Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409995 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1500 on: November 17, 2014, 11:35:55 AM »
*Jumpsin*

Back again. Had a lot of fun this weekend. Nothing is better than leaving work, driving for up to seven hours with public transport and then start to have 48 hours of pure fun, including games like "kill the hippies" (remembered me how many people standing near to me are able to recite more out of the bible than some fundamentalistic people I met) and "cards against humanity". There was not enough time for zombiecide though, but much room for discussing several things and not getting into an arguement in spite of having fundamentally diverging oppinions. As we had a great kitchen for cooking we ate well. We had to cook in shifts but the result was awesome. Also I discovered I am still able to live without the internet for some time. I really enjoyed it and though I lacked many hours of sleep (I'm not sure how I survived my time at university, 48 hours without any sleep seemed to be no problem on the look back), this weekend worked fine on my spirits.

Hope your start into this week was nice as well. Nimphy your description of your first theatre lesson is really nice! I attended to a similar class in sixth grade but this was not really fun as they did no free practice but always stuck to acting out different roles so the next play would be safe and nice. The focus was on classic play with no free interpretation. Though I like watching plays done like that, attanding was no fun at all with all those rules and strict organisation.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1501 on: November 17, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »
Sooo, I just finished my first theatre "lesson". I skipped Mathematic Games Preparation just so I could attend it (such a sacrifice, huh?). When I got there I was almost sure I'd got it wrong, because everyone looked like they were on their fifth year, so I did the only logical thing and went into hiding. I mostly lurked around with an acquaintance of mine for a while, until the lesson begun. The director told us newbies a few things, complained for a good while about some guys leaving the group, and we had some pretty hilarious scenes.

Director: So let's see... You. I know you. You I know, you I know, you... Do I know you?
You1: nope
Director: Okay, so you I know, you I don't know...
You2: I've been here for three years!

A while later, we were asked to say our names, and the newbies should also tell if they had ever done theatre before

Director: You?
You1: [Name], and nope, never done anything before
Director: You?
You2: (same one as above) [Name]
Director: Ever done theatre before?
You2: *evil glare*

Then for some reason he left us with an hour still to go, and the older ones decided we would be playing bowling with giant rubber balls and people. Someone yelled that it was autogestione (basically when students do lessons by themselves). Someone else encouraged "Otello" (which happened to be You2) to catch all the balls thrown at him, and he did. Someone managed to hit me in the face. Then we newbies asked the veterans to play something for us, and the dialogue went more or less like "Yes, let us show the newbies something!" "What are we going to show them, we've lost half our crew! Are you gonna take all the male roles by yourself?" "Yes!" It was all very weird and funny.

Are you looking to get into acting? I must say I've never understood the appeal of acting out plays. I participated in an "executive reading" of a part of one of Shakespeare's plays when I took a course in English literature. To me most plays seem to have too little rather than too much drama (except maybe Coriolanus, that one is pure drama from start to end). I did watch a staged version of James Bond: Doctor No once though, that was exciting. I could probably have fun doing a play like that.

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1502 on: November 17, 2014, 11:46:14 AM »
Wait, there are theatre lessons? You guys over there sure have crazy stuff in your schools, I already knew that, but actual theatre lessons? My school time is over, so no envy here, also I joined an amateur theatre group that literally always managed to make a comedy somehow, even if tried very hard to stay serious...
But lessons? When there is more useless important stuff to learn? No thank you, sirs and madams!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:56:41 AM by Clayres »
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1503 on: November 17, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »
Wait, there are theatre lessons? You guys over there sure have crazy stuff in your schools, I already knew that, but actual theatre lessons? My school time is over, so no envy here, also I joined an amateur theatre group that literally always managed to make a comedy somehow, even if tried very hard to stay serious...
But lessons? When there is more useless important stuff to learn? No thank you, sirs and madams!

As written above, I was able to attend to some as well. In Rheinland-Pfalz as well as in Hessen both schools had acting lessons available. As I left university there have been studies for Gymanisum (type of secondary school)-teacher implemented so that they could learn teaching acting. In some primary schools it is available as well.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1504 on: November 17, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »
Are you looking to get into acting? I must say I've never understood the appeal of acting out plays. I participated in an "executive reading" of a part of one of Shakespeare's plays when I took a course in English literature. To me most plays seem to have too little rather than too much drama (except maybe Coriolanus, that one is pure drama from start to end). I did watch a staged version of James Bond: Doctor No once though, that was exciting. I could probably have fun doing a play like that.

I did some acting at elementary school, I liked it and I thought I'd try again. While I surely don't mind acting out plays (just getting to be someone else for a while is fantastic), apparently this theatre group mainly focuses on improvisation (lots of it), and when we do act a play we often have to write it by ourselves. That said, apparently last year they adapted Otello, so I'm sure we'll also be simply acting out stuff.

Not exactly lessons. The won't give out marks or anything, and it's not mandatory, but the school encourages students to do stuff like acting, sports, recreational mathematics and advanced IT. AFTER the normal lessons, of course. School ends, and we lurk around for an hour or two, then we go to our respective after-school activities. We have everything from a chorus, to two theatre groups, to volleyball, climbing and basketball. Apparently if you do them in the last three years these activities are also worth extra credit points.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1505 on: November 17, 2014, 12:07:28 PM »
As written above, I was able to attend to some as well. In Rheinland-Pfalz as well as in Hessen both schools had acting lessons available. As I left university there have been studies for Gymanisum (type of secondary school)-teacher implemented so that they could learn teaching acting. In some primary schools it is available as well.
With "over there" I meant "outside of Saxony". Should have been more specific, I guess...

Not exactly lessons. The won't give out marks or anything, and it's not mandatory, but the school encourages students to do stuff like acting, sports, recreational mathematics and advanced IT. AFTER the normal lessons, of course. School ends, and we lurk around for an hour or two, then we go to our respective after-school activities. We have everything from a chorus, to two theatre groups, to volleyball, climbing and basketball. Apparently if you do them in the last three years these activities are also worth extra credit points.
Extra credit points, huh? I sure could have used those. Well, ok, we got certificates at least, so long as we actually managed to get a representation done...

My primary school time was... meh... regarding variety of subjects, after-school activities (there were none), individual encouragement, all that stuff... I guess that was even before the "let's figure out what is possible"-phase...
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1506 on: November 17, 2014, 06:24:42 PM »
Worked an extra hour today so I can pick up packages on Thursday and Friday.  Hugh, not a fan of that, but it'll be worth it in a few days.  I'm gonna go play some farcry 3 cause I'm pretty much bushed right now.  Edit: biggest reason I'm so tired is that I forgot my medicine today.  Staying focused on (non-creative) work for 9 hours straight with ADD is murder... Just murderrrrr.

Also, we're almost at 10,000 posts total on the forum! 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:29:23 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1507 on: November 17, 2014, 06:35:27 PM »
Worked an extra hour today so I can pick up packages on Thursday and Friday.  Hugh, not a fan of that, but it'll be worth it in a few days.  I'm gonna go play some farcry 3 cause I'm pretty much bushed right now.  Edit: biggest reason I'm so tired is that I forgot my medicine today.  Staying focused on (non-creative) work for 9 hours straight with ADD is murder... Just murderrrrr.

Also, we're almost at 10,000 posts total on the forum!
Aw no! :( Farcry 3 and a toasty hot drink sound like just the ticket.
Maybe you could set a morning alarm/reminder on your phone so you don't forget? I had to set an alarm for every Monday afternoon saying "GO HOME" because I'd be in the library and forget the time until my parents were about to report me missing to the police :/

10,000 already! :O The forum's growing up *dabs away tear* ;3
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:37:51 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1508 on: November 17, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »
Aw no! :( Farcry 3 and a toasty hot drink sound like just the ticket.
Maybe you could set a morning alarm/reminder on your phone so you don't forget? I had to set an alarm for every Monday afternoon saying "GO HOME" because I'd be in the library and forget the time until my parents were about to report me missing to the police :/
Heh, no I normally remember. Today was a special circumstance but cause I left my water bottle in my car over the weekend, so I didn't have it this morning and it threw that one part of my routine off. I might set an alarm for dinner though... Or maybe that thing Nimphy mentioned in the language learning thread... Hmm.

I can't study in our library. It's an awesome library, with private rooms for groups that have walls made of marker boards, but I prefer the proximity of my desk, because noise doesn't bother me too much. Oooh, also, our library has a secret seventh floor that my roommate from last year discovered. He nabbed all the bean bags from the other floors (lit. All of them) and made a nest up there to study/sleep in over those looong studying nights.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1509 on: November 17, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »
Never liked farcry 3 despite how popular it seemed to be. For me it pretty much devolved into roadkill simulator 2013.

I'm spent. I've been working almost double the pace for the last 4 weeks trying to keep up with the crammed work schedule. Now I think I might be getting a tad feverish. Just one more week... If I get sick now I'll lose my mind.

I discovered a secret room in our library once. It contained a pair of pants and an empty bottle *cue x-files theme*

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1510 on: November 17, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »
I can't study in our library. It's an awesome library, with private rooms for groups that have walls made of marker boards, but I prefer the proximity of my desk, because noise doesn't bother me too much. Oooh, also, our library has a secret seventh floor that my roommate from last year discovered. He nabbed all the bean bags from the other floors (lit. All of them) and made a nest up there to study/sleep in over those looong studying nights.

Secret rooms in libraries are the best. Especially if they have bean bag nests.

I'm the opposite though, I can't study/ sleep if there's any noise around, even though I should really get used to it.

I'm spent. I've been working almost double the pace for the last 4 weeks trying to keep up with the crammed work schedule. Now I think I might be getting a tad feverish. Just one more week... If I get sick now I'll lose my mind.

Oh no! Stay wellll...you can make it thought one more week! I hope you get plenty of rest afterwards, though :(

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1511 on: November 17, 2014, 07:12:51 PM »
There are SEVEN FLoOrs?!?!?? I don't think I've actually been in a building with that many floors :/ let alone a hidden floor!
That sounds like the Chamber of Secret Beanbags! X'D the Art College library is empty most of the time, so I have the whole place to my self, which is nice because the main campus library is usually overcrowded with people waiting to get a seat :/ scary. The art school used to be jam factory, so there are huuuuuge minna-esque wooden beams in the walls and roof that you have to duck under :P and on hot days apparently jam starts to leak out of the walls O___O but it's a really nice cosy library. :3
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1512 on: November 17, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »
...and on hot days apparently jam starts to leak out of the walls O___O

You guys seem to have the most interesting libraries. Secret floors and walls that leak jam.  ???

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1513 on: November 17, 2014, 08:24:36 PM »
You guys seem to have the most interesting libraries. Secret floors and walls that leak jam.  ???

The library at my sister's college is nine floors and apparently has a doughnut hidden in a glass case somewhere that's been there for 34 years.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1514 on: November 17, 2014, 11:09:35 PM »
There are SEVEN FLoOrs?!?!?? I don't think I've actually been in a building with that many floors :/ let alone a hidden floor!
That sounds like the Chamber of Secret Beanbags! X'D the Art College library is empty most of the time, so I have the whole place to my self, which is nice because the main campus library is usually overcrowded with people waiting to get a seat :/ scary. The art school used to be jam factory, so there are huuuuuge minna-esque wooden beams in the walls and roof that you have to duck under :P and on hot days apparently jam starts to leak out of the walls O___O but it's a really nice cosy library. :3
Most of the floors are underground, for some reason.  I think ground floor is... well, there's a bridge on one side, and lower ground beneath, but I think the bridge is at the fourth floor, so 2, 1, and sort of 3 are underground.  His chamber of beanbags was destroyed by the elevator maintenance men, sadly.  The nest is no more.   Also, we have some weird people that hang out in the library.  Some of them aren't students, and they take computer seats and make a ruckus. 

I'd love it if we had a second, smaller library somewhere.  As it is, we have to reserve study rooms at least a day in advance if we want to use them.  That wooden beamy library sounds more up my alley than the concrete death fortress (with beanbags) that we have. 

The library at my sister's college is nine floors and apparently has a doughnut hidden in a glass case somewhere that's been there for 34 years.
College libraries are interesting, when they have a century or two's worth of weird people who went there in the past.
Feel free to PM.