Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387956 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16935 on: December 31, 2016, 07:38:56 PM »
I liked that scene. I believe the 'Lord of the Rings' movies were largely filmed in NZ. The glaciers are well worth a visit!

Also, happy new year, everyone!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #16936 on: December 31, 2016, 08:28:02 PM »
 :sparkle: Happy New Year and a Good Continuation on this new year!  :sparkle:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:17:08 PM by Basse »
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16937 on: January 01, 2017, 01:38:17 AM »
Happy new year everyone! :D I'm looking forward to 2017.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

heiteru

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: really don't care. you can use whatever you like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #16938 on: January 01, 2017, 07:10:01 AM »
 :sparkle: Счастливого Нового Года ! :sparkle: - as we say it on Russian xD
Happy New Year, forumers! You're amazing!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:20:36 PM by heiteru »
native : :russia:
mistakes can't stop me: :uk: / :usa:
one day~ : :iceland: , :finland:

chapter joined : :chap5:
chapter break survivor: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

ROBIN, THANKS FOR THE AVATAR, YOU'RE THE BEST, LOVE YOU <3

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16939 on: January 01, 2017, 05:57:31 PM »
Anyone else having trouble viewing comments on the comic? Disqus doesn't show up for me at all there anymore.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #16940 on: January 02, 2017, 05:10:54 AM »
...somehow this afternoon started with a two hour feast and ended with me belting out "Bad Romance" in front of all of my colleagues.

Um...
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

« Reply #16941 on: January 03, 2017, 08:41:19 AM »
Well. We appear to have bandicoots.

I should explain that a bandicoot is a smallish (maybe small-cat-size to medium-rat-size)  Australian marsupial. In our area it is very rare, and in a lot of SA is extinct. I've lived in places where they were common, so I know what their traces look like. They are a cute brownish-furry little omnivore, eating insects, seeds, bulbs and tubers, that sort of stuff.

So, this afternoon I was clearing up storm damage, hauling wind-blown debris out of the remains of my greenhouse roof, which had shredded under several large branches, when I chanced to look down at the vegetable patch next to the greenhouse. There, where one of my big sweet-potato plants should be, were a couple of very distinctive shallow funnel-shaped holes. And no trace of the sweet-potato plant. Gone, but for a few nibbled stems and leaves. That meant more than one bandicoot, because it was a big plant, with large tubers forming.

I guess they have moved here from the bush block across the road from my place, which is being cleared for building, and was also quite damaged by the storm. Some of the birds, lizards and snakes from over there have already turned up here, and the wallabies have always wandered across the road in dry weather to graze on my succulents, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at bandicoots!

I suppose I'll just have to plant some extra root vegetables, since they seem to enjoy sweet-potatoes.

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16942 on: January 03, 2017, 02:17:31 PM »
Róisín, I've always wondered how people manage to have a garden with wildlife roaming about. Do animals ever completely destroy your harvest, or is it possible to just plant extra things for them and harvest most? Your previous post seems to suggest so, but wouldn't bandicoots and others reproduce a lot and eat all the available food?

(I will one day have my own garden so this is an important topic to me!)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #16943 on: January 03, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »

From just the name it sounds like you have some sort of mythical creature from a Dr. Seuss book that has moved into your house and makes mischief. 
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #16944 on: January 03, 2017, 09:50:44 PM »

From just the name it sounds like you have some sort of mythical creature from a Dr. Seuss book that has moved into your house and makes mischief. 

All I've been able to think of is this:
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

« Reply #16945 on: January 03, 2017, 10:30:57 PM »
Ana: What is that?!?

Viola: yeah, the name does sound strange, doesn't it? We think it's cute too, as are the bandicoots themselves, even if we do swear at them when they discover our vegetable gardens! Fortunately they don't come inside!

One of my late cousins actually played in a Celtic/Australian dance and folk band named 'The Bandicoots'. He liked the pun.

I can't do links, but if you look bandicoots up on the internet you should find a picture. And the Australian gardener's slang term 'to bandicoot' (that is, to harvest new potatoes or similar vegetables by digging lightly around the edges of the patch before a root crop has grown to full size) obviously comes from the habits of the animal.

Sc0ut: Sometimes gardening around wildlife can be a challenge. In the case of animals like the bandicoots, or the madder hawkmoth larvae that eat my madder and cleavers, I leave them to it and just plant extra, because the creatures are rarer than the crop. Sometimes I will net or fence off the extra plants, so there will be some left for me, and I always net my coffee plants so the hawkmoths don't lay eggs on those too, because coffee is in the same plant family and those caterpillars will eat anything in the Rubiaceae, and coffee is rarer and less easy to grow.

I share my garden with a lot of wildlife, and most of it is welcome as pollinators, pest controllers, because they are beautiful and fun to watch, because they are part of the natural environment or simply because many of them have nowhere else to go. We are fortunate in that we live on the outskirts of a small town in the  middle of farmland and forest, but it is still a challenge for many of the animals, especially now that the bushland over the road is being torn up for building houses.

It's always a balancing act between getting what I want and need out of the garden and providing a safe space for the creatures. I can't turn the garden over to them entirely, because what I grow feeds myself and my household as well as several other people, and a chunk of my income derives from the garden, and I need to keep paying my mortgage. One of my sisters lives in East Gippsland, way out in the bush, and apart from half an acre where she grows food, all the rest of her land, and there's a lot of it, is designed and planted as a refuge for the local birds. But my place is tiny, only a third of an acre. So I have to plan carefully and plant densely. I try to set up 'groves', with each tree surrounded by other smaller useful plants as it would be in nature. My tomatoes and climbing beans have herbs planted around their roots, many of my fruit trees have an understorey of violets, nasturtiums, raspberries, evening primrose, or such legumes as broad beans or peas which will feed the tree roots as they grow, because I can't afford to buy much in the way of fertilisers, and I don't like the feel of what artificial fertilisers do to the

Edit: this just did something weird, and posted before I was ready. Sorry!

So, to continue: I don't like the feel of what artificial fertilisers do to the soil or the microbiota, so I use compost, aged manure, and plant a lot of legumes for the nitrogen. My soil is cruddy to start with, mostly sand and rocks. So I mulch heavily, which slowly builds the soil as the mulch is absorbed, and also protects the soil somewhat from our really extreme climate.

Lots of insects and other small creatures live in the mulch, which attracts lizards and other small predators, which then eat a lot of garden pests. The tiny lizards such as skinks and geckos eat mosquitoes, flies, moths and such, the big lizards eat slugs,snails (and the occasional small lizard, mouse or bird) and if they also take a toll of my strawberries and muntries they more than make up for that in snail control.

For years a big old female brown snake lived in the garden, but she was washed out of her den and drowned in the floods last winter, and since then several young male browns have tried to move in, so far unsuccessfully. She was fine with me, but some of the youngsters are aggressive. So I have to be a bit careful around them until they settle down. There are also a couple of Jacky lizards who are big, but very shy of me. And goannas who will take eggs, chickens and ducklings if they can get into the fowlyard, as will the magpies, ravens, crows and kookaburras, not to mention quolls and foxes, so my fowlyard has a chicken-wire roof as well as heavy wire around the base of the sides.

The birds, on the other hand, are downright cheeky. The little ones, wrens, pardalotes, honeyeaters, grey shrike-thrush and the like, are good for insect control, and the big ones, various parrots mostly - galahs, corellas, sulphur-crests and such - want the fruit, so I net my trees. In a desperate year, like after the 2015 bushfires, the big parrots will actually tear the nets off the trees to get at the fruit, but that's unusual. I generally leave a few trees unnetted so they have some fruit.

I plant a lot of flowers, both because flowers are something I sell, and to attract pollinators. At present my front yard is full of butterflies, bees both European and native, flower wasps and multitudes of beetles because the scabiosa, roses, native clematis and many of the roses are in bloom, also the lavender. The Vitex flowers are just opening, which draw native bees and flower wasps from miles around, which then go on to pollinate my tomatoes. While most flower wasps are nectar feeders, they kill a lot of pest caterpillars to feed to their babies, who need meat. The lacewings eat aphids. Mantids eat everything.

We have feral rabbits and guinea pigs, and if I snare those they go in the pot, because they are a pest, and also good to eat. The cats also kill them sometimes. A small mob of wallabies drop in regularly to eat the chicory and lettuce, and in hot dry weather to eat the succulents, and for them I just plant extra, because they belong here. We have possums, both ringtail and brushtail, which live in the roof of the fuel shed. I put up possum boxes for them, but they ignore them, and various small birds have moved into the boxes. At least the microbats consent to live in the bat boxes I put up, since natural tree hollows are in short supply, and they eat a lot of insects too.

As I said, it's a complex dance, keeping all of us housed and fed, but I'm the human with title to the land (although I suspect the land owns me rather than the other way around), so I guess it's my responsibility.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:17:18 AM by Róisín »

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #16946 on: January 03, 2017, 11:45:53 PM »
Ana: What is that?!?

Ahah, it's a video game character, named "Crash Bandicoot". I remember playing one of those games when I was younger and having no idea that a bandicoot was a real creature! It wasn't a particularly good game, if memory serves, but it sprang to mind nonetheless.

Roísín, it sounds like you plant your garden very wisely! From your description, it'd be a joy to be around, and produce lots of good things for wildlife and people alike. And I agree with you on the topic of fertilizers: I did an internship at a swamp preservation association a few years back, and my job was to figure out a rating system for the tributary streams that fed into the swamp. One major problem was the overabundance of nitrates and phosphates in the water: a result primarily of fertilizer runoff from agricultural areas. It'll help plants grow, all right, but the result on the water systems can be devastating if unchecked (unbalances the nitrogen cycle and can lead to algal blooms).
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

« Reply #16947 on: January 04, 2017, 12:32:24 AM »
I see. Very strange! Real bandicoots are much prettier.

And algal blooms can be a major problem here too. Because our soils are naturally leached, being very old, some native plants can be killed from excess fertiliser, especially phosphates, or can have their mycorrhizal associations destroyed. Fertiliser runoff in the rivers can kill a lot of native fish and invertebrates, and many algal blooms are actively poisonous, not only to water creatures but to land animals that drink the water or even get it on their skin. In hot summers we often get warnings that people shouldn't swim in the Torrens or let their kids play in the water because it is dangerous.

A few years back some bright spark at our community garden decided that the water lilies in our water gardens there needed soluble fertiliser. They not only killed the water lilies but wiped out all the dragonfly larvae and tadpoles in the ponds overnight.

Jerzy_S

« Reply #16948 on: January 04, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
I've sorted through some photos out and yes, real bandicoots are really cute. Almost as cute as bank voles!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16949 on: January 04, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »
I've sorted through some photos out and yes, real bandicoots are really cute. Almost as cute as bank voles!

They're bandi-cute!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy: