Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411060 times)

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16215 on: August 15, 2016, 08:50:14 AM »
It's funny how those sneak up unexpectedly. :Va

Except when you really, really need a day off, but the public holiday falls on a Saturday...
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #16216 on: August 15, 2016, 09:09:26 AM »
Except when you really, really need a day off, but the public holiday falls on a Saturday...
In may, two of them were on Sunday here.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #16217 on: August 15, 2016, 09:36:01 AM »
In may, two of them were on Sunday here.

In some countries they give a substitute day when public holiday falls on weekend. But not here.
(this Saturday is the Big National Holiday with the fireworks and stuff)
*grumbles*

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #16218 on: August 15, 2016, 10:04:36 AM »
On a completely different note, I'm apparently incapable of watching men's sports without reading some sort of innuendo into the commentary. O_o

Intentional or not there is a lot of innuendo in sports commentary.

In some countries they give a substitute day when public holiday falls on weekend. But not here.
*grumbles*

Mmmmmmmmm.... fireworks, glorious fireworks.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16219 on: August 15, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »
*grumbles*

It scares the trolls.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #16220 on: August 15, 2016, 09:48:30 PM »
*grumbles*

It's odd to me that your public holidays fall on different days of the week, because almost all of ours fall on the same weekday but different dates? So like Memorial Day is always the last Monday of May, Thanksgiving is the fourth Thursday of November, etc. (Independence Day is the one big exception that I can think of among public holidays, it's always on July 4th.)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #16221 on: August 16, 2016, 01:48:52 AM »
It's odd to me that your public holidays fall on different days of the week, because almost all of ours fall on the same weekday but different dates? So like Memorial Day is always the last Monday of May, Thanksgiving is the fourth Thursday of November, etc. (Independence Day is the one big exception that I can think of among public holidays, it's always on July 4th.)

Hmmm... except for Easter and Pentecost, all of our holidays - regardles whether they have religious or historic backgrounds - are tied to specific dates.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #16222 on: August 16, 2016, 02:48:52 AM »

I do not now recall when this pattern was introduced, but originally all our holidays were on specific dates. That inevitably meant that in some years, one or more holidays would fall on a weekend, and no additional day off from work or school occurred. (I recall great disappointment when that happened.) It was decided that this was undesirable, so the basic pattern of placing a holiday on the Monday nearest to the original date was implemented. Thus the current system.
I have always assumed that July 4th was made an exception because it falls in the Summer, when school is not in session anyway; besides, it was most special.

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #16223 on: August 16, 2016, 08:43:23 AM »

In Australia we have a mix. Some are weekday based (like the first Monday in a month) while others are on specific dates (such as Australia Day and ANZAC Day). If one of those falls on a Saturday we get the Friday off, and if it falls on a Sunday we get the Monday off.

Easter often falls near ANZAC Day, and if the dates line up right you can theoretically get five days off in a row! :D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16224 on: August 16, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »
Hmm in Iceland we don't get an extra day off if a public holiday is on a weekend.  :(
Pretentious? Moi?

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #16225 on: August 18, 2016, 10:12:38 AM »
Whenever I'm in another country where I'm crap at the language and all of the ads on my laptop like on youtube and whatnot are in that language and I can't really understand what they're saying it makes me realize how bizarre advertisements are out of context. Anyway sometimes when these ads are happening I make up dialogue and little stories to go along with them to replace the actual dialogue that I can't understand  :V
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:15:08 AM by Juniper »

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #16226 on: August 18, 2016, 07:09:24 PM »
Today is World Orangutan day, and to celebrate Adelaide Zoo has released a single played by one of their orangutans

Adelaide Zoo's Sumatran orangutan Kluet releases jazz tune Give me a Klue

You can purchase it on iTunes if you like  :)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16227 on: August 18, 2016, 08:22:12 PM »
Today is World Orangutan day, and to celebrate Adelaide Zoo has released a single played by one of their orangutans

Adelaide Zoo's Sumatran orangutan Kluet releases jazz tune Give me a Klue

You can purchase it on iTunes if you like  :)

Better than some experimental music that I have heard at university.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:41:34 PM by Vafhudr »
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16228 on: August 18, 2016, 08:42:43 PM »
That's great! I've heard worse in jazz clubs, yeah!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #16229 on: August 19, 2016, 12:09:58 AM »
Not too shabby at all - and this is from one who is not usually a great jazz fan.
The end, on a rising note, is like an invitation to continue the musical thought. I'll have to introduce this one to my husband, he hasn't done any composing for a while.