Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387697 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1515 on: November 17, 2014, 11:39:22 PM »
Most of the floors are underground, for some reason.  I think ground floor is... well, there's a bridge on one side, and lower ground beneath, but I think the bridge is at the fourth floor, so 2, 1, and sort of 3 are underground.  His chamber of beanbags was destroyed by the elevator maintenance men, sadly.  The nest is no more.   Also, we have some weird people that hang out in the library.  Some of them aren't students, and they take computer seats and make a ruckus. 

I'd love it if we had a second, smaller library somewhere.  As it is, we have to reserve study rooms at least a day in advance if we want to use them.  That wooden beamy library sounds more up my alley than the concrete death fortress (with beanbags) that we have. 
College libraries are interesting, when they have a century or two's worth of weird people who went there in the past.
The disruptive non-students......that's.....weird. OnO

Ha, I just tried searching for any pictures of the wooden beams, and discovered that the art library has taken random photos of all the study spaces for....some reason, and in every one, there's a beam somewhere in the background, photobombing XP

It's also painful and embarrassing if you hit your head on one :(
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1516 on: November 18, 2014, 12:08:46 AM »
There are SEVEN FLoOrs?!?!?? I don't think I've actually been in a building with that many floors :/ let alone a hidden floor!
That sounds like the Chamber of Secret Beanbags! X'D the Art College library is empty most of the time, so I have the whole place to myself, which is nice because the main campus library is usually overcrowded with people waiting to get a seat :/ scary.

The art school used to be a jam factory, so there are huuuuuge minna-esque wooden beams in the walls and roof that you have to duck under :P and on hot days apparently jam starts to leak out of the walls O___O but it's a really nice cosy library. :3

Jammm Factorehhhh! Haha, that sounds very Andy Warhol-esque.  (Or Knitting Factory-esque.)  Especially full of art students!  Do your classmates specializing in "performance art" hold Happenings? 

All this discussion of secret library rooms reminds me of *my* favorite undergraduate hideaway, the Caverno Classics Room at Smith College.  Isn't "Caverno" an evocative name?  As one of about 6 classics majors in my graduating class, I almost always had the place to myself.

The computer workstation is after my time (when we took notes with reed pens on clay tablets just like the Babylonians! ... No, not really, but we did scribble Latin translations of Bruce Springsteen and Aretha Franklin songs on the chalkboard).  It also used to be painted plain white above the dark wooden panels, though now I note it's Pompeii-red. 

I never spent the night there, but I heard rumors of students who did, though they had to hide in the bathroom to escape the security guards once the library closed at midnight. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1517 on: November 18, 2014, 12:20:06 AM »
Jammm Factorehhhh! Haha, that sounds very Andy Warhol-esque.  (Or Knitting Factory-esque.)  Especially full of art students!  Do your classmates specializing in "performance art" hold Happenings? 

All this discussion of secret library rooms reminds me of *my* favorite undergraduate hideaway, the Caverno Classics Room at Smith College.  Isn't "Caverno" an evocative name?  As one of about 6 classics majors in my graduating class, I almost always had the place to myself.

The computer workstation is after my time (when we took notes with reed pens on clay tablets just like the Babylonians! ... No, not really, but we did scribble Latin translations of Bruce Springsteen and Aretha Franklin songs on the chalkboard).  It also used to be painted plain white above the dark wooden panels, though now I note it's Pompeii-red. 

I never spent the night there, but I heard rumors of students who did, though they had to hide in the bathroom to escape the security guards once the library closed at midnight.
No drama/theatre students on that campus :( they're somewhere else...

OH MY GOSH that caverno room is sooooo coooool!! It's like an awesome combo of the mini campus classics museum and a library study area! OuO eeeeeEeeeeeEeEeee!!!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #1518 on: November 18, 2014, 01:20:09 AM »
OH MY GOSH that caverno room is sooooo coooool!! It's like an awesome combo of the mini campus classics museum and a library study area! OuO eeeeeEeeeeeEeEeee!!!

Aw, thanks.  I love my alma mater -- I only wish I'd appreciated the place more when I was a student.  But it's hard to pull back and feel appreciative when you've got a 5-page paper on Cicero's defense strategy for Publius Clodius (or whatever) hanging over your head. 

Haec olim meminisse juvabit. (One of the few Latin quotations I still remember, from the Aeneid:  "Someday it will be pleasing to think back on these things." 

Also, I should add that the massive antique beams in OrigamiOwl's library are *awesome.*  San Francisco tech startups would weep with envy to have such an industrial-chic setting.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:22:06 AM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1519 on: November 18, 2014, 04:40:04 AM »
Do a tumblr search on libraries, you won't regret it. So much old school cool. I kind of wish I had a room big enough to turn into a vintage library. I certainly have enough tons of books for it. Y'know, a place to wear an evening gown, a fez and pretend to smoke a pipe as you flip through  Gøran Niklasson's timeless work "Alt om spadar".

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1520 on: November 18, 2014, 06:07:16 AM »
Do a tumblr search on libraries, you won't regret it. So much old school cool. I kind of wish I had a room big enough to turn into a vintage library. I certainly have enough tons of books for it. Y'know, a place to wear an evening gown, a fez and pretend to smoke a pipe as you flip through  Gøran Niklasson's timeless work "Alt om spadar".
A bubble-blowing pipe! And slippers! ;3

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1521 on: November 18, 2014, 06:18:57 AM »
A bubble-blowing pipe! And slippers! ;3
Apparently I associate the word slippers with swimfins, so the mental image I got from your post was really weird.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1522 on: November 18, 2014, 06:34:57 AM »
Apparently I associate the word slippers with swimfins, so the mental image I got from your post was really weird.
Aw nooo! I call those flippers XD what are slippers called then?

That IS a funny mental-image! Yet somehow......it still works ;3

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1523 on: November 18, 2014, 06:46:32 AM »
Aw nooo! I call those flippers XD what are slippers called then?

That IS a funny mental-image! Yet somehow......it still works ;3
Because of a generally watery theme?  Bubbles + flippers would fit a water themed library... Maybe a snorkeling mask too.
Off to work with me (with all 4 hours of sleep that I got). :P
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #1524 on: November 18, 2014, 01:56:22 PM »
Do a tumblr search on libraries, you won't regret it. So much old school cool. I kind of wish I had a room big enough to turn into a vintage library. I certainly have enough tons of books for it.

Y'know, a place to wear an evening gown, a fez and pretend to smoke a pipe as you flip through Gøran Niklasson's timeless work "Alt om spadar".

Or chat with your audience, like Niklas in Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time

Actually, instead of "evening gown," you may mean "smoking jacket."  In U.S. English, evening gowns are what Disney princesses wear to balls.  (Although if your favorite outfit for a cozy evening at home is the side-slit, ice-blue satin number Elsa wears in "Frozen," I won't judge...)

If the menswear look is not your thing, how about a loose, flowing, easy yet luxurious tea gown

As far as "slippers," in U.S. English they are generally the bedroom kind.  I own these.  You probably want the Sherlock Holmes kind, exotic Persian slippers.

In Hawaii, where I grew up, "slippers" -- or rather, "slippahs" -- refers to the universally worn rubber thong sandals, or zoris.  (Called "flip-flops" here on the Mainland.)

Yikes, I let the fashion-history-geek side of me out too far!  But for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, it's getting to be pipe-and-slippers by the fireside time.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:55:06 AM by Sunflower »

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1525 on: November 18, 2014, 02:15:02 PM »
Or chat with your audience, like Niklas in [urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqBk3TVeGBA&list=UUfLGZs8bSDbkNJjCRIE7NSg]Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time[/url]. 

Actually, instead of "evening gown," you may mean "smoking jacket."  In U.S. English, evening gowns are what Disney princesses wear to balls.  (Although if your favorite outfit for a cozy evening at home is the side-slit, ice-blue satin number Elsa wears in "Frozen," I won't judge...)

If the menswear look is not your thing, how about a loose, flowing, easy yet luxurious tea gown

As far as "slippers," in U.S. English they are generally the bedroom kind.  I own these.  You probably want the Sherlock Holmes kind, exotic Persian slippers.

In Hawaii, where I grew up, "slippers" -- or rather, "slippahs" -- refers to the universally worn rubber thong sandals, or zoris.  (Called "flip-flops" here on the Mainland.)

Yikes, I let the fashion-history-geek side of me out too far!  But for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, it's getting to be pipe-and-slippers by the fireside time.

I've actually been following Swedish mealtime since... like 2011? So I've seen all their clips. I was watching the latest one just before you linked to it in the recipe thread =P

Yeah, I was actually going to write smoking jacket, but then I thought "hang on, a smoking is a kind of dress no" and went for something else, which in this case was the completely wrong word. An evening gown like the ones I see now that I'm googling the term is definitely not what I had in mind. In Norway a knit sweater is the universal garment for some light reading by the fireplace. I'd go for that.

Slippers, flippers, trippers, it's all the same to me. I wear læsta from September till May, that's about it for footwear.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1526 on: November 18, 2014, 04:19:09 PM »
This is my 1001st post! I am now Ruler of a Derelict Airport! I shall accept your undying adulation, little scouts and rangers down there.

Somehow I wish my 1000th post hadn't been in the Play-By-Post thread... oh well, what's done is done.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1527 on: November 18, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »
This is my 1001st post! I am now Ruler of a Derelict Airport! I shall accept your undying adulation, little scouts and rangers down there.

Somehow I wish my 1000th post hadn't been in the Play-By-Post thread... oh well, what's done is done.

Sunflower, JoB and OrigamiOwl need to hurry up and achieve rangerhood. We need 5 rangers to fight the reign of terror of Nimphy I, the despotic Ruler of Airports.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:23:36 PM by Fimbulvarg »

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1528 on: November 18, 2014, 04:36:23 PM »
Sunflower, JoB and OrigamiOwl need to hurry up and achieve rangerhood. We need 5 rangers to fight the reign of terror of Nimphy I, the despotic Ruler of Airports.
Oh my gosh. I watched all of it and cried laughing X'D I still can't stop laughing....Nimphy in that costume.....with those lines...
Where is Ranger level? ;3
Maybe someone wants to play forum-chess? If they have a board at home :P

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1529 on: November 18, 2014, 04:37:57 PM »
Sunflower, JoB and OrigamiOwl need to hurry up and achieve rangerhood.
That would be six rangers, as the current ones are yourself, ThisCat, and our Thormentor, though. :P

(Artificially bloating my post count? Perish the thought!)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15