Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387801 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16440 on: September 27, 2016, 10:39:26 PM »
Mersey: Rare Fruit Society is a volunteer organisation that preserves and disseminates endangered or not commonly grown fruiting plants and other food plants. You have them in America too, I believe. We also have Seed Savers, who archive and disseminate seeds in general, and the Hills Herbalists, who do likewise with medicinal plants, dye plants and the like. I'm pretty active in all of these.

And the storm just hit here, with spectacular lightning/thunder/deluge. I'm off for a bit!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #16441 on: September 28, 2016, 03:54:33 AM »
And the storm just hit here, with spectacular lightning/thunder/deluge. I'm off for a bit!

And here's a look at the Adelaide weather radar...

EEP!  O_O

Also most of South Australia seems to have lost power.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:59:08 AM by Purple Wyrm »
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16442 on: September 28, 2016, 06:17:47 AM »
Hello all!

Checking in to let you know we're still alive, if a little battered! Star and I were doing the volunteer stuff we do, in separate towns, this morning when the storm rolled in with truly spectacular thunder-and-lightning effects and a huge downpour, several hours earlier than expected. So the stuff we were doing closed down early, he picked me up and we headed out in search of extra firewood, because I had a really bad feeling about tonight. Of course every woodyard in the hills was picked clean, the more so since most of their suppliers are still flooded in from our last lot of weather.

Finally tracked down some wood, got a bootload and went in search of a shop to stock up on milk etc.. Rolled into the car park a bit before 4pm, just as the next band of storms hit and all the lights and power went out. Still managed to get some UHT milk, and have enough of other provisions to see us through a week or so without refrigeration, before I even have to hit the dried stuff in the pantry, so we are fine for supplies even if we are flooded in, which at present seems quite likely, given that the soil is still saturated from the last lot of storms.

We had a rather alarming drive back, some uneasy moments with flooded roads, but we are safely home and both okay. We have tank water if the mains get too fouled up, and firewood for a couple of weeks.

Power is out for the whole state. News broadcasts say it *should* be back by 3am, but I'm not holding my breath! Mobile towers are apparently also running low on reserve power, so internet may go off completely, letting you know now. We should be fine!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #16443 on: September 28, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »
Not sure when you'll be able to read this, but glad to hear you're both OK Róisín!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #16444 on: September 28, 2016, 07:00:23 AM »
I second Purple Wyrm, it's good to have news from you Róisín. I'm sure you'll do, but take care of you :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #16445 on: September 28, 2016, 07:14:45 AM »
 O_O
Yikes, Róisín, that sounds like quite an ordeal. Glad you're okay, though! < 3
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16446 on: September 28, 2016, 09:18:47 AM »
Hello all!

Checking in to let you know we're still alive, if a little battered! Star and I were doing the volunteer stuff we do, in separate towns, this morning when the storm rolled in with truly spectacular thunder-and-lightning effects and a huge downpour, several hours earlier than expected. So the stuff we were doing closed down early, he picked me up and we headed out in search of extra firewood, because I had a really bad feeling about tonight. Of course every woodyard in the hills was picked clean, the more so since most of their suppliers are still flooded in from our last lot of weather.

Finally tracked down some wood, got a bootload and went in search of a shop to stock up on milk etc.. Rolled into the car park a bit before 4pm, just as the next band of storms hit and all the lights and power went out. Still managed to get some UHT milk, and have enough of other provisions to see us through a week or so without refrigeration, before I even have to hit the dried stuff in the pantry, so we are fine for supplies even if we are flooded in, which at present seems quite likely, given that the soil is still saturated from the last lot of storms.

We had a rather alarming drive back, some uneasy moments with flooded roads, but we are safely home and both okay. We have tank water if the mains get too fouled up, and firewood for a couple of weeks.

Power is out for the whole state. News broadcasts say it *should* be back by 3am, but I'm not holding my breath! Mobile towers are apparently also running low on reserve power, so internet may go off completely, letting you know now. We should be fine!

Alive is good!  We like our Róisín alive, thankyouverymuch.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16447 on: September 28, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »
Hello all!

Good to hear that you're still doing ok! I do hope it continues to be ok for you. Good luck!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Mersey

• Tumblr
  • Artist and Archivist in the Deepest South
« Reply #16448 on: September 28, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »
Hello all!

What an adventure! Stay safe and good to hear you're alright. Very prepared too I'm impressed *^*
fluent in

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #16449 on: September 28, 2016, 03:47:05 PM »
http://imgur.com/gallery/UordH A thread of photos of various traditional "pagan" costumes used across Europe. It's really surprising, because most of those look like what you would expect in the native cultures of America or Africa, but they're 100% European.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #16450 on: September 28, 2016, 04:41:55 PM »
http://imgur.com/gallery/UordH A thread of photos of various traditional "pagan" costumes used across Europe. It's really surprising, because most of those look like what you would expect in the native cultures of America or Africa, but they're 100% European.
I saw them a few month ago and felt like "Okay, tell me more about all of that !"
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Athena

« Reply #16451 on: September 28, 2016, 04:43:02 PM »

I vaguely recall seeing that post before! Very cool, would definitely like to read up on more background on those.

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Mersey

• Tumblr
  • Artist and Archivist in the Deepest South
« Reply #16452 on: September 28, 2016, 06:26:20 PM »

Reminds me a little of the Ride of the Kings festival in the Czech Republic, in Vlcnov -> supposedly one of the oldest running processions in Europe. Everyone is bedecked in paper flowers and lace and the "king" (who's usually a 10 year old from the town) is decorated to the point where he can't be seen. Also there's a bunch of people on horses acting as the "king's riders" demanding money for the king and telling jokes. All the cash given is usually pooled for some community project to help the town. It's really fun and if you're ever in CZ in the summer, go see it!
http://www.worldfpa.org/wp-content/gallery/ride-of-the-kings-in-kunovice-czech-republic/hpa8-ride-of-the-kings-in-kunovice-czech-republic-5.jpg
fluent in

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16453 on: September 28, 2016, 07:24:49 PM »
Apropos of nothing, according to my Twitter feed, today was National Drink Beer Day
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Athena

« Reply #16454 on: September 28, 2016, 08:07:24 PM »