Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387244 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14730 on: March 29, 2016, 02:13:51 AM »
Mount Barker in SA has an awesome yearly Scottish fest, also a big yearly weekend fest for steam driven machinery; there used to be a big German beerfest in Hahndorf which has now been moved to Adelaide, also yearly; a big Cornish-culture festival, the Lowender Kernewek, including the Cornish Gorsedd, up in the Copper Towns every two years; and also in that area, around Kapunda, a big Celtic music festival every year. And of course the English Ale, a pagan festival with lots of Morris dancing and a huge torchlit parade with Giants and guisers and a big Druid gathering most years in late May. Several of these events which involve me are in May, so that's why I tend to drop off the edge a bit each May -I'm way busy!

Adelaide and environs also have a lot of arts, music, literary and drama festivals, and the folk festivals every few years, but I rarely get to those.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14731 on: March 29, 2016, 02:49:43 AM »
Hmmm, for Iceland the only Medieval Fair I can think of is the annual Medieval festival held at Fjörukráin in Hafnarfjörður. This year it'll be 16-19 June and there's usually all kinds of activities all day long, battle shows, tents selling handmade artifacts, food tents (usually not very good for vegetarians I'm afraid), music, activities for children such as throwing axes and archery. Lots of people dressed up, those that come from the local Medieval group are quite authentic because their clothes follow a guide on how Medieval clothes should look like and/or are pre-approved. For visitors and people not in the club there's no rules to how "correct" the clothes need to be, however.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #14732 on: March 29, 2016, 03:05:14 AM »
There's a Medieval Fair (or possibly 'Fayre') here in Perth each year. I've been a few times but it's generally nothing much to write home about. They hold it at the Supreme Court Gardens which is essentially a big open field with very little shade and it's been stupidly hot each time I've gone, so it hasn't been a great experience.

Also the re-enactment scene isn't very big in Perth so they let just about anyone historical in - not that I mind having ancient Romans tramping around the place, but they're hardly medieval.

Mind you, I did pick up some nice arrow heads (for ornamental purposes, I'm no archer) the last time, so it wasn't a complete loss.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #14733 on: March 29, 2016, 06:00:45 AM »
To celebrate the oncoming spring the weather gods have decided to dump a whole lot of snow down here this morning. Thank you Iceland, I did miss home while I was home but I wasn't exactly craving an authentic Icelandic weather change.

*sigh*
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14734 on: March 29, 2016, 07:38:10 AM »
Siiiigh all of those medieval fairs sound awesome. Well, maybe I'll be able to go to something like that some day...

Laufey if you don't want your snow, you can send it here. I actually don't want it either, but we need it. Not enough precipitation this winter, which means the summer will probably be a smokey one. Again. x_x
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

IKEA

« Reply #14735 on: March 29, 2016, 05:00:35 PM »
Radiohead is doing a world tour? With a new album imminent? PLAYING AT THE GARDEN? WOOOOT!
Tickets sold out in 1 minute to scalpers? ...crap.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14736 on: March 29, 2016, 05:02:12 PM »
Radiohead is doing a world tour? With a new album imminent? PLAYING AT THE GARDEN? WOOOOT!
Tickets sold out in 1 minute to scalpers? ...crap.

1 minute? That's a new record then. Even Kate Bush lasted 15 minutes!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #14737 on: March 29, 2016, 07:13:29 PM »
So I have one housemate who completely fails at washing his dishes. In particular his silverware.

I have tried asking nicely. Multiple times.

I have tried sending an email. This one was rather more impatient in tone.

Finally today I got home, found pretty much all of the cutlery still in the sink, snapped, and went into full-on passive-aggressive mode. Washed all of the dirty cutlery in the sink, left one spoon, one fork, and one kitchen knife, wrapped the rest up in a towel and hid it in an undisclosed location, because that is exactly what it is like for me when all I want to do is eat my breakfast and every last spoon in the house is dirty.

I have no idea whether this will actually help. But somehow it is still so much more satisfactory.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14738 on: March 29, 2016, 07:17:04 PM »
So I have one housemate who completely fails at washing his dishes. In particular his silverware.

Finally today I got home, found pretty much all of the cutlery still in the sink, snapped, and went into full-on passive-aggressive mode. Washed all of the dirty cutlery in the sink, left one spoon, one fork, and one kitchen knife, wrapped the rest up in a towel and hid it in an undisclosed location, because that is exactly what it is like for me when all I want to do is eat my breakfast and every last spoon in the house is dirty.

I have no idea whether this will actually help. But somehow it is still so much more satisfactory.

>.< That's evil! Harsh, but fair in that situation. >:D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14739 on: March 29, 2016, 07:19:02 PM »

Ok I have to know how this turns out. Please promise you will tell how it turns out. *sits on the edge of her seat*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Athena

« Reply #14740 on: March 29, 2016, 07:20:03 PM »
Ok I have to know how this turns out. Please promise you will tell how it turns out. *sits on the edge of her seat*

Same. *grabs popcorn and waits patiently*

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #14741 on: March 29, 2016, 07:22:21 PM »
>.< That's evil! Harsh, but fair in that situation. >:D

Evil? It's one of the kindest effective responses I've ever seen to this type of situation. I've seen people putting dirty dishes in the bathroom or dirt off the floor in people's beds to get similar messages across.

Athena

« Reply #14742 on: March 29, 2016, 07:24:23 PM »
Evil? It's one of the kindest effective responses I've ever seen to this type of situation. I've seen people putting dirty dishes in the bathroom or dirt off the floor in people's beds to get similar messages across.

:o Wow. That would be fun to witness..

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #14743 on: March 29, 2016, 07:27:35 PM »
:o Wow. That would be fun to witness..

Not really. I've been on both ends of this (I normally pull my weight in a household but when the depression gets serious it can interfere), and it's never fun. Just frustrating all around.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #14744 on: March 29, 2016, 07:31:13 PM »

Someone I knew lived with this one girl and they cooked dinner and didn't wash her pots so she took all her cooking stuff and locked it in her room, and then they realized that they didn't have any pots and so they had to ask her permission every time they wanted to cook something.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:41:46 AM by Feartheviolas »
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help