Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409440 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2715 on: January 01, 2015, 01:41:25 AM »
I'm really not looking forward to going back.  Just...  ggggggggggggggggggggggggah.,.

Think a canon just went off.  Heard that one through my ear phones.

The noise has stopped over here, only heard fireworks for a few minutes anyway. No cannons. Seems that people have decided to actually uphold the law.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2716 on: January 01, 2015, 07:07:25 AM »
So yesterday (or today, actually) was not that terrible. Only about fourteen people actually showed up, most of whom I know well enough. We played around with all types of fireworks (after the last one exploded, my uncle's first comment was "115 euros. They just exploded) and ate a lot and mostly had fun.

I'm actually a bit sad because my parents were not there - dad "was not feeling well" and had to go to the hospital. I already thought something was going on, and today mom informed me that dad would be in the hospital for a month. And they still won't tell me what is wrong. Plus, my family from Albania (grandparents, uncle, aunt, kids...) will come over and also stay for a full month. I'm really not in the mood. Dad is sick and I already have things to care about. I don't want to share a house with ten people for a month. I don't want to stay without my dad for a month. I don't want to be treated like a child, I'd like to know at least what's wrong with him. I just... Well, I guess today's not a good day.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #2717 on: January 01, 2015, 09:26:28 AM »
Oh, that sounds terrible.  :-[ Why don't people understand that knowing something is wrong without knowing what is wrong is one of the worst possible feelings?
I hope your father gets well soon and your family doesn't disturb your normal life too much (if that's what you wouldn't like).

I always wondered who would be crazy enough to spend so much money on fireworks... ??? We had some small things "for youths" for under 5€ and watched the fireworks of the neighbours. Luckily we were far away from the parts of the city where New Years Eve feels like the beginning of the 3rd World War (I was there once and don't want to repeat the experience).
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #2718 on: January 01, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »
I just... Well, I guess today's not a good day.

(((( HUGS ))))

I hope they get honest and tell you what's going on soon, however bad it might be. It's better that way.

Hang in there, remember to take care of yourself.
My one-and-only: :uk:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2719 on: January 01, 2015, 07:57:57 PM »
I just... Well, I guess today's not a good day.

*shares a warm hug*
know how you feel.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2720 on: January 02, 2015, 05:47:30 AM »
Aww, thanks guys. *accepts warm hugs*. In the end I had to talk to dad personally, but at least I know what's going on. A more severe version of my own illness (that thrombocytopenia I mentioned in the chat). It feels so much better when you know just what is wrong.

I always wondered who would be crazy enough to spend so much money on fireworks... ??? We had some small things "for youths" for under 5€ and watched the fireworks of the neighbours. Luckily we were far away from the parts of the city where New Years Eve feels like the beginning of the 3rd World War (I was there once and don't want to repeat the experience).

Heh, that shouldn't be too much money for my uncle. Back when I lived in Tirana I was too young to stay awake for New Years', but one year I managed to resist until midnight. We were far away from the city centre. Wait, wait, wait, BOOM. The sky was on fire. It sounded like a thousand bombs going off at the same time. I seriously thought I was going to die. (Well, a few people do die and/or get severely injured every year in Tirana. It's just not New Year if it doesn't happen, you know?)
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2721 on: January 02, 2015, 06:59:32 AM »
Aww, thanks guys. *accepts warm hugs*. In the end I had to talk to dad personally, but at least I know what's going on. A more severe version of my own illness (that thrombocytopenia I mentioned in the chat). It feels so much better when you know just what is wrong.

Totally. And better to get scared by bad news then having no time for good byes. I am not sure how severe that diagnosis is but it seems he will manage to leave hospital after they are done with the treatment?

It appears I am more fond of learning French and Norwegian at present then planning on my exams. I should. Well I know I will do something on multiplying with the younger ones but not sure what to do with the old ones yet. They will need to work in groups during the exam so the topic should involve doing stuff in groups. I am not too sure whether I should let them do experiments on "chance", let them find out stuff about "fields" or just do some sums with money or weights... Buuut my plan is to make a desicion on that at least today, cause after a decision is made it is always easier to go on.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2722 on: January 02, 2015, 07:33:44 AM »
Totally. And better to get scared by bad news then having no time for good byes. I am not sure how severe that diagnosis is but it seems he will manage to leave hospital after they are done with the treatment?

It appears I am more fond of learning French and Norwegian at present then planning on my exams. I should. Well I know I will do something on multiplying with the younger ones but not sure what to do with the old ones yet. They will need to work in groups during the exam so the topic should involve doing stuff in groups. I am not too sure whether I should let them do experiments on "chance", let them find out stuff about "fields" or just do some sums with money or weights... Buuut my plan is to make a desicion on that at least today, cause after a decision is made it is always easier to go on.

I agree completely that the fear of the unknown is many times scarier than most other kinds of fear. I'm also sending you hugs, Nimphy!

Being a teacher must be so hard; it seems like my mom is grading papers 24/7. On the bright side, there are worse past times you could have than learning languages. As to what you should actually do with the students, I can't be much help without having some idea as to what the curriculum is - all of those things for the older kids sound like so much fun! (As for the younger ones... I can't help but really sorry for them. Math frustrated me so much as an elementary student that it took me years to learn my multiplication tables and to this day I can't do long division.)

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2723 on: January 02, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »
(As for the younger ones... I can't help but really sorry for them. Math frustrated me so much as an elementary student that it took me years to learn my multiplication tables and to this day I can't do long division.)

I don't know how long division is even taught to elementary schoolers for them to understand it. I remember understanding it while I was in elementary school, but I took math up through junior year of high school and since we hardly ever used it... every single person in my trigonometry class, including me, had to be retaught long division. Even then I was still confused and still am. (thank goodness I'm going into an arts career)

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2724 on: January 02, 2015, 12:29:14 PM »
Long division is just a trick to do division, but it doesn't help at all with understanding division.  There are a lot of numberphile videos on YouTube that are good for understanding it.  Oh, and Vihart videos.  Vihart is fun and has lots of doodles and hexa-flex-agons.  In fact, if there's a mathematician who would read SSSS, it would probably be Vihart.
Feel free to PM.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2725 on: January 02, 2015, 12:56:10 PM »
Long division is just a trick to do division, but it doesn't help at all with understanding division.  There are a lot of numberphile videos on YouTube that are good for understanding it.  Oh, and Vihart videos.  Vihart is fun and has lots of doodles and hexa-flex-agons.  In fact, if there's a mathematician who would read SSSS, it would probably be Vihart.
I don't know how long division is even taught to elementary schoolers for them to understand it. I remember understanding it while I was in elementary school, but I took math up through junior year of high school and since we hardly ever used it... every single person in my trigonometry class, including me, had to be retaught long division. Even then I was still confused and still am. (thank goodness I'm going into an arts career)

No, I understood division just fine - that was easy. I for whatever reason I just could not and cannot wrap my head around long division. Recently in my Algebra 2 class they showed us Synthetic division and I was like why didn't you show us this before?! Here I am, for years failing math tests when we aren't allowed calculators because no matter how much I studied long division I could not understand it. I grasped the concept of this new type before the teacher had even finished explaining it.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2726 on: January 02, 2015, 01:15:57 PM »

I totally agree.  I'm sorry that your dad has to stay in the hospital, but I'm glad at least you and he could talk about it.  (Especially since it's a condition you both have.)   I know you'll be a great support for him, your mom, and the rest of the family.  ((Hug.)) 

And I know it'll be hard when your whole extended family comes to stay -- crowded, noisy, and probably everyone tense and anxious because of your dad.  Remember to build in some time to be alone and clear your head.  Even if it means coming up with excuses like, "I promised to walk the neighbors' dog" or something. 

Take care!  I'm wishing for the best!!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2727 on: January 02, 2015, 09:42:34 PM »
Ugh. I just heard someone shoot off, like, seven fireworks. It's the second day of January, people, yeesh...  :P

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2728 on: January 02, 2015, 11:18:52 PM »
Ugh. I just heard someone shoot off, like, seven fireworks. It's the second day of January, people, yeesh...  :P
Everyone here finished off their fireworks yesterday (at about noon but, y'know...)!
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2729 on: January 02, 2015, 11:31:02 PM »
Everyone here finished off their fireworks yesterday (at about noon but, y'know...)!

Who knows, maybe the people near me just had really, really bad hangovers...