Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411074 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14790 on: March 31, 2016, 05:52:29 PM »
Hmm. Maybe.  I suppose it depends on how they're brought up, too.

That's a thing as well. I've only mostly ever had this problem with male housemates, and a lot of it I think is that a lot of people still don't bother to train boys to do a fair share of the housework. :-\
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14791 on: March 31, 2016, 06:41:43 PM »
Ooh! A handfasting? What kind, if I may ask?

To be honest I'm not entirely sure! I'll have to report back.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #14792 on: March 31, 2016, 06:56:50 PM »
It's nice to have news from you. Good luck for job hunting ! :)
Thanks, it's going to take a lot of luck. I've missed the forum.
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14793 on: March 31, 2016, 08:23:46 PM »
Dancing Ranger, I'm glad you're still about! And best of luck with the job.

Lazy8: I'd agree about the male/female thing, generally. Only female housemate with whom I ever had such a problem was one who had been raised as Daddy's Precious Princess and was a little crazy anyway. It's part of why I taught my boys and my girls both to cook, shop, do housework and basic domestic repairs, and it has served them all well.

As I may have mentioned elsewhere, two things that got me working on the basic cookery book I'm trying to write were, firstly, my older son's experience when he first moved out of home and was sharing a house with a group of other young men. He was appalled to find that of a group of five guys in their early twenties, he was the only one who knew how to shop to a budget, buy fresh produce and construct a meal therefrom, clean a kitchen and change a lightbulb or a fuse. Oh, and make a bed!

The other thing was a project I got roped into, many years ago, by a friend who was a social worker. Adelaide, the big city nearest to where I now live, has one old wealthy suburb, centred around an old and prestigious boys' school, which has one very odd statistic: in all Australia, it is the council area that has the highest number of widowers in proportion to the population. No idea why, but suspect it may come down to men who have been pampered, supported and cared for all their lives - it's a very rich suburb.

So, all these guys in their sixties, seventies, eighties, who had never made so much as a cup of tea or a piece of toast in their entire lives, suddenly having to do for themselves - I'm sure you can imagine! Most of them came from the sort of background where as children their households had a stay-at-home mum and also generally a housekeeper, often other servants as well. Then they went to University, where they lived in and were waited on, or into the military as officer class, ditto. Then married and had a stay-at-home wife, and still possibly servants. Then their wives died, and suddenly there they were, with no idea how the kettle worked or where their missus had kept the tea and sugar, never mind how to construct a simple meal.

Enter the rescuers. For a couple of months we took these guys shopping, explained about budgeting (not that that was a concern for most of them, but it was for a few), how to choose food, how much you needed, basic food hygiene (put it in the fridge, learn to clean the fridge), how to construct a cheese and tomato sandwich or a simple salad, how to cook fish, how to tell if food is fresh, how to wash dishes (yes, really). All that stuff. For many of them it was a coping and independence strategy, and I think for some it was quite literally life-saving.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #14794 on: March 31, 2016, 08:34:01 PM »
As I may have mentioned elsewhere, two things that got me working on the basic cookery book I'm trying to write were, firstly, my older son's experience when he first moved out of home and was sharing a house with a group of other young men. He was appalled to find that of a group of five guys in their early twenties, he was the only one who knew how to shop to a budget, buy fresh produce and construct a meal therefrom, clean a kitchen and change a lightbulb or a fuse. Oh, and make a bed!

...I just realized that I haven't made my bed regularly since I was in high school and keeping the dorm rooms neat was a requirement. Then again, no one has to sleep in it or even look at it but me!
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

SilverTiger

• Preferred pronouns: they
« Reply #14795 on: April 01, 2016, 01:47:46 AM »
....hahaha, I wasn't sure where to put it but oh man this is a pretty funny April Fool's joke the forum is pulling on us. I don't like a lot of April Fool's shenanigans because often people don't know when to stop, but I can definitely appreciate this.

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #14796 on: April 01, 2016, 02:14:12 AM »
... welp, can't read anything on the forum today. see you tomorrow.
you'll know where to find me.

Unlos

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14797 on: April 01, 2016, 02:27:06 AM »
But we must figure out the code, testing o f and cle an Mikkel Mikkel Yes that's two
Whe n Emil, all right I know I can just quote the posts they apparater but guessing is more fun ;D
S o so
Fro m from
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 02:33:50 AM by Unlos »

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14798 on: April 01, 2016, 02:27:26 AM »
... welp, can't read anything on the forum today. see you tomorrow.

Yeahhh this is kinda bugging the heck outta me, but I mean, I guess it's supposed to? ¯\_(°_o)_/¯

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

SilverTiger

• Preferred pronouns: they
« Reply #14799 on: April 01, 2016, 02:46:00 AM »
Pre tty and wh en are both Emil

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14800 on: April 01, 2016, 03:17:25 AM »
The replacement of words with character names IS an All Fools Day joke, right? Viola? Eriaror? Who else might have done it?

By the way, it is funny!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #14801 on: April 01, 2016, 03:40:32 AM »
I was so confused about people throwing SSSS names into their posts, but then I saw someone quote me and it had a name in it, then I realized it was past midnight!  Happy April Fool's Day!  :))
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #14802 on: April 01, 2016, 04:36:03 AM »
Okay, this one is my favorite...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #14803 on: April 01, 2016, 07:56:05 AM »
This is so bizarre...

I found a good one, though:

Very trustworthy, indeed :P
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #14804 on: April 01, 2016, 12:52:34 PM »
Aw, the word changing seems to have stopped for me? I was actually sort of enjoying it. :P And I never got to figure out what the secondary word was for Tuuri, though I got all the rest.
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05: