Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410638 times)

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15585 on: May 26, 2016, 11:12:11 PM »
I have a problem. It's called; 'my sister is starting a new D&D campaign and the premise is startlingly similar to SSSS and please stop me before I just make Mikkel as my character'. The basic outline I got is that we are in a Scandinavian-y country in her setting, are all members of some military group, are all very underqualified, and going on an expedition to map a new dimension that is probably very dangerous. AND I CAN'T THINK OF ANY CHARACTERS, because she went 'hey you could be the medic', and now I just want to be Mikkel.

That sounds like the best D&D campaign ever... I really want to run a game like that now! And now you make me realize how long it's been since my last session...
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #15586 on: May 26, 2016, 11:17:24 PM »
Yeah I'm really excited because I haven't had a session in quite some time. Now I just have to find a nameeee... I'm on behind the name and I got Poul from the random renamer. I just laughed so hard, because my friends would have a field day making fun of that name.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15587 on: May 26, 2016, 11:43:18 PM »
Wait, has your sister read SSSS ? Either way just go ahead and play as Mikkel that sounds like a great idea :3

And I'm super jealous you get to play a D&D session that's super close to SSSS enjoy the heck out of that.

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #15588 on: May 27, 2016, 12:01:48 AM »
I forced her to read it, but she only got to chapter two before she told me she didn't like webcomics. Knowing her campaign setting it's just a huge coincidence, but I still find it really funny.

I have annoyed her enough about SSSS and I don't really want to be extra annoying and practically be Mikkel because I've already gone 'so hey what if I was just really huge, made completely deadpan jokes, was really bad at stitches, and did all of the cooking?' and she immediately shot me down. ;-; So I have a vague idea of what I'm going to do for a character instead but she jokingly called that character a scout and it's like she's trying to test my limits of how far she can go before I just scream and turn into Mikkel. BUT I DON'T WANT TO DO THAT, so does anyone have any good Scandinavian name suggestions because the generator actually gave me Mikkel and I'm about to just smash the computer. (though I may use a Finnish one because everyone else is probably going to go full Scandinavian and I believe she said that there would probably be areas that would be finnish-y)

Edit: I just realized that the only other person whose character I know anything about is playing a really skinny, grouchy mage with a finnish name ugghhh.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:11:54 AM by Jhev »
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15589 on: May 27, 2016, 05:39:46 AM »
(snip) does anyone have any good Scandinavian name suggestions because the generator actually gave me Mikkel and I'm about to just smash the computer. .

Well, for a few years I've been in possession of a book called "5000 names and their significance" so I might help you (or confuse you further). Many nordic names are combination of words that originally had meaning, although their significance is gone from ordinary use. It's nice to know the original meaning though, hence this book.
Spoiler: many many names but not near to all of them • show

Female name prefixes, some of these (like arn- and as-, dag and Tor)works for all:
Alv- shining
Arn- eagle
As/ås- the name for the old gods
Aud- from audr, wealth (interestingly similar to devastation, actually
Berg- (probably salvage/shelter)
Bryn- armour
Dag- day
Ed- wealth
Sol- sun
Sig-victory
Øy- happiness
Eld- fire
Fred- peace, shelter
Frøy/frey- these gods were siblings.
Geir- spear
Gud- god
Hall- rock, stone
Ing- antoher name for Frøy (a), two of the gods of the old pantheon
Tor-  god of thunder

Female name suffixes (many of these may also work as names if you put an -a at the end. And some of them can be used completely alone, like Unn and Bjørg. Or even as name prefixes, like Borghild)
-hild: fight, battle (strid, kamp)
-a: accepted female ending to most of the prefixes
-bjørg/borg: protection/shelter (castle/keep)
-dis: godess of lower order.
-frid: pretty woman
-gunn: fight (strid)
-laug: promised (to)
-ljot: light, shining
-ny: new
-run: secret
-unn: to love
-veig: unknown ending, might mean the one who fights
-vor: wary/protection
-gerd: fence/shelter

Some male suffixes (as with the female suffixes, many of these works as single names, or prefixes):
-ulv/ulf: Wolf
-bjørn: Bear
-geir: spear
-leiv/leif: heir
-vald: ruler
-lak/leik: fight
-grim: Man wearing a helmet
-stein: stone
-odd: sharp, pointed. Works as a prefix as well. Oddgeir, for example, is an accepted name.
-var
-ar: no known significance, but commonly used.
-svein: young man

..oh dear I realize I can't read the whole book today. But hope these helped some!

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15590 on: May 27, 2016, 12:46:44 PM »
This is cute: some people wanted to send a letter to a farm they visited in Iceland but they didn't know the name of the farm or the people so they drew a map instead.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2016/05/26/letter-delivered-despite-no-name-no-address
Pretentious? Moi?

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #15591 on: May 27, 2016, 02:03:37 PM »
This is cute: some people wanted to send a letter to a farm they visited in Iceland but they didn't know the name of the farm or the people so they drew a map instead.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2016/05/26/letter-delivered-despite-no-name-no-address

Heee! Well, whatever works, right? : D
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15592 on: May 27, 2016, 06:09:55 PM »
I did several times have letters delivered to me with that sort of map, and a couple of times when the address was just my forename and my suburb.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #15593 on: May 27, 2016, 06:51:14 PM »
Quote from: Unlos
Well, for a few years I've been in possession of a book called "5000 names and their significance" so I might help you (or confuse you further). Many nordic names are combination of words that originally had meaning, although their significance is gone from ordinary use. It's nice to know the original meaning though, hence this book.

I actually finally picked a name before I saw this (it's Johannes, I decided to not go ULTRA-VIKING), but I just found out we get a little animal companion, so I used it to name her Hallvor. Thank you, or else I would've spent two days deciding on that too!

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15594 on: May 27, 2016, 06:59:26 PM »

Ahhhhh this is so precious !!

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

WrittenEmber

« Reply #15595 on: May 27, 2016, 09:44:27 PM »

That is so cool! I'm impressed that they found a way to send it despite not having the address. What a clever solution!

Sometimes I forget that post people on the ground actually try pretty hard to get mail where it's supposed to go, despite the run-around you often get when you call the main offices. (At least in my experience.)
A fantasy story and a sci-fi story walk into a literal bar... (original fiction, first kicked off here on the forum with Unwary's Crossroads RP thread)

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #15596 on: May 27, 2016, 09:58:27 PM »
Tonight's Taekwondo class: I was the only adult, and the only black belt, and the only person not eligible for the upcoming test.

:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Emil

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • my real name is Emil but you can call me Emil
  • Preferred pronouns: *incoherent screaming*
« Reply #15597 on: May 29, 2016, 03:30:56 PM »
Tonight's Taekwondo class: I was the only adult, and the only black belt, and the only person not eligible for the upcoming test.

What kind of test are we talking about?

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #15598 on: May 29, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »
What kind of test are we talking about?

There's going to be an upcoming belt test. ...is there any other kind?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Uinuvien

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #15599 on: May 29, 2016, 03:49:23 PM »
I'm going to graduate on Thursday, so OF COURSE I woke up with sore throat yesterday. Last night I couldn't fall asleep before 5am and today sore throat got company from runny nose and slight fever. Just splendid!

Dad is going to bring me some hardcore medicine (AND BERRY JUICE WITH HONEY!) tomorrow morning, so lets hope I manage to go get my paper myself.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 04:34:39 PM by Uinuvien »
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Learning :sweden:
Some knowledge :germany:
:chap5: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: