Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387469 times)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #18135 on: May 03, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
It's one of those shows that's been made a few times

It is rather plot 5b; but genuinely new plots are quite rare. The question IMO really is, are the authors doing something interesting with plot 5b?

(No, I don't have a solidified set of numbers; I can't even figure out just where to start. After The World Ends clearly isn't #1, though; there are too many contenders for that position. I'm not sure it wasn't, How Grandmama Found Water In The Last Dry Season.)

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18136 on: May 03, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »
It is rather plot 5b; but genuinely new plots are quite rare. The question IMO really is, are the authors doing something interesting with plot 5b?

If you make the characters interesting, the plot will be almost irrelevant.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #18137 on: May 03, 2018, 05:08:24 PM »
If you make the characters interesting, the plot will be almost irrelevant.

The secret to so many romance novels!  The bad ones think that 'interesting' means florid description of their physical features, eg cerulean orbs, raven tresses, tanned shoulders, etc.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #18138 on: May 03, 2018, 08:59:42 PM »
'Interesting' for me tends to be more about the characters and their interactions than about their appearances. Not that I mind a pretty character, but there needs to be more to them than just that.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #18139 on: May 05, 2018, 12:08:36 AM »
Good luck everyone who's starting AP tests on Monday, or who is taking the SAT tomorrow (now today I suppose)! I hope you all can get that last bit of study in, a good night's sleep, and a bit of a breather before testing begins.

If this is anyone's first SAT or AP exam, relax, don't stress too badly, and don't bother cramming. Cramming isn't going to help you very much (it makes it harder to remember what you knew before and you aren't as likely to remember what you're cramming). When you're studying, take a 15 minute break every hour or half hour. This both helps with stress levels and gives your brain time to process what it's learning. Don't just reread your notes; if you can't or don't want to do more practice questions, at the very least rewrite your notes by hand. This helps your brain focus on what you're reading and can help you organize the information in your head. Make sure you eat a good breakfast, and don't ignore your bodily needs in favor of studying. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated (which is always important in any situation). Prepare what you need the night before so you aren't rushing around the morning of trying to find everything. Make sure to have multiple number 2 pencils or pens (I don't actually know if any need pens...) and check to make sure you don't need anything else. Once it's the day of the test, don't look at any notes. It will actually make you do worse; you will forget what you learned already and it will psych you out.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18140 on: May 05, 2018, 01:37:38 AM »
Good luck everyone who's starting AP tests on Monday, or who is taking the SAT tomorrow (now today I suppose)! I hope you all can get that last bit of study in, a good night's sleep, and a bit of a breather before testing begins.

If this is anyone's first SAT or AP exam, relax, don't stress too badly, and don't bother cramming. Cramming isn't going to help you very much (it makes it harder to remember what you knew before and you aren't as likely to remember what you're cramming). When you're studying, take a 15 minute break every hour or half hour. This both helps with stress levels and gives your brain time to process what it's learning. Don't just reread your notes; if you can't or don't want to do more practice questions, at the very least rewrite your notes by hand. This helps your brain focus on what you're reading and can help you organize the information in your head. Make sure you eat a good breakfast, and don't ignore your bodily needs in favor of studying. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated (which is always important in any situation). Prepare what you need the night before so you aren't rushing around the morning of trying to find everything. Make sure to have multiple number 2 pencils or pens (I don't actually know if any need pens...) and check to make sure you don't need anything else. Once it's the day of the test, don't look at any notes. It will actually make you do worse; you will forget what you learned already and it will psych you out.

Splendid advice in general, especially the part about breakfast (even if you're not a fan of breakfast).  Good luck to you all. 

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

Hearth

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #18141 on: May 05, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »
I took the SAT for the first time this morning! And I did...okay...I think... And I left my water bottle at home. At least I made myself some pancakes for breakfast and had almost everything ready the night before, so I did something right! It’s a relief to have it over with. Now I get to study over the summer and retake the test in the fall yay. Thanks for the good wishes! (even if I didn’t see them until after I’d already taken it but they still count, don’t they?)
Native: :usa:
Learned a little, forgot most of it: :france:
Learning: :vaticancity:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #18142 on: May 06, 2018, 05:38:32 PM »
I found this and it is glorious

Am notified of private messages via email.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18143 on: May 07, 2018, 04:42:33 AM »
Occasionally people say they have difficulty getting the latest page to load or getting redirected, but I never had difficulties like that, until now.  Across every device I have, the page loads for 1-2 seconds and then just goes white, with a spinning status icon.  On some desktops, I can get archived pages, but not others.  My phone still allows me onto the page.  I have cleared caches and cookies on all my devices.  I do not have difficulties with any other Hiveworks-affiliated webcomic.
Any ideas?  Anybody else having problems? 

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #18144 on: May 07, 2018, 05:17:38 AM »
No problem seeing the page on my end. I've occasionally in the past had a problem where the site suddenly refused to aknowledge the existence of pages beyond a certain point in time (like say, it would not show anything past page 230 when we were already on page 280), but it has always returned to normal within a day.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

LooNEY_DAC

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18145 on: May 07, 2018, 08:05:00 AM »
Occasionally people say they have difficulty getting the latest page to load or getting redirected, but I never had difficulties like that, until now.  Across every device I have, the page loads for 1-2 seconds and then just goes white, with a spinning status icon.  On some desktops, I can get archived pages, but not others.  My phone still allows me onto the page.  I have cleared caches and cookies on all my devices.  I do not have difficulties with any other Hiveworks-affiliated webcomic.
I am, in the same manner as you are.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #18146 on: May 07, 2018, 08:25:37 AM »
I've had that problem since yesterday morning (France time zone) and was just PMing Feartheviolas about it because I wasn't sure where or who to ask about it. She told me she didn't have any kind of problem seeing the pages, but since the ads were my prime suspect, she mentioned she was using an ad blocker in her reply.

What I technically have is a tracker blocker that is overzealous enough to effectively be an ad blocker on most sites I visit not named Youtube, and taking the ssss comic site off its whitelist did nothing to fix the problem. I was just checking what happened with a Firefox private navigation window when I saw this, and the problem was still there.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:41:29 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18147 on: May 07, 2018, 09:53:18 AM »

Pretty much the exact thing you're seeing.

Thankfully we're in a chapter break!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #18148 on: May 07, 2018, 10:47:22 AM »
I've occasionally in the past had a problem where the site suddenly refused to aknowledge the existence of pages beyond a certain point in time (like say, it would not show anything past page 230 when we were already on page 280)
(That particular problem was caused by the DNS entries for "sssscomic.com" having an additional IPv6 address that pointed to Minna's old, now "backup" and rarely updated, server at nebula.fi. It seems that that got fixed by now:
Code: [Select]
$ host -t any sssscomic.com.
sssscomic.com has SOA record ns.nebula.fi. hostmaster.nebula.fi. 2017042401 1113029 600 2419200 3600
sssscomic.com mail is handled by 10 mailserver18.nebula.fi.
sssscomic.com has address 148.163.89.10
sssscomic.com name server ns.nebula.fi.
sssscomic.com name server ns2.nebula.fi.

$ host -t any www.sssscomic.com.
www.sssscomic.com has address 148.163.89.10
)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18149 on: May 07, 2018, 04:02:08 PM »
Pretty much the exact thing you're seeing.

Thankfully we're in a chapter break!
I am, in the same manner as you are.

People with bigger propellers than mine are having the same problem?  Meep.