (playing flute in the band).  I was never very good (partly because I never practiced enough).  But music has enriched every day of my life since.

I must agree here -
I again don't know how your university works, but I know you're definitely not bad at drawing. I also don't know if you've taken a drawing class before, but I'm currently taking one and it was a lot less harsh than I was expecting. (of course, it all depends on the school and the teacher) There are a couple people in my class who... I'll put this lightly... clearly did not get into art school because they were good at drawing. Also some others who just half-ass their projects. I'm pretty sure they all passed the class, too. I'm not you, but I wouldn't be too afraid if you want to give it a go. 
As for painting, if you really feel like it's a bad idea, by all means don't take it, but I made approximately... three paintings in high school before I had to take a painting class in college - heck, I spent all my time in high school thinking I sucked at painting. If I'd had a choice, I would never have taken a painting class in my life. Turns out, I was a whole lot better painter than I was expecting myself to be. I surprised myself. And several classmates entered the class never having painted before, but you wouldn't be able to tell if you saw their work. Who knows, you could work wonders... :))

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2782 on: January 05, 2015, 01:25:18 AM »
I'm swamped with massive amounts of paperworks and burearcy  :/

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2783 on: January 05, 2015, 03:31:04 AM »
But let me share some advice,
I must agree here -
I again don't know how your university works, but I know you're definitely not bad at drawing. I also don't know if you've taken a drawing class before, but I'm currently taking one and it was a lot less harsh than I was expecting. (of course, it all depends on the school and the teacher) There are a couple people in my class who... I'll put this lightly... clearly did not get into art school because they were good at drawing. Also some others who just half-ass their projects. I'm pretty sure they all passed the class, too. I'm not you, but I wouldn't be too afraid if you want to give it a go. 
As for painting, if you really feel like it's a bad idea, by all means don't take it, but I made approximately... three paintings in high school before I had to take a painting class in college - heck, I spent all my time in high school thinking I sucked at painting. If I'd had a choice, I would never have taken a painting class in my life. Turns out, I was a whole lot better painter than I was expecting myself to be. I surprised myself. And several classmates entered the class never having painted before, but you wouldn't be able to tell if you saw their work. Who knows, you could work wonders... :))
Thanks guys UuU
I think I will consider a practical art unit, I was just a bit worried about how much it would cost (supplies, theory books etc) but it shouldn't be that huge of a problem :/ but organising a timetable between two campuses is always such a poop of a task. It's $3 per bus ticket--> the discounted "student fare," and there isn't even a direct bus between the main and art campuses ;___; (that I know of, but I have searched.) And then there's the state of the buses punctuality...

I will definitely be heading up to the city for a consultation (where my oh-please-i'm-so-adorable-please-heeeelp-mehhh powers should be more potent face to face >;P oooor, they will fail and a stern lady will make me cry) and sort it out. Maybe Wednesday.

Nuuuuuuuuuuu! Oskutin! *hugs* ;__;

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2784 on: January 05, 2015, 05:03:12 AM »

*hugs*

bureaucracy sucks. We still cannot burry my ma. Wonder when authorities here are content with the papers we feed them. It is just exhausting not to be able to burry your dead.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2785 on: January 05, 2015, 06:02:48 AM »
*hugs*

bureaucracy sucks. We still cannot burry my ma. Wonder when authorities here are content with the papers we feed them. It is just exhausting not to be able to burry your dead.
Oh, kex :( *hugs*
That's truly shocking. Is that a "normal" amount of paperwork or are these authorities purposefully making things harder for you? :( Because that's just....

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2786 on: January 05, 2015, 06:11:28 AM »
*hugs*

Oh, kex!  I'm so sorry to hear that!  Burying your dead is such a fundamental right.  (And did I miss hearing about your mother's death?  I apologize if I wasn't paying attention.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2787 on: January 05, 2015, 06:23:53 AM »
I think I missed that, too! *hugs kex* I hope that bureaucracy gets sorted out quickly so you can bury your mom.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2788 on: January 05, 2015, 07:23:43 AM »
Oh, kex!  I'm so sorry to hear that!  Burying your dead is such a fundamental right.  (And did I miss hearing about your mother's death?  I apologize if I wasn't paying attention.)

I might have left a cryptic note around christmas and sorted it out on the chat-therapy-group.

Thx you guys.

Good news, I am finally working on my exams and I want those kids to have fun with multiplying. there is some paper- and cutwork to do here as well but I will do it. not to sure about the cube-stuff for the elder pupils so far...

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2789 on: January 05, 2015, 10:58:54 PM »
Random unimportant personal news of the day: I ate apparently too much for dinner and now I feel extra gross and lethargic...ughhhhh...food, why must you do this to me?! *shakes fist at sky*