Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410915 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1800 on: November 26, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »
As much as I like the name Washington for our state, it really is confusing for everyone. Most people here call DC DC or Washington DC. The state is always just Washington unless talking to someone from out of state.
Considering the geographical distribution, may I suggest "West Washington" (WW) for the Pacific-Time-ers, and replacing "DC" with "East Washington" (EW)? :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1801 on: November 26, 2014, 09:13:09 AM »
Considering the geographical distribution, may I suggest "West Washington" (WW) for the Pacific-Time-ers, and replacing "DC" with "East Washington" (EW)? :P

That won't work, because the Cascade mountains divide the state down the middle and those are the "official" names for the two halves of the state.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1802 on: November 26, 2014, 09:45:50 AM »
That won't work, because the Cascade mountains divide the state down the middle and those are the "official" names for the two halves of the state.
Nuuu! Curse you, continental drift!! I was that close to make them teach children in the entire U.S. that "our nation's capital is Washington, EW!" ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1803 on: November 26, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »
Our headmaster will drop in tomorrow and he'll take a close look on me doing my lessons with the kids. On the one hand I'm happy he is there, so the kids will try to behave as best as they could, on the other hand it is 8 pm and still so much to do. Cried enough, hope your week is going well so far. Weekend is comming soon (for me at last).
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1804 on: November 26, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »
Nuuu! Curse you, continental drift!! I was that close to make them teach children in the entire U.S. that "our nation's capital is Washington, EW!" ;)

Geography wins again!

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1805 on: November 26, 2014, 06:13:23 PM »
Home again, home again.
Today is supposed to be the busiest day for traffic for the entire year and, yep, the roads were pretty packed.  The police were out in full force to give tickets.  They were having a field day...

@Owl, sadly, the funny loud lady took a vacation today, before the holiday.  It was strangely quiet... That package finally showed up, too, but the post office was closed.  I wouldn't have used either of the things in there during the holiday anyway, so I'm not too fussed about it.

@JoB, most native people have an "ew" -like reaction when they think of DC, already.
Also, I've always called it Washington.  The state is on the opposite corner of the country from me, so we don't talk about it very much down here.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1806 on: November 26, 2014, 06:21:56 PM »
Home again, home again.
Today is supposed to be the busiest day for traffic for the entire year and, yep, the roads were pretty packed.  The police were out in full force to give tickets.  They were having a field day...
Because of Thanksgiving? Remind me, when is Black Friday again?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1807 on: November 26, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »

(Shudder.)  Day after tomorrow.  I will stay out of the stores at all costs. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1808 on: November 26, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »
This Friday.  Right after Thanksgiving.  This one is the busiest because everyone is travelling home to their families, all at once. 
The smart people stay inside on black Friday and order things online from the sites that participate in the sales. Amazon is one of those sites, so you can get pretty much anything in the universe, on sale, from your bed... Which is amazing.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1809 on: November 26, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »
(Shudder.)  Day after tomorrow.  I will stay out of the stores at all costs.
What, aren't you prepared to FIGHT for your undeniable rights to loot?

Just kidding; I'm not a materialistic person so the whole debacle seems so alien to me. The things people will do for questionable gains. Luckily we don't really have full-blown Black Fridays here, but I see some stores using the term and I don't like it (Halloween was imported by stores as well in order to sell more).

Amazon is one of those sites, so you can get pretty much anything in the universe, on sale, from your bed... Which is amazing.
But can you download a car?

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1810 on: November 26, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »
What, aren't you prepared to FIGHT for your undeniable rights to loot?

Just kidding; I'm not a materialistic person so the whole debacle seems so alien to me. The things people will do for questionable gains. Luckily we don't really have full-blown Black Fridays here, but I see some stores using the term and I don't like it (Halloween was imported by stores as well in order to sell more).
But can you download a car?
Excellent question.  Quite witty of you. 
If you have some good 3-d printers... Maybe...

It's not necessarily that they're being materialistic, it's mainly so they can get stuff for other people, before Christmas comes around.  As it stands, though, you could not pay me to go shopping on black Friday.  My friend works at a clothing store, and he's told me stories about his battles.  He's a local legend, fending off dozens upon dozens of angry, middle aged mothers and their floor-peeing children, defending the storefront with valor and compulsive lying.  If black Friday is coming to Norway, you may want to learn blacksmithing.  You never know when a spear may come in handy...
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1811 on: November 26, 2014, 06:56:45 PM »
Quite witty of you. 
You say that, but my deadpan-detector is off the charts  :P

My friend works at a clothing store, and he's told me stories about his battles.  He's a local legend, fending off dozens upon dozens of angry, middle aged mothers and their floor-peeing children, defending the storefront with valor and compulsive lying.
Sounds to me like you've just answered the question "who might I rely on if the zombie apocalypse were to become a reality".

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1812 on: November 26, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »
You say that, but my deadpan-detector is off the charts  :P
Sounds to me like you've just answered the question "who might I rely on if the zombie apocalypse were to become a reality".
I wouldn't have it any other way. Still made me laugh.

You'll need an engineer to.  I won't be as chipper as Tuuri, though...  He actually did get a couple promotions shortly after his first black Friday at that place.  And the floor-peeers are real.  These kids get separated from their parents somehow, don't know what to do, and just pee on the floor like it's a defense mechanism (not on black Friday, just randomly throughout the year).  I'm glad I've never had a store job, that would be waaaaay too stressful for me.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1813 on: November 26, 2014, 07:19:33 PM »
Ah, found it: Reddit's great thread for tales of battle and loot on Black Friday. It seems Wal-Mart tends to be the eye of the storm, which isn't really a surprise.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1814 on: November 26, 2014, 08:05:56 PM »
Ah, found it: Reddit's great thread for tales of battle and loot on Black Friday. It seems Wal-Mart tends to be the eye of the storm, which isn't really a surprise.

My mom had the great idea to go to wal mart on Black Friday once and took me with her. The second we stepped into the store we were both going never again. We don't like shopping to begin with but this was horrible. You couldn't pay me either.