Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411159 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14835 on: April 04, 2016, 02:42:47 AM »
Watching this and dying of secondhand embarrassment every two seconds. WELL THEN, seems like we'll be having demonstrations again, better ready my pots and pans for tonight.

(I assume by now this is no longer news to anyone but just in case, here's what happened.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:45:13 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14836 on: April 04, 2016, 04:54:21 AM »
Watching this and dying of secondhand embarrassment every two seconds. WELL THEN, seems like we'll be having demonstrations again, better ready my pots and pans for tonight.

(I assume by now this is no longer news to anyone but just in case, here's what happened.)

I'm sitting here in Eastern Europe and snickering at the rest of the world. You guys can now entertain yourselves with corrupt leaders too, we do this daily! (Note: I'm not actually happy about there being corrupt officials everywhere, but I'm happy that they are exposed. This is going to be interesting.)

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14837 on: April 04, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »
I'm sitting here in Eastern Europe and snickering at the rest of the world. You guys can now entertain yourselves with corrupt leaders too, we do this daily! (Note: I'm not actually happy about there being corrupt officials everywhere, but I'm happy that they are exposed. This is going to be interesting.)

I can't deny having similar thoughts...
Only in some countries this will be the scandal of the decade, while in others people just shrug and the corrupt politicians get rid of thier business in Panama and continnue their investments in the Cayman Islands, Cyprus and the Seychelles...
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14838 on: April 04, 2016, 09:13:54 AM »
I can't deny having similar thoughts...
Only in some countries this will be the scandal of the decade, while in others people just shrug and the corrupt politicians get rid of thier business in Panama and continnue their investments in the Cayman Islands, Cyprus and the Seychelles...

I hope your politicians at least have a bit more style, because so far our PM has:

- blamed this on a bank doing something because he "doesn't know how these things work"
- "my wife, my wife, my wife"
- locked himself in his car with said wife and called the police to avoid Aftenposten's reporters
- has now gone to hide behind his dad, I'm not kidding

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #14839 on: April 04, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
Our politicians generally just shrug and walk away. Or don't let non-govt media even ask questions. One of them recently said "What you call corruption, is technically the main politics of Fidesz [the ruling party]".
Welcome to Eastern Europe, where people don't know to laugh or cry when they read the news! (assuming it's not the propaganda news) :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:26:25 AM by Eriaror »
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14840 on: April 04, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »
BTW your icon is Wheatley correct? I just finished Portal 2. fun game.

It is, indeed!

Portal 2 was the first game I spent money on since I finished the Myst series.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14841 on: April 04, 2016, 10:04:46 AM »
I hope your politicians at least have a bit more style, because so far our PM has:

- blamed this on a bank doing something because he "doesn't know how these things work"
- locked himself in his car with said wife and called the police to avoid Aftenposten's reporters

...Wow. o_O Yes, I'm just boggling at this.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #14842 on: April 04, 2016, 11:05:46 AM »
It is, indeed!

Portal 2 was the first game I spent money on since I finished the Myst series.

Ooo Myst! I remember those. terribly hard for a kid, but really cool to play with. Did you play Riven too?
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14843 on: April 04, 2016, 11:07:29 AM »
Ooo Myst! I remember those. terribly hard for a kid, but really cool to play with. Did you play Riven too?

I played all of them!  (Myst 3: Exile was probably my favorite of the 5).

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #14844 on: April 04, 2016, 11:19:14 AM »

Ah, he's amateur. Here it goes like this:

- blame it on the previous government(s)
- ban the members of non-gov media from everywhere you can be found
- prove that whoever asked the question is an unreliable person; he/she is backed by mysterious, unfriendly powers and there is evidence that their sister's father-in-law's third wife's neighbour's dog walker's cousine dated a communist in 1988.
- anyway, you're not doing any illegal activity; the money you invested in tropical states (which equals the annual budget of a smaller town) was a gift from your hardworking parents to support your growing family
- and why journalists are only asking about these things and withold the news about really important achievements; you've just came from a ribbon cutting ceremony, because two new rubbish bins were installed by the playground of a small village. That should be on the first page!

Uh, I should probably refrain from posting about politics... :-[
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #14845 on: April 04, 2016, 11:30:47 AM »
It will be interesting to see if the Clinton's, always paragons of truth and uprightness, or Mr Trump's, a wheeler dealer of the first order, names comes up in all of this. If Bernie's name shows up "we're all doomed I tell ya, doomed!"
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #14846 on: April 04, 2016, 11:55:54 AM »
It will be interesting to see if the Clinton's, always paragons of truth and uprightness, or Mr Trump's, a wheeler dealer of the first order, names comes up in all of this. If Bernie's name shows up "we're all doomed I tell ya, doomed!"

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump had offshore accounts.  (I mean, I have an offshore account, too, but there's not a lot of money in it and I declare it to the IRS)

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #14847 on: April 04, 2016, 12:02:55 PM »
I played all of them!  (Myst 3: Exile was probably my favorite of the 5).

nice, I think I might have just found that one while helping my parents pack. I might have to borrow it. I love puzzly games but finding good ones can be rather hard.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #14848 on: April 04, 2016, 12:16:21 PM »

One doesn't need style if the general assumption is that politicians *will* be corrupt. People often defend their favorite political figures even after they get exposed in the media for corruption or do jail time because "everyone is like that anyway". Politics and administration is a sad circus here, and as Eriaror noted, we don't really know whether to laugh or cry. This guy would fit right in.

(I mean, I have an offshore account, too, but there's not a lot of money in it and I declare it to the IRS)
What's the point in having an offshore account if you pay taxes for it anyway? *poor person here, I never needed to get educated about this*

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14849 on: April 04, 2016, 12:30:20 PM »
Uh, I should probably refrain from posting about politics... :-[

It's ok, I started it after all. Holy wow though, he indeed is an amateur!

Btw if you want to watch the protest there's a cam available here facing the house of parliament. It's that tiny house right in the middle. It's scheduled to begin in half an hour, five o'clock over here.