Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2437834 times)

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16665 on: November 04, 2016, 09:43:54 AM »
I think Gwenno said something about starting [the secret santa] up when its closer to Christmas. So I suspect we'll have that started around mid-end of the month?
Umm... I wonder if we'll have an SSSS Advent Calendar and/or forum Secret Santa this year...

Are we in need of bold volunteers to organize these?

I was actually planning on setting up both at the start of the month but my computer charger broke (and my poor old computer doesn't work when not plugged in). Seeing as I really didn't want to produce all that text and cross referencing stuff on my phone I figured I'd wait a few more days until a new charger had been delivered :P

The advent calendar signups have been set up and I'll go ahead and create a secret santa thread now (maybe tomorrow if it takes too long, it's nearly bedtime for me here >"< ). It's good to see there's so much interest in this ^_^

I've lived there, a few times, as did my older brother. The cities always felt awful, barring Seattle, bits of San Francisco and bits of Boston, and the bush usually felt okay. But to me, America always had this sensation of something boiling underneath, ready to burst out and tear things apart. Not just the human part of the cities either - I always had this sense that the land underneath was about to pick itself up, have a good shake and knock off all the stuff that was crawling on it.

Los Angeles and bits of Chicago just made my skin creep, as did New York. I think I'd settle for our wild extreme weather and  venomous wildlife any day. Europe seems more welcoming to people, Australia is too old and tired to really care, for the most part, though parts of the land here are really hostile and will kill you if they can, and other parts are oddly welcoming - often areas quite close together, strangely. But I doubt I could live in America again, except maybe the Pacific North-West, or around Big Sur, or just about anywhere in the desert.

Well technically, the US is sitting atop of one of the most badass volcanic eruptions that could potentially happen based on current understanding of threat levels posed by tectonic activity, so your feeling of the land just waiting to explode isn't far off :P (My friends and I created a climate model of the potential outcomes of Yellowstone exploding for a uni project one time, and it was absolutely fascinating!). I agree that Seattle and Washington State are pretty lovely though, especially the Hoh rainforest. I have family in that area and I always felt that if I had to end up in a city, that wouldn't bee too bad of a choice  ^-^
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #16666 on: November 04, 2016, 10:09:39 AM »
I was actually planning on setting up both at the start of the month but my computer charger broke (and my poor old computer doesn't work when not plugged in). Seeing as I really didn't want to produce all that text and cross referencing stuff on my phone I figured I'd wait a few more days until a new charger had been delivered :P

The advent calendar signups have been set up and I'll go ahead and create a secret santa thread now (maybe tomorrow if it takes too long, it's nearly bedtime for me here >"< ). It's good to see there's so much interest in this ^_^

Hooray! :sparkle: You're awesome!
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16667 on: November 04, 2016, 10:10:13 AM »
Heh. And as a native New Yorker, what you feel as boiling I feel as excitement and energy.  We'll take anyone on and they'll become part of the huge and tasty stew that is NYC.  It's a place where you can get Korean/Mexican fusion from a food truck and eat it while listening to some guy play didgeridoo on  a street corner at the same time as people walk by speaking 5 different languages in as many minutes, a city where a Sherpa speaks Yiddish and dishes out slices of smoked fish, a city where you can sit down in a restaurant 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and get a full meal.  It's not for everyone, to be sure, but it's an amazing place.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #16668 on: November 04, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »
AHH thanks for setting up the advent calendar, Gwenno.
Sucks about your computer, though. What a pain. D:
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #16669 on: November 04, 2016, 01:12:17 PM »
(My friends and I created a climate model of the potential outcomes of Yellowstone exploding for a uni project one time, and it was absolutely fascinating!)

Everything east of the divide is screwed right?

Anyway I'd be more concerned of Mt. Rainier than Yellowstone (unless something changes). Also did you hear about the weirdness that's been found regarding Mount Saint Helens recently?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16670 on: November 04, 2016, 01:33:48 PM »
Solokov, what's with Mt St Helens this time?

Gwenno, that's interesting. Not really surprised! And I joined for the advent calendar.

Urbicande, that's the part of both New York and San Francisco that I really liked - the effortless cosmopolitan thing! The rest of it, not so much. And no insult meant to your city, I know you love it.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #16671 on: November 04, 2016, 01:53:58 PM »
Mostly just weirdness regarding where its magma chamber is located. During the latest round of studies using shock sensors and explosives (YAY!) they got an internal view of the mountain they found a chunk of solid (and cold) serpentine rock where they expected to find hot magma.

Also some weird an interesting geology on the east side of the mountain, but that was expected due to they way the eruption happened anyway.

http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13242

I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16672 on: November 04, 2016, 02:03:16 PM »
Mostly just weirdness regarding where its magma chamber is located. During the latest round of studies using shock sensors and explosives (YAY!) they got an internal view of the mountain they found a chunk of solid (and cold) serpentine rock where they expected to find hot magma.

Also some weird an interesting geology on the east side of the mountain, but that was expected due to they way the eruption happened anyway.

http://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13242

Hopefully it won't blow up at any time soon.  I'm in Jackson, WY, right now and I'd be so screwed.

Urbicande, that's the part of both New York and San Francisco that I really liked - the effortless cosmopolitan thing! The rest of it, not so much. And no insult meant to your city, I know you love it.

Best city in the world!  (At least in my obviously objective opinion)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16673 on: November 05, 2016, 10:10:54 AM »
I don't think I could live in a city with a population higher than most canadian provinces.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #16674 on: November 05, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »
I don't think I could live in a city with a population higher than most canadian provinces.

Same.
The idea actually kind of creeps me out a little. : D Way too many people in one place!
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #16675 on: November 05, 2016, 03:20:02 PM »
Well technically, the US is sitting atop of one of the most badass volcanic eruptions that could potentially happen based on current understanding of threat levels posed by tectonic activity, so your feeling of the land just waiting to explode isn't far off :P
Ah, if only it were just one, but to give craterit where craterit is due, it is a rather worldwide phenomenon:

And the magma chamber that stretches from the Vulkaneifel half through our nation to Hessia's Vogelsberg isn't even on the map ... :o
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16676 on: November 05, 2016, 04:22:08 PM »
Can't wait for that disaster movie.

VOLCANO

followed by it's hot sequel

VOLCANOES
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #16677 on: November 05, 2016, 05:28:06 PM »
Can't wait for that disaster movie.

VOLCANO

followed by it's hot sequel

VOLCANOES
You already got 2012
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #16678 on: November 05, 2016, 05:45:51 PM »
You already got 2012
Speaking of numbers ... Haiz, have you seen this topic's current page count?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #16679 on: November 07, 2016, 12:02:06 PM »
I knew that it would happen someday. I have more posts than Vi.
*Goes back to her NaNo, trying to pretend that she has a life. Kind of life*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: