Author Topic: Wiki discussion  (Read 53275 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Wiki discussion
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »
I've been watching the edits all weekend as well and other than you adding Nav boxes and [...] working on the Oresund Bridge article, we haven't had much going on.
Hm. Guess I should stop not using psychoactive substances, then. ???

Other topic: After seeing KenoSarawas "location" infobox, I stewed up a "person" infobox, somewhat adapted to the kind of data we typically have for SSSS characters but adaptable to cover real-world persons as well. I made some samples and also edited it into Onnis page and my profile to show what it does. Before I carpet-bomb the character pages with it, is there something y'all'ld like added or changed?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »
Hm. Guess I should stop not using psychoactive substances, then. ???

Other topic: After seeing KenoSarawas "location" infobox, I stewed up a "person" infobox, somewhat adapted to the kind of data we typically have for SSSS characters but adaptable to cover real-world persons as well. I made some samples and also edited it into Onnis page and my profile to show what it does. Before I carpet-bomb the character pages with it, is there something y'all'ld like added or changed?

Looks great to me - could you perhaps change the abbreviations in the languages section with flags?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »
I agree with Nimpy about the flags!

Also, if these go ahead, should we take out the information in the body of the text that's already covered in the info box?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

JoB

« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2014, 01:17:49 PM »
could you perhaps change the abbreviations in the languages section with flags?
The respective input field of the template accepts Wikitext, so if you type in the corresponding code, you can have images appear as well. For example, I just changed the languages field's setting on my profile to
Code: [Select]
| languages     = DE, EN, FR, [[File:Example.jpg|30px|link=File:Example.jpg|alt=gibberish]](... aaaand the "alt=" part plain doesn't work. :( )

Providing a means to not force people to type all that stuff is even more complicated, for a host of reasons:
  • First and foremost, that requires an exhaustive collection of flag images to be retrieved and uploaded to the wiki --> copyright issues. (Not to mention eternal whining if a language is spoken in several nations and each wants to see its own flag shown.)
  • Always keep in mind that we have to allow lists (actually sets, says the mathematician ;) ) of languages. Mediawiki's string parsing capabilities (to break the input into single languages) are somewhat problematic.
  • Last not least, there's the possibility of someone making a typo or entering a language we do not yet have a flag for --> broken image icon, 'cause the text parser probably cannot know whether the target image is available or not ...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 01:19:43 PM by JoB »
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2014, 05:04:21 PM »
  • First and foremost, that requires an exhaustive collection of flag images to be retrieved and uploaded to the wiki --> copyright issues. (Not to mention eternal whining if a language is spoken in several nations and each wants to see its own flag shown.)
OK, seems that Wiki[pm]edia usually have countries' flags put under permissive licenses (often in the Public Domain) and offer 200px PNG versions (that we would have to shrink further, like, to 20x15 or 30x22). All "flat" and rectangular, of course.

Then there's commercially available sets with embellished design, but I guess we would still have to upload them to Wikia manually one by one ...

JoB

« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »
I agree with Nimpy about the flags!
Bomb run done, with flags, and also with making some of the in-table captions into links to appropriate wiki pages.

Turns out that I can shoehorn "|" into template code using the "!" template, but not the ":" I'ld need to make the captions into direct links to category listings. I tried and made a "!!!" template, but it doesn't work; someone with admin powers please delete it. I worked around the problem by creating redirects to the three respective categories, and pointing the links to those.

Also, if these go ahead, should we take out the information in the body of the text that's already covered in the info box?
My .02: Doing so is likely to punch holes into the flow of the pre-existing text, so if and when it is done, a proper rewording is likely necessary; hence, I left the text unchanged while just dropping the infoboxes in every which direction. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to deduplicate, though. "Quick look at infobox for raw standard type of information" and "read through the entire text (but probably ignoring the delimited infobox)" are use modes different enough that one's content is unlikely to hamper the other.

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »
Haylo, as you can see, I have a measly one box under my name. Pray tell, how could I go about acquiring more?

JoB

« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2014, 10:56:34 PM »
Haylo, as you can see, I have a measly one box under my name. Pray tell, how could I go about acquiring more?
Not with the wiki
It's a forum only thing
Keep posting haikus ...

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2014, 12:44:52 AM »
Not with the wiki
It's a forum only thing
Keep posting haikus ...
Well played sir, well played
I shall attempt to do so
Haikus are awesome

JoB

« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »
Quick question while the Minna Sundberg page is still an orphan (not liked from anyplace else, short of the list of all pages): I uploaded a scan of the drawing Minna did of herself for the aRTD book, but I'm still hesitating. She seems to be going out of her way to not put even that much onto her own comic websites. D'y'all think we should better have that image removed again?

Nimphy

« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2014, 02:07:14 PM »
Quick question while the Minna Sundberg page is still an orphan (not liked from anyplace else, short of the list of all pages): I uploaded a scan of the drawing Minna did of herself for the aRTD book, but I'm still hesitating. She seems to be going out of her way to not put even that much onto her own comic websites. D'y'all think we should better have that image removed again?

Despite how happy I am to have finally found a portrait of Minna, I think you should ask her first. By email, maybe, or by any means you want...

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2014, 02:43:25 PM »

She did put an actual picture of herself on her own web page. I linked to that in an other thread but decided to delete it since, well, she seems to be reserved about these things so it's better to be safe than sorry.

A drawn portrait seems somewhat less touchy though.

JoB

« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2014, 03:12:11 PM »
Despite how happy I am to have finally found a portrait of Minna, I think you should ask her first. By email, maybe, or by any means you want...
I'll try by e-mail. Removed the image from the page, but I'm afraid it takes an admin to actually delete it from the wiki ...

(... same for the "!!!" template, which I created but couldn't get to function as intended ...)

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2014, 04:36:28 PM »
I'll try by e-mail. Removed the image from the page, but I'm afraid it takes an admin to actually delete it from the wiki ...

(... same for the "!!!" template, which I created but couldn't get to function as intended ...)

I can delete the !!! template - let me know about the drawing, and I can use my admin magic to banish it into the ether forever.

I do wonder though, where most of the info on that page came from? Minna seems to be rather reluctant to share personal details...
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Nimphy

« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »
I can delete the !!! template - let me know about the drawing, and I can use my admin magic to banish it into the ether forever.

I do wonder though, where most of the info on that page came from? Minna seems to be rather reluctant to share personal details...

She does let us in on bits of her personal life every now and then on the author's blog (see the recent stuff about banks, or her grandma's unfortunate death earlier on). Either of us can delete the drawing, but let's wait until Minna gives consensus/thinks the wiki was a horrible idea.

Also, some quick things:
- (Pssst, JoB, one of the English flags you uploaded is the United Kingdom's, not Great Britain's!) I'll change the description later - as far as I know GB doesn't even have a flag.
- Do we need an aRTD wikia, too? Because I don't see how aRTD could fit in the SSSS wikia, and there are a few references to it and even a page on the subject. Maybe later (and I'll probably leave the task of creating it to someone else), hmm?
- Is it just me, or did KenoSarawa stop editing the wikia?