Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410878 times)

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1816 on: November 27, 2014, 05:06:37 AM »
black friday is a huge sale that takes place in the united states that takes place the day after u.s. thanksgiving (the fourth thursday of november). the idea, i think, is that you get your christmas shopping done on that day.

it's also recently started to migrate north to canada, which is very silly considering our thanksgiving is way back in the middle of october, so it's just a random day with huge sales.
Principal mouthnoises: :spain: :uk: :norway:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1817 on: November 27, 2014, 05:35:43 AM »
In time maybe thanksgiving will become a ritual for gorging on food so that one might fight better in the great brawl for loot. Kind of like a Norwegian hunter brigade's pre-hunt feast, gotta have a full stomach in order to fight trolls.

After reading the top comments on today's page I once more am intrigued by the mention of a Japanese "tentacle monster". What is this mythical beast and where can I find one? I promise not to hurt it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 05:40:21 AM by Fimbulvarg »

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #1818 on: November 27, 2014, 05:57:57 AM »
After reading the top comments on today's page I once more am intrigued by the mention of a Japanese "tentacle monster". What is this mythical beast and where can I find one? I promise not to hurt it.

*cough*

I do not think you want to find one. If you want some idea, (white text here)it, not always, but mainly pops up in Japanese erotica.

On a side note, man is that chapter cover beautiful. That perspective. Those colours. That Emil. That Lalli. That awesomeness of a Sigrun. Those books. But mainly that perspective. Nnng.
Am notified of private messages via email.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1819 on: November 27, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »

On a side note, man is that chapter cover beautiful. That perspective. Those colours. That Emil. That Lalli. That awesomeness of a Sigrun. Those books. But mainly that perspective. Nnng.
It really is. JoB will finally see people looting books and "Looter of the lost library" might get a title worth to earn.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1820 on: November 27, 2014, 09:36:34 AM »
I just discovered about the existence of this Black Friday thing.

I'm glad there is no such thing in Italy.

Also, today our PE teacher gave us self-defence lessons. I'm apparently very good at falling in the right way, rolling, and getting up on my feet from several positions I may find myself in. The first time everyone was wriggling on the ground, trying to get on their feet without using their hands and keeping their ankles crossed, while I got up in one movement. Everyone started staring at me like I was some kind of acrobat.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:40:35 AM by Nimphy »
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1821 on: November 27, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »
Well, at every holiday which is located more than one day away from the weekend, people drive nuts in food stores. This mostly concerns dicount supermarkets as far as I know and I am quite sure, that what I am describing as far, far away from what's happening on Black Fridays. If think this backwards, I am very sure, that my patience for people going just a little crazy before Holidays here is on such a low level, that I would not be able to sruvive any shopping attempt during Black Fridays. If the stories told are to be considered only half true.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1822 on: November 27, 2014, 09:47:42 AM »
Also, today our PE teacher gave us self-defence lessons. I'm apparently very good at falling in the right way, rolling, and getting up on my feet from several positions I may find myself in. The first time everyone was wriggling on the ground, trying to get on their feet without using their hands and keeping their ankles crossed, while I got up in one movement. Everyone started staring at me like I was some kind of acrobat.
Rolling is good and all, but not everything. So here, today's unsolicited post-lesson advice from yours truly,  chief master petty sergeant major destruction corporal punishment Fimbulvarg

1: The best defence is a good offence.
2: Always go for the eyes
3: A bone-shattering screech is the best way to let your victim would-be assailant know you are not messing around.
4: "fleeing" is just another word for "strategically redistributing your war efforts in time and space"
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:49:46 AM by Fimbulvarg »

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1823 on: November 27, 2014, 09:49:25 AM »

Augh perspective and library and lighting and ruins and *incomprehensible mumbling*

Oh....congrats? I guess that means you'll survive longer when the inevitable giant crashes your airport.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1824 on: November 27, 2014, 09:56:09 AM »
The first time everyone was wriggling on the ground, trying to get on their feet without using their hands and keeping their ankles crossed, while I did something kex is really envying me of

Every defence or combat skills I tried, Judo, Karate, Aikido, Somethingelsewithaweirdname, ended with me trying to puzzle out which hand goes near what foot in which order. I stick with Fimbulvarg's advice to go straight for the eyes. Fingers are actually a good weapon.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1825 on: November 27, 2014, 10:27:06 AM »
Personally, I'm a fan of going for the throat.
I'm easy to brat in a fight, just push me over, I have a long distance to fall.  Oh, and I'm stupidly out of shape.  :P  All of [impressive title] Fimbulvarg's advice is sound.  Follow it and teach your classmates how to fear fight, Nimphy.
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

« Reply #1826 on: November 27, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »
Rolling is good and all, but not everything. So here, today's unsolicited post-lesson advice from yours truly,  chief master petty sergeant major destruction corporal punishment Fimbulvarg

1: The best defence is a good offence.
2: Always go for the eyes
3: A bone-shattering screech is the best way to let your victim would-be assailant know you are not messing around.
4: "fleeing" is just another word for "strategically redistributing your war efforts in time and space"

Every defence or combat skills I tried, Judo, Karate, Aikido, Somethingelsewithaweirdname, ended with me trying to puzzle out which hand goes near what foot in which order. I stick with Fimbulvarg's advice to go straight for the eyes. Fingers are actually a good weapon.

Oh yes, always go for the eyes, that's what I say! But the lesson was actually aimed at "How to get away in case someone gets weird ideas". So no actual fighting, just fleeing strategically redistributing our war efforts in time and space. Apparently the best self defense technique for these cases is outting a finger in your nose.
Oh, and punching the victim on their nose, because if we punch strong enough the nose will shatter and the shards will pierce the brain.

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1827 on: November 27, 2014, 12:30:34 PM »
Oh, and punching the victim on their nose, because if we punch strong enough the nose will shatter and the shards will pierce the brain.
Actually, they won't; look at any olde skull to see how much protrusion of a human nose is not cartilage or even flimsier than that. Try a ballpoint pen into the ear. :-X
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1828 on: November 27, 2014, 12:31:04 PM »

I'd like to see you try to punch me or Eich on the nose actually  :P

(Or JoB for that matter, but for an entirely different reason - you'd have to get through his defensive shield of capsacin vapour)

Nimphy

« Reply #1829 on: November 27, 2014, 12:46:14 PM »
I'd like to see you try to punch me or Eich on the nose actually  :P

(Or JoB for that matter, but for an entirely different reason - you'd have to get through his defensive shield of capsacin vapour)

Oh, shut up, tall lady!  >:(

Actually, they won't; look at any olde skull to see how much protrusion of a human nose is not cartilage or even flimsier than that. Try a ballpoint pen into the ear. :-X

Just repeating what they tell me, JoB. But it did look weird at first. I mean, does cartilage even break and pierce brain? Because now I'm really worried that someone will punch me in the nose...