Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2438014 times)

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1995 on: December 01, 2014, 11:07:13 PM »

Oh no! That's my chess style ;____;

I've traditionally gotten along better with adults than my peers, but now my peers are turning into adults, and my peers at work are already adults, and my world is turning upside-down.
I haven't done anything with my friends in a month and a half now... *sigh*  Any time I'm feeling up to it, everyone's busy, but when they want to hang out, I'm not feeling up to it.  It takes so long to recover from hangouts, though... 
I totally get the world up-turning thing. I was really thrown off in my first year at uni when I had 40-50 year olds asking to copy my lecture notes o___o
My friends all have "grown up" jobs at the local council, modeling, navy, museum etc while I'm just "haha drawing what is 'future'" which is ok when you talk to older people because they're like "ah, you're still young..." But with adult friends it's like "dude, you're a failure" :( and if you don't fit in with your local age group it sucks and it's so exhausting.
It's like: get home, flop on bed, cry and swear never to socialize again...then get really lonely and the cycle begins again! :P
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #1996 on: December 01, 2014, 11:16:06 PM »
I totally get the world up-turning thing. I was really thrown off in my first year at uni when I had 40-50 year olds asking to copy my lecture notes o___o
My friends all have "grown up" jobs at the local council, modeling, navy, museum etc while I'm just "haha drawing what is 'future'" which is ok when you talk to older people because they're like "ah, you're still young..." But with adult friends it's like "dude, you're a failure" :( and if you don't fit in with your local age group it sucks and it's so exhausting.
It's like: get home, flop on bed, cry and swear never to socialize again...then get really lonely and the cycle begins again! :P
The problem with society is that it forces some weird standards, which aren't anymore (or ever were) relevant and effective, like: "You must have this this and that", "You must work every day from 8 to 16", "You must get real job™" and etc. For me i have done kinda opposite than what the society wants, going with my own projects and such.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:18:47 PM by Oskutin »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1997 on: December 01, 2014, 11:36:29 PM »
My mother is a career counselor and a big fan of the Myers-Briggs test.  She's typed all of us in the family.
I am an ENFP -- sometimes an INFP depending on my mood the day I took the test.  I am very strongly a Perceiver rather than a Judger:  a great improviser but not good at planning ahead, willing to be fluid about making plans.  Which is helpful if somebody you know has opera tickets they can't use at the last minute, but definitely unhelpful for all those things that require advanced planning -- you know, paying bills on time...
I am also pretty strongly an iNtuiter rather than a Senser. 

I've definitely shifted on the I-to-E spectrum over the years to much more extroverted.  Part of this is circumstances; now that I'm unemployed (er, ah, "consulting") and spending a lot of time at home, I really feel the need for human contact. 

When I worked at a tech startup in S.F., the "human capital development" department had everybody take the Myers-Briggs.  Unsurprisingly for this inbred little ivory-tower company full of Ph.D. linguists, attorneys, and software engineers (I was the least educated person there), nearly everyone was an INTJ or INTP.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1998 on: December 01, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »
The problem with society is that it forces some weird standards, which aren't anymore (or ever were) relevant and effective, like: "You must have this this and that", "You must work every day from 8 to 16", "You must get real job™" and etc. For me i have done kinda opposite than what the society wants, going with my own projects and such.
Hmm, "farming isn't relevant," "you must be simple," "not wearing skirts and dresses isn't feminine or pretty," "not wearing make up means you don't care about your appearance or boys," "what's wrong with you? You've never had a boyfriend?" "No wonder boys don't like you," "not doing those aforementioned things means you're a lesbian," "wait you're not gay?? But the stereotypes can't be wrong!" (Why does so much of it have to be about boys and relationships??  :o)"Country folk are so backwards, glad I don't know any--oh crap," "the way you ignored that person was nothing short of rude!" "What? You want a job you enjoy? Grow up honey.." Blah blee bloo blah

"You're never serious!"
"I can be serious, but I don't like it and you wouldn't like it either. HeeHEE." :/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:45:07 PM by OrigamiOwl »

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #1999 on: December 01, 2014, 11:43:53 PM »

Aww.  I've been there and I sympathize.  But it does get better as you get older and your scope and powers expand.  Really.  I sometimes think someone should borrow from Dan Savage's It Gets Better campaign for LGBT teenagers to reassure all kinds of young people, especially geekish ones, that while life may suck now, wider horizons are ahead.

As for socializing per se, it's a learned skill and can be practiced like any other.  It also takes experimenting to find the *kind* of socializing that suits you, just like the amount and type of food and exercise it takes to keep you on an even keel. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #2000 on: December 01, 2014, 11:54:13 PM »
Hmm, "farming isn't relevant," "you must be simple," "not wearing skirts and dresses isn't feminine or pretty," "not wearing make up means you don't care about your appearance or boys," "what's wrong with you? You've never had a boyfriend?" "No wonder boys don't like you," "not doing those aforementioned things means you're a lesbian," "wait you're not gay?? But the stereotypes can't be wrong!" (Why does so much of it have to be about boys and relationships??  :o)"Country folk are so backwards, glad I don't know any--oh crap," "the way you ignored that person was nothing short of rude!" "What? You want a job you enjoy? Grow up honey.." Blah blee bloo blah

"You're never serious!"
"I can be serious, but I don't like it and you wouldn't like it either. HeeHEE." :/

Honey, I think you've just provided the lyrics for a whole alterna-country-rock-punk-shoegazer album!  Lorde was so 2013 -- I think it's Australia's turn to provide a voice for the young, smart, and disaffected.  (As long as you don't become Australia's answer to Sylvia Plath, because although she wrote brilliantly about being young, smart, female, and disaffected, what happened to her wasn't good...)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #2001 on: December 02, 2014, 12:15:35 AM »
Huzzah!  Y'all have made this an entertaining 3 months for me!
Sadly, our 300th member was a traitor (a bot).  We're still at a lonesome 299.

No!  Shocoben has now made it 300 *real* members.

THIS!  IS!  SPARTA! (Badass roar of agreement)

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2002 on: December 02, 2014, 12:26:45 AM »
No!  Shocoben has now made it 300 *real* members.

THIS!  IS!  SPARTA! (Badass roar of agreement)
*balloons and confetti fly everywhere*

Yeah!!! 8D

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2003 on: December 02, 2014, 12:45:53 AM »
*balloons and confetti fly everywhere*

Yeah!!! 8D

Woohoo!! ;D

*disco ball appears out of the ceiling, accompanied by party music*

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2004 on: December 02, 2014, 12:49:58 AM »

"You're never serious!"
That stops eventually.  There are definitely different stigmas associated with young men and women who haven't been in a relationship, but it does stop eventually either way.  As a guy who's been looking for a relationship, and hasn't found one, it gets depressing sometimes, though.  I can't stand it when people get judgmental.   
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2005 on: December 02, 2014, 12:59:00 AM »
That stops eventually.  There are definitely different stigmas associated with young men and women who haven't been in a relationship, but it does stop eventually either way.  As a guy who's been looking for a relationship, and hasn't found one, it gets depressing sometimes, though.  I can't stand it when people get judgmental.
Aw, is it that you're worried to introduce yourself as being interested, or they don't return your interests? Or you haven't found anyone you're interested in? Or are you in the "what is the rome-ants?¿" category? (I'm in that category X'D) That sounds like it would suck. :/
Why would people be judgmental?  :-\ (of a single guy, that is)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:02:20 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2006 on: December 02, 2014, 01:11:51 AM »
Aw, is it that you're worried to introduce yourself as being interested, or they don't return your interests? Or you haven't found anyone you're interested in? Or are you in the "what is the rome-ants?¿" category? (I'm in that category X'D) That sounds like it would suck. :/
Why would people be judgmental?  :-\ (of a single guy, that is)
'Little bit of everything.  I'm cautious, which makes me nervous about expressing interest, which makes me seem unconfident, which is bad.  Plus, I'm not much of a conversationalist, and I'm not very romantic.  Also, most of the girls at my school are... well, beautiful, I'll give them that but uh... stupid.  Like, very stupid.  They're the ones who only want one thing.  (Edit: I should elaborate.  These are girls in pre-med and engineering, mostly, so they're not stupid, but they do stupid stuff and have no self control.) 
The only girl I've met at uni who I was really interested in, my friend was interested in, too (this has happened far too much to me; it's ridiculous).  I always defer in that situation, because I've known my friends longer and I care about them. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:18:09 AM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2007 on: December 02, 2014, 01:23:28 AM »
'Little bit of everything.  I'm cautious, which makes me nervous about expressing interest, which makes me seem unconfident, which is bad.  Plus, I'm not much of a conversationalist, and I'm not very romantic.  Also, most of the girls at my school are... well, beautiful, I'll give them that but uh... stupid.  Like, very stupid.  They're the ones who only want one thing. 
The only girl I've met at uni who I was really interested in, my friend was interested in, too (this has happened far too much to me; it's ridiculous).  I always defer in that situation, because I've known my friends longer and I care about them.
Haha, I had a mental image of all the girls standing around in school corridors dressed à la Mean Girls with vacant, spaced-out eyes going "duuuuhhhhh...." Like Vogue zombies, with you hiding behind a locker with a shotgun going "there's no escape...tell sniper-mum I loved herrrrrrr!" And making a dash for class X'D oh dear...*realises weird humor probably isn't called for...* :/

Don't your friends ever say "hey Eich, there's a cutie at the cafeteria" or whatever boys say...? Unless that whole concept is tv fakery O___O

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2008 on: December 02, 2014, 01:41:18 AM »
Woah. There is always happening so much here overnight. As breakfast is over I like to add to the personalities discussion about on of the Questions there:
 "You are usually the first to react to a sudden event, such as
the telephone ringing or unexpected question"

A clear Yes, though at home as well as at work it is only, because we all try hard to sit it out and mostly I'm the one who's fast enough to grab the call before it dies completely. I think neither Jung nor Briggs considered this type of behavior...
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #2009 on: December 02, 2014, 04:04:47 AM »
Funny facts: in Helsinki the sun was visible for only 13 hours through November, 10 hours of that during the first two weeks. So from 15th to 30th November the good people of Helsinki could enjoy a total of two hours of sunlight.

Bloody climate change...

Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn