Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410882 times)

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15570 on: May 24, 2016, 11:23:44 AM »
Happy forum anniversary Helia!

everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #15571 on: May 24, 2016, 11:32:58 AM »
Situation in France seems... errr... "funny". Can I stay in Netherlands a few more days ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15572 on: May 25, 2016, 09:22:45 AM »
It's the Glorious 25th of May. 

Truth! Justice! Freedom! Reasonably-Priced Love! And a Hard-Boiled Egg!

Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #15573 on: May 25, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »

I know where my towel is.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15574 on: May 25, 2016, 09:45:15 AM »
Sadly, the lilac is out of season in Australia. Maybe Sam Vimes has some?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #15575 on: May 25, 2016, 12:34:34 PM »
Air conditioning is evil and it needs to die a quick and painful death. Hopefully by being boiled in something. Seriously, everywhere from the building where I work to public transportation has the stuff blasting the second the temperature gets above 70F (that's about 20C for those people who live in sensible countries that use the metric system) and I am getting so sick of being punished because I dressed for the weather instead of trying to stuff myself into some stupid suit.

(Oh yes, and have I mentioned that currently my office is also running the heater, even though it's 80F (that's about 26C for those people who live in sensible countries that use the metric system) outside, yet my office is still freezing because apparently I can't be trusted to control the temperature in my own workspace. I should do a calculation sometime of how much money the university is wasting by not giving us thermostats, followed up by the country's carbon footprint due to air conditioning alone.)
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15576 on: May 25, 2016, 12:49:29 PM »
Lazy8, I feel you on that one! I think all you can do is wear layers, and add or subtract them as needed.

Could be worse. There's an environmental vice practiced by rich yuppies in the Adelaide Hills that really makes me grind my teeth. Our summers are hot (gets above 40C/100F quite often) and our winters freezing. Christmas here is in the middle of summer. So these fools hold a traditional English Christmas - blazing open fire, brandy, full roast, plum pudding and all that. And so as not to die of heatstroke, they also run their airconditioners at full freeze while doing all this. In bushfire season, when there are lots of power outages anyway. Aaarrgh!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #15577 on: May 25, 2016, 01:07:08 PM »
Lazy8, I feel you on that one! I think all you can do is wear layers, and add or subtract them as needed.

Could be worse. There's an environmental vice practiced by rich yuppies in the Adelaide Hills that really makes me grind my teeth. Our summers are hot (gets above 40C/100F quite often) and our winters freezing. Christmas here is in the middle of summer. So these fools hold a traditional English Christmas - blazing open fire, brandy, full roast, plum pudding and all that. And so as not to die of heatstroke, they also run their airconditioners at full freeze while doing all this. In bushfire season, when there are lots of power outages anyway. Aaarrgh!

...yeah, can't even comment on that one. Too much rage.

And about all I can do at the moment is periodically cuddle up next to the heater, since I don't have any more layers to put on since I shouldn't need them because it's almost summer. Stubborn personality trait of mine: "I shouldn't have to do it, therefore I refuse to do it!", even though I almost never accomplish anything other than making myself miserable.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15578 on: May 25, 2016, 01:26:49 PM »

Truth! Justice! Freedom! Reasonably-Priced Love! And a Hard-Boiled Egg!

Yess.

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #15579 on: May 25, 2016, 01:40:53 PM »
...yeah, can't even comment on that one. Too much rage.

And about all I can do at the moment is periodically cuddle up next to the heater, since I don't have any more layers to put on since I shouldn't need them because it's almost summer. Stubborn personality trait of mine: "I shouldn't have to do it, therefore I refuse to do it!", even though I almost never accomplish anything other than making myself miserable.

I work in a building with a lot of electronic equipment which is on 24/7/365, it requires extensive AC. Our offices run off the same system which was never balanced right. During the winter there is heating system and I have a thermostat valve under my desk. So when the lab gets too cool I can retreat to my office. In the summer the heat is off and the AC is our source of heat cool etc. I have hanging on my office door a flannel shirt, a fleece vest, and a hat. Depending on the state of the AC system and the outside weather, the AC system has external sensors to adjust itself like when it's really cold in the winter time it shuts off the active AC and uses the outside air directly to save energy, I will add or subtract layers as needed. The hat is when I have to work in close proximity to a register. You do what you need to do to be, somewhat, comfortable.
It also seems to be a truism that the more broken the system seems to be, the more recalcitrant are those who are charged with its maintenance. But you've already found that out I'm sure.
I went to engineering college at WPI where as part of your degree you do medium size project/paper on some aspect of technology and how it relates to everyday life. There was a story that a student wanted to do a study of why there are so many HVAC systems that are dysfunctional. He couldn't find a professor to be his supervisor for the project.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15580 on: May 25, 2016, 02:06:28 PM »
It's looking to be 86F/30C this coming few days when I'm camping.

I'd LOVE a little AC
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

WrittenEmber

• Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15581 on: May 25, 2016, 02:48:38 PM »
We've been regularly above 90F/32C all month where I'm at, and have already hit 100F/38C a few times, yet I still have to wear long sleeves to work because they run the AC so hard. And we're a casual dress office, too, so nobody wears suits or anything like that. I actually see coworkers sitting at their desks with lap blankets over their legs or around their shoulders.

I wouldn't mind the low temps, if they were natural. But,

A) we're wasting energy to break your heart, and
B) the temp difference between indoors and outdoors only makes the high outdoor temps harder to cope with.

Shouldn't there be a happy medium? Keep it cooler than outside, sure. 100F can be dangerous. But we don't need to crank it down to 65F/18C, really we don't.
A fantasy story and a sci-fi story walk into a literal bar... (original fiction, first kicked off here on the forum with Unwary's Crossroads RP thread)

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #15582 on: May 25, 2016, 05:07:31 PM »
Shouldn't there be a happy medium? Keep it cooler than outside, sure. 100F can be dangerous. But we don't need to crank it down to 65F/18C, really we don't.

The temperature control at my school was really messed up today. In one room, it was frigid, in the next, 90F. I've been putting my sweater on/off all day, despite it being 90F outside.
Also, the weather seems to have decided it wants to be chilly at night and HOT during the day.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:09:25 PM by Tr »
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #15583 on: May 25, 2016, 08:18:06 PM »
The aircon in my office appears to have been designed by molemen who have never set foot on the surface of the planet. As far as we can tell, the temperature sensors are on the outside so if it's boiling hot out there the aircon sets itself to arctic, and if it's cold outside it tries to warm us up. Which is all well and good, except if you're working in a smallish room with five people and seven computers and it happens to be a cold day what you really want is cooling, not the breath from an industrial furnace blasting through the vents.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15584 on: May 26, 2016, 10:56:52 PM »
I have a problem. It's called; 'my sister is starting a new D&D campaign and the premise is startlingly similar to SSSS and please stop me before I just make Mikkel as my character'. The basic outline I got is that we are in a Scandinavian-y country in her setting, are all members of some military group, are all very underqualified, and going on an expedition to map a new dimension that is probably very dangerous. AND I CAN'T THINK OF ANY CHARACTERS, because she went 'hey you could be the medic', and now I just want to be Mikkel.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway: