Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2566842 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16065 on: July 23, 2016, 10:06:18 AM »
Which includes the initially reported two additional perpretrators, which eyewitnesses had reported as "driving away at high speed" (that one might even still be correct) and "carrying rifles", and which were later found, questioned, and fully cleared by the police.

It also includes various reports of additional incidents/shootings all over the city, apparently even one reported by a local newspaper to have taken place near their offices and have lead to their evacuation. Bleh.

Police is not entirely sold on "no connection to islamism/ISIS", though. Remember that they didn't find such connections with the guy in Nice until about two days after, either.

yeah, that's right.

A friend of mine who was lead to a shoping centre as a place of refuge told one rather funny impression. She was at one of the places where situation first seemed to have another shooting going on. When the crowd entered the store and all people inside where lead to the staff rooms a lady complained "wait, I was about to try out these lipsticks, I really want to finish that now!".

Interesting about her (the friend not the lady): she had lived in egypt very close to the arabic revolution (about 200m air distance), in afghanistan along with troup staff  and is working on peace projects in south america - all of which happen to be places connected to civil-war like circumstances. I am happy she always keeps her humor and provides us with one of these off topic stories.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #16066 on: July 24, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
Weekend in Belgium involves french fries. Okay, it was really good, but please, feed me with vegetables now ^^
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #16067 on: July 24, 2016, 02:59:08 PM »
Weekend in Belgium involves french fries. Okay, it was really good, but please, feed me with vegetables now ^^

I hope you can get all of the delicious fresh veggies and soon n_n

I feel like there's been a lot of drama surrounding the olympics the past few times it's happened, and Fifa too. Is it always this way and I'm just now noticing or . . ?

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #16068 on: July 25, 2016, 03:34:01 AM »
Good thing I don't mind spiders because I just realized one was walking on my laptop like oh don't mind me I'm just going from A to Æ here (I foiled its plans by taking it outside). Besides that this year is either really good for spiders or they just love me in particular because I seem to have them climbing on me all the time. I swear you guys I'm not a good base structure for nets, neither am I meal-size for you. Shoo.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #16069 on: July 25, 2016, 03:36:56 AM »
But they take away all the nasty flies!
Well in the new flat I turned into a great spider hunter since there really is no need for them lacking a good bit of nature.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #16070 on: July 25, 2016, 03:52:09 AM »
But they take away all the nasty flies!
Well in the new flat I turned into a great spider hunter since there really is no need for them lacking a good bit of nature.

We don't have any flie- WAIT. Maybe there's a correlation... buuuut in any case I think fresh air is good for spiders.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16071 on: July 25, 2016, 05:24:41 AM »
So it is! I put mine outside if they are bothering husband, or are venomous. If they are venomous and aggressive I may squash them, but if they are those things, and also rare, I will at least try to move them outside - say if it is a mouse spider or trapdoor.

But I'm always a bit torn about moving them, since flies and mosquitoes are a problem here.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #16072 on: July 25, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »
Good thing I don't mind spiders because I just realized one was walking on my laptop like oh don't mind me I'm just going from A to Æ here (I foiled its plans by taking it outside). Besides that this year is either really good for spiders or they just love me in particular because I seem to have them climbing on me all the time. I swear you guys I'm not a good base structure for nets, neither am I meal-size for you. Shoo.

I do indeed hope you are not a spider-magnet. >3>
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #16073 on: July 25, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »

Usually when I see spiders in my apartment as long as they're small enough I let them be, but if they're big enough that they creep me out yeah I get a cup or something and try to catch them and let them go back outside. Except yesterday while standing in the living room looking out the doorwall that leads to the balcony I noticed that one of the sliding glass doors was COVERED in webbing and spider egg nest things, like those little round balls of webbing that spiders have their eggs in. I mean, I didn't care too much because I'm only in this apartment for about another week and baby spiders aren't that bad but I thought it would be courteous to say something to my roommate because he hates spiders and he's going to be living here for another year so he got a hockey stick and started trying to take them down with that but apparently he got webbing in his hair, freaked out a little, then put a hat on to finish the job. I feel kinda bad saying this but it was pretty fun to watch.   

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #16074 on: July 25, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »
So it is! I put mine outside if they are bothering husband, or are venomous. If they are venomous and aggressive I may squash them, but if they are those things, and also rare, I will at least try to move them outside - say if it is a mouse spider or trapdoor.

But I'm always a bit torn about moving them, since flies and mosquitoes are a problem here.

Hehehehe we do not have any venomous ones. But I really believe that they love to stay outside when I release them on the balcony (frankly I am sure they trick me by going back into the bathroom window)

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #16075 on: July 25, 2016, 06:24:46 PM »
This morning in the train, a maybe four years old boy repeated to his mother "I don't like this lady. I wouldn't like to go with this lady. I don't like her." Errr... O_o It seems some persons can find me... well...
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16076 on: July 25, 2016, 08:54:24 PM »
Mélusine, how odd! Maybe he could see your inner waterspirit or something.

Kjeks, are you saying where you live has no venomous spiders at all? That would be so strange!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16077 on: July 25, 2016, 09:15:43 PM »
Kjeks, are you saying where you live has no venomous spiders at all? That would be so strange!

That would be strange (though I wouldn't complain!). Even where I live, we have the occasional black widow.

Having my room essentially in the attic, I get a lot of arthropodal visitors. Usually they're harmless enough, but I do put spiders outside if I find any near my bed, as I've had a longstanding irrational fear of spiders crawling on me while I sleep.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16078 on: July 25, 2016, 10:56:04 PM »
Spiders don't really bother me unless they are crawling on me, venomous (which is to say black widow or brown recluse, since I for a fact know they are in our crawlspace under the house), or those wolf spiders that get to be 2-3 inches across. Those freak me out due to sheer size.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #16079 on: July 25, 2016, 11:10:24 PM »
There are very few species of venomous spiders in Europe, and the most dangerous, the Mediterranean black widow, is, as its name clues, confined to the southern regions. So are the european recluse spiders (which are far less dangerous than their American or Australian counterparts anyway). Some other venomous spiders have a more cosmopolite distribution, but they're often not agressive and their bite only rarely require medical attention (generally in case of allergy or if it becomes affected).

So yeah, "spider bite" is virtually a non-concern in northern Europe (like, it doesn't *never* happen that someone needs to go to the hospital for a spider bite, but it's so rare as to be considered anecdotical).
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro: