Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387193 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16905 on: December 24, 2016, 02:38:45 AM »
Forecast says Adelaide will be the hottest city in the world on Christmas day. Here in the Barossa, likely hotter. I do not want to know. Today was around 33c. Urgh!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jerzy_S

« Reply #16906 on: December 26, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »
I've got a question about Christmas in your countries.
Here, in Poland, Christmas has always had many traditions regarding food. And thus, the Christmas Eve's supper, December 25th and 26th can be easily described using these five simple points:
1) Eating a lot
2) Being full
3) Deciding not to eat anymore
4)"Oooh! Is it my favourite Christmas dish that I'm seeing?"
5)Repeat the process

Can any other country relate?

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #16907 on: December 26, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »
Here, in Poland, Christmas has always had many traditions regarding food. And thus, the Christmas Eve's supper, December 25th and 26th can be easily described using these five simple points:
1) Eating a lot
2) Being full
5)Repeat the process

I can confirm that the algorithm also applies to Hungary.
Also, merry Christmas to all the forum people! :)
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16908 on: December 26, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »
1) Eating a lot
2) Being full
5)Repeat the process

Sounds about right for the US, too. I'm stuffed from all the food we eat... until the Christmas cookies come out. Then I happily munch on another 5 pieces of biscotti or something ;D
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Róisín

« Reply #16909 on: December 26, 2016, 07:00:39 PM »
Jerzy, yes, it's the same in Australia, except different foods. Christmas here usually comes with a heat wave, so food is often light (salads, icecream cake, prawns, oysters, cold meats, pavlova). We still eat a lot of it. It's also the season for cherries and berries, so we eat a lot of those too, as well as Christmas cake and shortbread. We may have a barbecue, either at home or on the beach, and Santa turns up in boardshorts and thong sandals, because otherwise he'd die of heatstroke in heavy robes. I have seen Santa arrive on a surfboard in Sydney, but out here in the bush it's more traditionally in the back of a ute, or in small towns like mine Santa arrives on the back of the local firetruck during the town street parade.

We also go in for light displays, though those are not my favourite thing - I like my summer nights quiet and full of wildlife, which is scared off by all the flashies and noise, and the displays can be quite loud and vulgar sometimes. Though one near my house has a softly glowing tree and waterfalls of silver stars which are quite pretty. Another house has a sweet nativity scene set up in their front garden, outlined in tiny lights. But then there is the nearby two-storey house which has a much-larger-than-life roof decoration of Santa's sleigh drawn by six kangaroos, which stretches the length of the roof and has the lights cycling so that the figures look animated - Santa waves, the roos jump, the sleigh goes up and down. And this whole mess is accompanied by a loud recording of vulgar American-style 'carols' - Rudolph and the like. Urgh. Fortunately his house is across the road from the showground, so only his either-side neighbours have to suffer the full effect. I'm glad I live several streets away on the edge of town!

I'm very glad I don't live in Lobethal, a town in my region which is world-famous for its Christmas lightshows, and attracts tourists  from across the planet. I can't do links, but if you google 'Lobethal Lights' you might find it interesting.

VibratingText

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #16910 on: December 26, 2016, 08:27:04 PM »
On vacation in Colorado. Day one the air pressure (specifically the lack thereof) was killing me, but I got used to it. Christmas loot consisted of Cards Against Humanity, habanero popcorn, and a fake leather jacket among other things. Dinner was simple Brunswick stew since half the people weren't there. Didn't get Volume 1 but there's still Second Christmas and/or buying it myself.

Brutally cold counting windchill up here at 9,300 feet (~2800 meters). Dipped into the negatives on Christmas without it, bottoming out at -1℉ (-18℃) without a windchill.
:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Native: :usa:
Tolerable: :germany:
Still Learning: :italy:
n00b at: :russia: :norway: :japan:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16911 on: December 26, 2016, 09:00:37 PM »
1) Eating a lot
2) Being full
5)Repeat the process

Yes. Same in Canada.

At my grandmother's place it is not so much a Christmas meal, but more like a Christmas table. Meatpies, meatball and pork stews, soups, salads, various patées, cheeses, the turkey (she made 2), and pecan and sugar pie and cakes and cupcakes, chocolates and sugar fudge for desert.

I went through this twice as I visited both side of the families. I now have leftovers for until new years.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Róisín

« Reply #16912 on: December 26, 2016, 09:06:25 PM »
That sounds lovely!

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16913 on: December 26, 2016, 09:09:18 PM »
It was.

I am now weighting at least 5 more pounds than before, but it was good.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16914 on: December 27, 2016, 10:23:20 AM »
I need more sleep
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

« Reply #16915 on: December 27, 2016, 11:42:16 AM »
You and I both! I

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16916 on: December 27, 2016, 02:29:06 PM »
Damn. Carrie Fisher and Richard Adams in the same day.

RIP.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16917 on: December 27, 2016, 03:00:53 PM »
Damn. Carrie Fisher and Richard Adams in the same day.

RIP.

2016?! 2016!! What??

(And my ears hurt from watching Rogue One. Loved the movie, but wow the sound was - well - next time I'll consider earplugs because aaaa loudloudloud! (But! I admit to being one of those who take great pleasure in tearing into details afterwards and there were delightfully many of them. Vacuum will not give you a wind to flutter your cape, to name just a small one :D)

RIP, Carrie Fisher.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:57:28 PM by Unlos »

Róisín

« Reply #16918 on: December 27, 2016, 04:35:15 PM »
Lot of people do seem to be noping out ahead of 2017.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #16919 on: December 28, 2016, 06:28:09 PM »
This isn't really extreme enough to go in the Comfort Corner, but why will so many companies not let you change policies or cancel online?!? Things would be so much easier and there would be so many fewer misunderstandings if I could just type stuff out, but no, it has to be done over the phone. I have one dumb phone (which doesn't work, because I'm outside the U.S.). I have one smartphone (which won't make international calls, because I'm using a Chinese SIM card). And I have Skype, which I just now found out doesn't like my microphone for whatever reason; I just ended up making the same call four times and did a good impression of Sigrun leaning in close to the computer and SHOUTING in its general direction because that was the only way I could make myself heard. But no, business HAS to be done OVER THE PHONE.

WHY.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18: