Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387519 times)

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1890 on: November 28, 2014, 05:33:18 PM »
It sounds like a really weird combination of favourite series, but if it's already caught us both, maybe there's some hidden cause for it? (As hard as I'm trying to, I can't think of any similarities...)

@mithrysc: I was Irohning in "" because I used it as an excuse to watch Tv. If anyone asks, you're busy with important adult tasks. And why not watch Tv while doing it?  :P I think I managed about two shirts and a dress in a one-hour session.  ;D
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1891 on: November 28, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
I don't think my school allows minors (or maybe not just for undergrad) and I know I wouldn't be able to handle the coursework, but I would love to minor in art history. Then I could have some training in something I could get a job from. (*cartooning major problems*)
Ah I'm so envious of your major! ;____; we don't have that course here, or animation, (as far as I've looked) the closest I could get was VisComms because it's pretty open to what medium/media you use. So... It's... *sniff* it's alright...but it's not the saaaaaame..
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1892 on: November 28, 2014, 08:26:10 PM »
Ah I'm so envious of your major! ;____; we don't have that course here, or animation, (as far as I've looked) the closest I could get was VisComms because it's pretty open to what medium/media you use. So... It's... *sniff* it's alright...but it's not the saaaaaame..
Ooooohh, my gosh I would love to know how to animate.  That's my unfulfillable dream job.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1893 on: November 28, 2014, 09:36:30 PM »
Ooooohh, my gosh I would love to know how to animate.  That's my unfulfillable dream job.
Yup. Mine too ;___; it's so fun, I don't even care if it's repetitive and time-consuming for ages, it's kinda relaxing.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1894 on: November 28, 2014, 10:15:24 PM »
Yup. Mine too ;___; it's so fun, I don't even care if it's repetitive and time-consuming for ages, it's kinda relaxing.
I just wish I had started drawing at a younger age.  *sigh*
There's so many possibilities with that kind of thing!
Feel free to PM.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #1895 on: November 28, 2014, 10:16:16 PM »

Oddly enough, that's the one artistic job I've never felt attracted to. I'd love to see my work animated, but I would never want to animate. It's why I jumped feet first into the concept artist bandwagon as soon as I discovered what it was.

So yeah. Three artistic professions that I'd like to do: webtoons, concept art, and illustration.

Also, the art options here ... will not be spoken of. I've had to be 100% self-taught for a good reason.
Am notified of private messages via email.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1896 on: November 28, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »
It doesn't really matter what age you start, as long as you start :P you can only draw if you draw XP like a second language, you can get rusty with disuse ;__;
I haven't properly drawn anything for a couple of years, which I hope to remedy this holiday! OoO

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #1897 on: November 28, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »

I used to bee good/decent at drawing when I was much younger, but i haven't drawn anything (if some quick plans and sketches doesn't count) at all for like 4 years.
I used to draw a lot during pre-highschool school levels and last proper drawing i made during high school.
The drawings i made were always complex and detailed cities and views.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1898 on: November 28, 2014, 10:31:10 PM »
Nice! Hey, seems like you carried over the detail skills into your current work! :)

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1899 on: November 28, 2014, 10:51:57 PM »
I used to bee good/decent at drawing when I was much younger, but i haven't drawn anything (if some quick plans and sketches doesn't count) at all for like 4 years.
I used to draw a lot during pre-highschool school levels and last proper drawing i made during high school.
The only thing I've ever really practiced is people, and people shapes with poses and anatomy.  I left a couple of my garbagy sketches in the art museum, here.  You should load up some of your cities, if you still have copies!  Also, if you've worked on your game's art, Owl is right, it shows.
Feel free to PM.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1900 on: November 28, 2014, 10:57:58 PM »
It doesn't really matter what age you start, as long as you start :P

This, so much. To paraphrase somebody from the internet (Seth Godin?), the best time to start was last year, but the second best time to start is now.

So yeah. Three artistic professions that I'd like to do: webtoons, concept art, and illustration.

Yes. Yes. Yes. That is all, because I really should be asleep now.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #1901 on: November 28, 2014, 11:01:45 PM »
The only thing I've ever really practiced is people, and people shapes with poses and anatomy.  I left a couple of my garbagy sketches in the art museum, here.  You should load up some of your cities, if you still have copies!  Also, if you've worked on your game's art, Owl is right, it shows.
Some of them might be lying somewhere in the attic and some are forever lost.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1902 on: November 28, 2014, 11:18:54 PM »

There was a major at another school I got into that was called "communication arts" that included all of those. I would've gone there had it not been in my hometown. Anyways, I found out that comics were my true calling.

People are suppposedly the "essential" thing to draw. Like you won't be able to draw anything else well if you don't understand human anatomy. All we do in my drawing class is either drawing from a model or perspective drawing.
I always tell people that if they want to be an artist that they can be an artist. I think it's just that some people have an innate ability to understand artistic concepts or stuff. I mean, I think you can learn how to draw or design just like you can learn any other skill. Then again, I have no evidence behind this theory.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #1903 on: November 29, 2014, 01:03:15 AM »
There was a major at another school I got into that was called "communication arts" that included all of those. I would've gone there had it not been in my hometown. Anyways, I found out that comics were my true calling.
People are suppposedly the "essential" thing to draw. Like you won't be able to draw anything else well if you don't understand human anatomy. All we do in my drawing class is either drawing from a model or perspective drawing.
I always tell people that if they want to be an artist that they can be an artist. I think it's just that some people have an innate ability to understand artistic concepts or stuff. I mean, I think you can learn how to draw or design just like you can learn any other skill. Then again, I have no evidence behind this theory.

Ooooh, if I could find a school in NL that did that with a good reputation, I'd seriously deliberate switching from IT to art.

Eish, I'm inclined to disagree severely with that. If you draw people your whole life, you won't be able to draw a fish. Or a horse. Or a desk. Or even a tree. Sure, you'll learn the basic structure of all mammal anatomy, and the very basic anatomical structure of all beings, but you completely lack the knowledge of different surface textures, different ways of movement, different ways of expression, different ways of reflecting light and interaction with the rest of the world, and different growing patterns. I would never recommend someone who's serious about art to only ever draw one type of subject. The best way to grow is to study a large variety. It keeps you from getting bored, too. And the way you know you know your subject very well is when you can draw it from any angle whatsoever without needing any sort of reference.

(And that above paragraph is why I didn't enroll in an art school. Basically the only part of the art world that I've found that shares that particular artistic view is the concept art world *sighs* It's also the reason why I have a dream to one day be able to go to FZD School of Design.)

But the rest, that I agree with. You are an artist if you think you are, and no one lacks the ability or right to be one, no matter the age or situation in life. And yes, some people do learn artistic elements more quickly than others, in the same way some people learn mathematics more quickly than others. But I'd still say that what counts the most is the amount of hours you've put into it.
Am notified of private messages via email.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1904 on: November 29, 2014, 05:41:44 AM »
I'm able to draw vegetable and furniture at a decent level, they are geometric, they have no emotions and often they are really similar. For me similiarities in people's faces are really hard to recognize. I've made some progress on hands and feet during the last years.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information