Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410296 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2475 on: December 17, 2014, 11:37:23 PM »
Like I just said in the comments, I'm mostly packed up now.  Driving home tomorrow from work at 1:00!  *Yell-Sigh*
That apathy we talked about last week is hitting me pretty hard right now.  It's probably because I've been getting 4-5 hours of sleep every night for two months, plus the anticipation of being free from busywork for two whole weeks, plus some (admittedly childish) angst about it not being 3-4 weeks like the other students get to have.  Just 6 more hours of work tomorrow morning, and then I can relax for a little while... maybe start working out again... who knows?  Okay, actually, that cheered me up a bit.  I do want to get in shape again.

I don't get invited to parties.  In high school, it was because my friends and I needed our personal space.  We'd get together for birthdays and stuff, and the odd hangout session, but not much more than that.  Now, it's because I don't know anybody where I live.  :/   :\   :/
I am feeling that apathy right now. Hmm, I haven't been getting very much sleep myself... But come on, two whole weeks is still a lot! That's all I got in high school!
I admittedly have not been invited to a party since I moved here, but I'm really not too interested in parties. And I'm kind of scared of college parties... (And there are supposedly a whole lot of kids who do drugs at my school... I don't want to accidentally be part of that scene.)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #2476 on: December 17, 2014, 11:48:03 PM »
Glad to hear you survived OK.  But I am not getting a good impression of your doctor.   >:(
(As if she would care what one of OrigamiOwl's invisible playmates thinks... still, I've had to go to the doctor for many things over the years, and I've rarely had such an uphill battle as what you describe.)
Yeah, the only thing she gave me advice on was to buy the set of adobe programs with the student discount. She wasn't very talkative, and a tad grumpy. Usually she bounces into the reception and yodels peoples names, but she didn't. Even the surgery dog seemed subdued, he was moping on the table/bench/bed. Maybe she's secretly a minion O_________O but I'm going back on Wednesday to discuss the results so maybe she'll be happier then?
She's relatively new, from SA. (Maybe they booted her out and are keeping her out of the way) It says on some website that she likes the "cradle to grave" aspect of working in small rural towns. Well I'll bet she'll see a lot of graves. O___O (aging population and all that ;P)
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2477 on: December 17, 2014, 11:50:58 PM »
Congratulations!  Those of us who've seen your artwork on the Forum never doubted your skills for a minute.  But it's always great when you start believing in yourself. 

Maybe down the road you could share some of your classwork on the Forum?

;D
I'll share some when I get some good pictures.

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2478 on: December 17, 2014, 11:56:56 PM »
I am feeling that apathy right now. Hmm, I haven't been getting very much sleep myself... But come on, two whole weeks is still a lot! That's all I got in high school!
I admittedly have not been invited to a party since I moved here, but I'm really not too interested in parties. And I'm kind of scared of college parties... (And there are supposedly a whole lot of kids who do drugs at my school... I don't want to accidentally be part of that scene.)
I'm seriously putting myself in an early grave, with how little sleep I get, I think... 

I'm not really a partier either, but it'd be nice to get invited somewhere every now and then. 

I think drugs is mostly a freshman thing, here.  Freshman year, there were two guys on my friend's hall who did shrooms - freaking shrooms - regularly.  His hall was notorious for drugs, though, and almost everyone else there smoked pot, or did something at least a little.  Most of them dropped out after a semester or two.
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2479 on: December 18, 2014, 12:11:18 AM »
I'm seriously putting myself in an early grave, with how little sleep I get, I think... 

I'm not really a partier either, but it'd be nice to get invited somewhere every now and then. 

I think drugs is mostly a freshman thing, here.  Freshman year, there were two guys on my friend's hall who did shrooms - freaking shrooms - regularly.  His hall was notorious for drugs, though, and almost everyone else there smoked pot, or did something at least a little.  Most of them dropped out after a semester or two.
Yeah, as I said in the chat room, I passed out around 4 today for lack of sleep... I felt terrible when I woke up.  :P

I only know about the drug thing because one guy from my high school who goes here said that "there are a lot of drugs at [school name]," but he was also a freshman when he said that... And I live in a freshman/new transfer student dorm building, and sometimes the elevator will stop on a floor and it'll just completely smell like pot... so there's a chance that the freshman thing isn't too far off for my school either.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2480 on: December 18, 2014, 12:19:01 AM »
Ouch Piney.

Thanks to the others for your kind words. I'll have to go for work now. Well, I'll see if it is as bad as I fear.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2481 on: December 18, 2014, 12:24:05 AM »
Ouch Piney.

Thanks to the others for your kind words. I'll have to go for work now. Well, I'll see if it is as bad as I fear.
Best of luck!
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2482 on: December 18, 2014, 12:25:27 AM »
Ouch Piney.

*crosses fingers*

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2483 on: December 18, 2014, 12:42:54 AM »
Ouch Piney.

Hope it goes well, Kex! Good luck to you!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2484 on: December 18, 2014, 12:47:02 AM »
I had a real s*** of a day. I intended to talk with my mentor about her having many problems at present... She felt really hurt and that was not what I intended. I clearly chose the wrong words and she told me it was all my fault. If I had only asked for more assistance she would have given it. Also she stated, that she felt being pushed of from leading the class because I took so many lessons.

What it comes down to is that both of us had not talked enough about our needs. We did not make clear what we felt was necessary for each of us for reaching pleasant teamwork. As both of us had not done right, I feel sad, that the fault should lie on my only. I'm always for talking things out.

But I think it might have been better if I had swallowed my troubles for a few month, at least til after the exam. It makes me feel uncomfortable to make other people sad. Well, it cannot be undone. We will have to work together for the next days. And after the christmas break we will have to talk things out again. Time sometimes makes both sides see things more clearly.
Aww, kex, I'm sorry to hear that.  For what it's worth, I think it was brave and constructive of you to bring up the topic, and I'm sure you did it politely.  I'm only sorry she flared up at you.  I agree with an earlier poster that she was probably just reacting defensively and will regret it later -- but still, that's got to hurt.  All the more because you know it takes two to have a misunderstanding like this.  And she's a seasoned teacher, so I think the greater responsibility lies on her to raise and address any concerns. 

Better luck tomorrow!
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #2485 on: December 18, 2014, 04:07:46 AM »
Good luck to you, kex!
As we were all talking about apathy, I can totally chime in. I handed in my thesis two weeks ago, and now there's just... nothing. During writing, I imagined I would be totally happy in this time, with nothing serious to do, like the most best holiday. Instead it feels more like a black hole I'm sucked into, and I get more lazy* every day. And I've got the nagging feeling it will get even worse after Christmas when I will be seriously without any job (at the moment, I still have my student job for 8h/week that forces me to get up at a reasonable time and dress at least twice a week).
It's not that I don't know what to do - I've got a whole list of fun projects, but in the end I just don't find the energy to do them.

*Is there a word like lazier?
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Fenris

« Reply #2486 on: December 18, 2014, 05:09:01 AM »
Know the feeling regarding apathy, even if this year I'll mostly be doing small-time jobs around the farm and the occasional odd-job that crops up. At least I need to get up at a reasonable time because of the dogs and whenever I decide to go hunting (although, hunting season will end in only four days). Hopefully it will snow soon so I can plow both at home and for others. Come spring and I will probably miss having too many hours in the day and not enough to fill them with, though.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2487 on: December 18, 2014, 05:21:56 AM »
Know the feeling regarding apathy, even if this year I'll mostly be doing small-time jobs around the farm and the occasional odd-job that crops up. At least I need to get up at a reasonable time because of the dogs and whenever I decide to go hunting (although, hunting season will end in only four days). Hopefully it will snow soon so I can plow both at home and for others. Come spring and I will probably miss having too many hours in the day and not enough to fill them with, though.
*farm jobs through Christmas high five* ;__;

EDIT: oooh! Oh! Also! What are some things to do to not feel like poop tomorrow (and in general)?? Any uplifting jams or pictures? Because I just know tomorrow and the rest of the week/year is probably going to suck. A lot. :/

:3
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:18:44 AM by OrigamiOwl »

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2488 on: December 18, 2014, 07:30:03 AM »
So it wasn't too bad. The hurt is not to be undone, but at least we can cope in a way, the children are not affected by. there will be plenty of time to think this over during the next few weeks and finally she has to decide how much hurt I can do to her. It is not just what people say to us, what hurts, but the way we interpret the message. She decided to hear only the attack while I wasn't able to express the fears lying beneath what I was saying. I fear, I'll be thinking this over and over again during the next days but maybe I'll manage to find the right words after the holydays by then.

For all the bad the situation had, there is some positive things to say:
Bot of us, me and her, are able to behave like adults, for we get our work done together,
Neither wants the other harm.
And what can be better to know how those situations work, then facing this during a point in your live, were many changes will await me?
Also my boyfriend does not pamper me, but acts caring while he forces me to take responsibility for what is to come.

Though this helps a lot, I will deafen my brain with learning languages for the next hour.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2489 on: December 18, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
;________________;

Surely you have? What about......when....you were 5...? O__O
Well, only couple of times when i was a 10y old child, but not after that.