Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2434746 times)

Hrollo

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16965 on: January 14, 2017, 06:57:20 PM »
A tiny hobby I have is to notice similarities in film soundtrack.

That is, because the music of a film is often made after the film has already been directed and edited, it is not rare to use "temp tracks", temporary music that fills the space and is supposed to give an idea of how the music will be. Then the "real" soundtrack is composed and put in place. Some directors will have very precises instructions to their composer about how the music should sound, but some will just say "make me something that sounds like the temp track".

Which of course can be quite a curse for the composer that has to make something that is very similar but not identical to already existing music. This has in some cases resulted in the composer and/or director actually giving up on the idea and just using the temp tracks as the final soundtrack (the most famous example of this happening is 2001: A Space Odyssey).

But often this will results in music where, if you know what the temp track was, you can clearly tell it's based on it. Now of course it varies by composer and some are more or less good at navigating this problem (James Horner was for instance notorious for reusing the same 4 notes "danger" motif taken from a Rachmaninoff piece in almost all the soundtrack he composed).

For recent movies this can be fairly blatent, because they often use as temp track music from *other recent films* (there are many movies released in recent year where you can tell the temp tracks were taken from "The Dark Knight" or "Inception").

But for older movies the temp tracks can be much more obscure and thus much harder to "reconstruct" from the final sountrack. So I always find it fun when I find one of those.

Today's find was pretty neat.

Exhibit A, the soundtrack of the 1984 film Dune
(listen from 3 minutes 17 second to 3 minutes 43 seconds roughly)

Exhibit B, the soundtrack of the 1948 film adaptation of Hamlet
(listen from 10 minutes onward)

I feel it's really fun to find these completely obscure correspondences.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16966 on: January 14, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »
Anyone else seen the new trailer for the next Legend of Zelda game?

I am so hyper right now.  ^-^

I have now.

This game cannot come out soon enough. Even if I have to buy a new console for it, I will have it.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #16967 on: January 14, 2017, 11:44:41 PM »

So... pumped...!!!

On an unrelated note, apparently at work we changed over to a "winter schedule". But my boss never actually explained what that means. So Monday he called me at 6:50 to tell me we were closing at 6 (why couldn't he have just done that an hour earlier?). So I assumed we were just closing an hour early everyday, but yesterday he told me that was only for Monday? (though he was prolly just referring to the "closing at 6") And then today he called me at 6:54 to say we close at 7. Which would have been fine and dandy... except I had no ride. My ride was expecting to pick me up at 8. It ended up taking almost half an hour for me to be picked up. So I just want to know: what, exactly, is this new schedule we have moved to. Because I don't understand it. Which days close when so I know when I need to get picked up. When do you want me to close the store. That is kind of important for me to know.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #16968 on: January 15, 2017, 01:06:14 AM »
...apparently it is possible to feel phantom vibrations when you don't even have a phone in your pocket.

What even, brain?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #16969 on: January 15, 2017, 07:10:44 AM »
Lazy8 > the brain is good at picking patterns. If it expects something to happen often (like your phone vibrating), then it will specifically look out for sign of it happening, so as to avoid being surprised by it. But it looks so hard for the signs that often it will end up with false positives, it will interpret "noise" (random meaningless data) as a sign of the thing and so will fire up all the circuits associated with the sensation, hence the very real impression that your phone has vibrated in your pocket in spite of not even being there.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16970 on: January 15, 2017, 07:55:24 AM »
Heads up to the filksingers, folkies, SF convention folk and SCAdians among the fandom, letting you know that John Packer has died. Anyone who knew him and needs details of the funeral, PM me. He will be sorely missed.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #16971 on: January 15, 2017, 09:07:37 AM »

*makes undecipherable excited animal noises*
I'll have to miss out on this one for the first year. Won't have time to play it with school and everything so that really sucks, but damn I am going to own this game one day. And I am going to play the living daylight out of it.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #16972 on: January 16, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »
apparently at work we changed over to a "winter schedule". But my boss never actually explained what that means. [...] So I assumed we were just closing an hour early everyday, but yesterday he told me that was only for Monday? [...] So I just want to know: what, exactly, is this new schedule we have moved to. Because I don't understand it. Which days close when so I know when I need to get picked up. When do you want me to close the store. That is kind of important for me to know.
Give your boss my regards, I may not ever have the proximity to become an actual customer of his shop, but I sure have an opinion on shops that don't have that exact information displayed clearly right in some window or on a sign.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #16973 on: January 17, 2017, 05:18:16 AM »
Just went another round with The Bureaucracy. It'll be a wonder if I have time to get any actual work done in between the paperwork - or if I get all the paperwork done before it's time for me to leave the country. *bangs head against wall*

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #16974 on: January 18, 2017, 05:36:17 PM »
For some reason my Spanish teacher decided to have half of our midterm a week early because it's "too long" to have it all next week even though I'm pretty sure literally no other teacher has had this problem. We have set hours to take each test, I thought it was school policy that that was what the timing was. So yay, now I need to memorize a ton of vocab and grammar rules for tomorrow and Friday. : P

JoB, if the new scheduleis hung up somewhere, it hasn't been pointed out to me. We had our normal schedule hung up in a window (It fell down earlier this week and, while still visible, is no longer in the best position. We still have to get that fixed.) but I don't know what exactly are all the changes to the schedule now. Thanks though, your comment helped me feel a little less crazy about this.

Lazy8, wishing you the best! I can't say I know what it's like to deal with that, but it really does not sound fun and I hope it all gets sorted out quickly and with limited additional trouble.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #16975 on: January 19, 2017, 04:58:29 AM »
Hour long cab ride in a traffic jam, constant jerky starting and stopping making me feel like I was going to be sick, followed by an hour long cb ride back, all to turn in one single measly piece of paper.

BUREAUCRACY!

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #16976 on: January 20, 2017, 01:59:30 AM »
Woohoo! Sweden's population just hit 10 million right now!
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16977 on: January 20, 2017, 10:13:36 AM »

Only a little over NYC!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

yung_chrysanthemum

« Reply #16978 on: January 20, 2017, 01:46:15 PM »
I just saw an image of a protestor who was pepper-sprayed right outside where I used to live in Washington DC (moved a few weeks ago). You could have moved the camera frame just a little bit and it would have shown my building.

Pretty surreal...

*makes undecipherable excited animal noises*
I'll have to miss out on this one for the first year. Won't have time to play it with school and everything so that really sucks, but damn I am going to own this game one day. And I am going to play the living daylight out of it.

Looking pretty great!!! Curious to see where this fits in the overall timeline... I'm seeing lots of callbacks to Ocarina of Time / Wind Waker
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:51:59 PM by yung_chrysanthemum »
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16979 on: January 20, 2017, 03:00:41 PM »

Congratulations! :D

Only a little over NYC!

Huh, that really puts things into perspective.