Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387985 times)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2760 on: January 03, 2015, 11:28:49 PM »
Oh, lord.  Five tween girls plus your sister, all hopped up on junk food.  I feel for you. 
Do they still have super-shrill, high voices?  Or are they big enough to have big heavy footsteps, even if they only weigh about 70 pounds?

Uh, I suppose they all have normal voices?

The whole lot of them are dancers, though, so they spent the last hour having various dance-move competitions and are now breaking out the ice cream. I think they've forgotten school starts back up on Monday.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2761 on: January 03, 2015, 11:53:49 PM »
Awwww! You get a bazillion eldest-cousin-points! X) They sound pretty cute! And tiny! 8D
Pickles...hehehe...that does sound mean ;___;
I only have two first cousins on the island, and we don't get to see each other any more due to a family feud, but we all used to play in our grandparents' garden and watch AtLA all the time when we were little.

Your sister....said...what?? :0 Whyyyyyy? *cries* ;m; How did that come up in her conversation? Did she hear a horrible bogan accent somewhere....? D8

Slightly related subject: last night my sisters and I had a card game/scrabble marathon for our last night at the beach, and people thought we were drunk because we were laughing so hard... We changed "Go Fish" to "Sorry Neighbour" with over-exaggerated southern US accents. And we were crying because it sounded so ridiculous X'S We always go into a card berserker mode when we play, and come out with all kinds of crazy banter...but it was just too much to handle so we had to tone it down before someone hyperventilated and collapsed from silliness O______O
Ahaha the best advice XD
We were ordering food from an Australian themed restaurant, and I started doing the accent.  She admitted that she needlessly hates on things like that and that it was silly of her.

I havent had a time like that in years, actually.  Oh yeah, now that you have a proper laptop, you can probably do vocaroo now, right?
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2762 on: January 04, 2015, 12:21:20 AM »
Owl!  Welcome back from the set of "Tasmanian Beach Party!"  (Or was it "Gidget Goes Tasmanian"?)

1. What are "bogans"?  You used that term before.

2. Wait till I teach you and your sisters how to play "Spoons," about the only card game that's actually *better* with a couple of mismatched decks missing a few cards each.  Everyone will need supplementary oxygen by the end of the game.

3. I think your sisters were inhaling the same laughing gas as my little nephews, when at Christmas we were all playing "Dance Dance Revolution" (or whatever the dance game is on the XBox).  Every time the machine started to take pictures of us (and mine are under *strict* lockdown as potential blackmail material), they pulled up their shirts to expose their tummies and then literally fell on the floor laughing.
Hehe glad to be back! Sadly it was more like "fishless fishing trek with seasick mum" ÚAÙ

1. Bogans are......I can't even explain it. It's too horrifying.
2. We love Spoons!!! Sometimes we put the spoons on the other side of the room X'D (because wrestling and tackling just doesn't work out on a table...) We like to play Spoons, Speed, Cheat, Snap and Go Fish :3
3. I think you might be right there ;P it's a dangerous substance this hysterical laughter....

We were ordering food from an Australian themed restaurant, and I started doing the accent.  She admitted that she needlessly hates on things like that and that it was silly of her.

I havent had a time like that in years, actually.  Oh yeah, now that you have a proper laptop, you can probably do vocaroo now, right?
There are.....Australian themed....restaurants...??! *mind totally blown* What are they like? What do they sell as food?? Was your accent any good? O_____O X'P

I'm not sure about the Vocaroo yet, I think it's a home network security issue, but I'll see what happens if I use my phone as an independent wifi thingy.... :/
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #2763 on: January 04, 2015, 01:51:58 AM »
There are.....Australian themed....restaurants...??! *mind totally blown* What are they like? What do they sell as food?? Was your accent any good? O_____O X'P

I am also curious! I mean, I can picture an outback-themed restaurant (lots of kangaroos, didgeridoos, boomerangs, etc. etc.), but as to food... nothing. Nothing. Nothiiiing. Except maybe sausages with unidentifiable innards. And pavlova, but that was proven to be a New Zealand creation anyway.

As to bogan... well, it's not, most definitely not, the Wikipedia definition of it. Try the Urban Dictionary, specifically definitions 1, 2, and 4. Remarkably accurate, and gives you a wonderful view of the beautiful culture found down here...

Question: If we want to share videos and tutorials on art here-about, would the Forum's Art Museum be an appropriate location, or should an entirely new thread be created?
Am notified of private messages via email.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2764 on: January 04, 2015, 04:03:17 AM »
I am also curious! I mean, I can picture an outback-themed restaurant (lots of kangaroos, didgeridoos, boomerangs, etc. etc.), but as to food... nothing. Nothing. Nothiiiing. Except maybe sausages with unidentifiable innards. And pavlova, but that was proven to be a New Zealand creation anyway.

As to bogan... well, it's not, most definitely not, the Wikipedia definition of it. Try the Urban Dictionary, specifically definitions 1, 2, and 4. Remarkably accurate, and gives you a wonderful view of the beautiful culture found down here...

Question: If we want to share videos and tutorials on art here-about, would the Forum's Art Museum be an appropriate location, or should an entirely new thread be created?
Hehe I would've thought barbecue-y things (not the US version of BBQ, with all that sauce stuff and...ribs. [I've only ever seen ribs eaten in American tv shows and movies]) and lots of seafood like prawns and fish and calamari...and yes definitely pavlova and maybe lamingtons n stuff? Mang...goes...? And fruit?
But other than that...it sounds like a mystery O__O

Edit: Maybe they'd have roo or wallaby or crocodile on the menu? X'P

*shudder* Having to temporarily live in such close proximities to them was a living nightmare. How many times do they want to play "Working Class Man" (which does not even apply to them) and "Born in the USA"?? TOO MANY TIMES ;___; ... too many.... I actually had a nightmare one night where I had to babysit all these screaming children...only to wake up and realize the screaming wasn't a dream: it was next door. And they're always watching us from their porches with their beer. Always watching. They can see into our bedroom so we don't open the curtains. O__O it's horrifying. And they leave cans and broken glass and trash everywhere, even chucking it over their fence onto the road. Like, WHY?!?!
We had a plan to secretly throw all their garbage back into their yard after they migrated back north...but we were too scared that their neighbour friends would tell them it was the "posh toffs" who threw rubbish in their yard. They'd burn our holiday house down or something D,8 (btw, we get arson attempts and frequent trespassing and vandalism at home enough as it is...but if they made a move on our beach house my golly gosh they'd get what-for)
They're not....particularly likable folks most of the time...

Hmmm for your Question, I'd say...make a thread, and then if it needs to be moved then it can be popped into the appropriate thread? Maybe.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 04:08:12 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2765 on: January 04, 2015, 05:41:25 AM »
Hehe I would've thought barbecue-y things (not the US version of BBQ, with all that sauce stuff and...ribs. [I've only ever seen ribs eaten in American tv shows and movies]) and lots of seafood like prawns and fish and calamari...and yes definitely pavlova and maybe lamingtons n stuff? Mang...goes...? And fruit?

I'm willing to bet it was Outback Steakhouse, a popular chain that serves mostly "the US version of BBQ with all that sauce stuff and ribs," with a faint Australian veneer, in enormous portions.  Snarky cultural critique here (contrasted with a fancy New York restaurant that actually does serve roo and emu.)

*shudder* And they're always watching us from their porches with their beer. Always watching. They can see into our bedroom so we don't open the curtains. O__O it's horrifying. And they leave cans and broken glass and trash everywhere, even chucking it over their fence onto the road. Like, WHY?!?!

Haha, do you think they're actually undercover agents from the Child Detection Agency, like in "Monsters, Inc."?  That would explain why they're "always watching." 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2766 on: January 04, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »
I'm willing to bet it was Outback Steakhouse, a popular chain that serves mostly "the US version of BBQ with all that sauce stuff and ribs," with a faint Australian veneer, in enormous portions.  Snarky cultural critique here (contrasted with a fancy New York restaurant that actually does serve roo and emu.)

Haha, do you think they're actually undercover agents from the Child Detection Agency, like in "Monsters, Inc."?  That would explain why they're "always watching." 
I feel like I gained 10kg just reading a brief description of their menu O____O
American portion sizes scare me...which...is sayin' something. (I may have US-food-themed nightmares tonight)

Sorta like Roz.....but also sorta like... They're waiting for the opportune moment to steal your kitchen appliances and tomato sauce, then scrawl "Tommo waz ere" on your front door to mark your dwelling as "done" to fellow bogan passers-by.....?

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2767 on: January 04, 2015, 07:37:09 AM »
I feel like I gained 10kg just reading a brief description of their menu O____O
American portion sizes scare me...which...is sayin' something. (I may have US-food-themed nightmares tonight)

Sorta like Roz.....but also sorta like... They're waiting for the opportune moment to steal your kitchen appliances and tomato sauce, then scrawl "Tommo waz ere" on your front door to mark your dwelling as "done" to fellow bogan passers-by.....?
:D I really liked to see that happening!

In Germany they finally got the hint with the society growing fatter and fatter, so not only seniors and children are able to order smaller portions now in restaurants. Still Hamburgers or Steaks weighing between 1-2 Kilo pretty much scare me.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2768 on: January 04, 2015, 07:39:39 AM »
I've heard about "Austalian restaurants" (and even butcher shops) here in Germany offering roo meat, but the only time it got even remotely popular was during the BSE scare. ::)

Fact is that Australia needs to control their numbers (lack of predators), and since the Australians themselves have sorta turned away from the meat, most of it is exported. (The part that isn't is mostly made into dog food.)

Crocodile meat exists, too, but the farms producing it IIUC are more of a SE Asian than an Australian thing. Germans typically don't have much knowledge of crocodilians (or reptiles in general), I'ld guess that the first location they'ld associate with "Krokodil" would be Egypt (Nile crocodiles), so roos are the better iconic dish for those restaurants.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2769 on: January 04, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »
:D I really liked to see that happening!

In Germany they finally got the hint with the society growing fatter and fatter, so not only seniors and children are able to order smaller portions now in restaurants. Still Hamburgers or Steaks weighing between 1-2 Kilo pretty much scare me.

Can I please come to Germany to eat?

Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2770 on: January 04, 2015, 08:31:24 AM »

your parents might oppose :D but you are welcome to drop in ;)
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #2771 on: January 04, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »
Risotti are still difficult to find ... ;)

(Got one Italian restaurant near home and one Indian? restaurant near work offering them now, among 30-50 Italian restaurants within the the same radius. And I'm willing to bet they're both using Basmati for it.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2772 on: January 04, 2015, 09:07:18 AM »
American restaurant portions are just as scary as you think they are - I don't think I'm going to upgrade from the "child" sized portion anytime soon. Sometimes at restaurants with particularly large portions we will split three plates between and still have enough extra for someone to have a meal the next day. For some reason the oversized portion thing is especially prevalent in fake Mexican food chains - at least in my experience.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2773 on: January 04, 2015, 10:09:17 AM »
It was Outback Steakhouse, haha.  Just a bit of decoration and some different names on the menu (the French fries are called "Aussie fries"  XP).  I don't think anybody eats Outback's portions in one sitting.  I used to get the ribs from there, and they would feed me for three dinners (except when I was younger, when I could easily eat an entire rack of ribs and more, all at once...  My appetite has slowed enormously in the last few years).  I just got the salmon last night, which is actually a normal portion size. 
The reason American restaurants have such large portions is because a lot of Americans are obsessed with getting the most out of their money.  If we can get three meals' worth of food for $20, we'll take it.

Also, "bogans" seem to be a lot like suburban rednecks are over here, according to those urban dictionary definitions.  White trash, etc... Though I assume bogan is a race neutral term, which is amazing, because we don't have a word like that that won't offend somebody yet.  I may start using it...
Feel free to PM.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #2774 on: January 04, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
American restaurant portions are just as scary as you think they are - I don't think I'm going to upgrade from the "child" sized portion anytime soon. Sometimes at restaurants with particularly large portions we will split three plates between and still have enough extra for someone to have a meal the next day.

That's basically how our family does it, though unfortunately most places we've gone to don't actually have "child" sized portions. But hey, at least we don't need to cook the next day.

Oh no, winter break is almost over... I spent the past few days doing nice quiet introvert-y things (re-reading webcomics, finally getting through some of my reading list, drawing, wandering around Proteus, and NOT going to New Year's parties), and now I really don't want to start school again. I had so much things I wanted to do over break, too. Oh well.