Author Topic: Wiki discussion  (Read 53282 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: Wiki discussion
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2014, 02:27:52 AM »
Mixed opinions here too. They sure know their wiki coding, but giants category? We already have a monsters category. People? There's characters already! Plus, I constantly receive emails about edits, but none of them are actually adding something to the pages, and it's kind of annoying.

If everyone's okay, I'll start a little polishing by taking away the two above mentioned categories and editing some of the new pages.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2014, 02:34:14 AM »
Mixed opinions here too. They sure know their wiki coding, but giants category? We already have a monsters category. People? There's characters already! Plus, I constantly receive emails about edits, but none of them are actually adding something to the pages, and it's kind of annoying.

If everyone's okay, I'll start a little polishing by taking away the two above mentioned categories and editing some of the new pages.

Sounds good to me! Also, you or I could look through the Wanted Pages list and see if there are things there that maybe are already covered in other pages, so don't really need their own page - if they don't, remove the links to them from other pages.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Nimphy

« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2014, 02:55:49 AM »
Hydroelectric energy? Nokia? Isafjordur? Geothermal energy? This is supposed to be a wiki for SSSS, not Wikipedia! Nearly all the pages in there are about minor cities which maybe weren't even mentioned - do we really need that much useless information in the wiki?

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
Hydroelectric energy? Nokia? Isafjordur? Geothermal energy? This is supposed to be a wiki for SSSS, not Wikipedia! Nearly all the pages in there are about minor cities which maybe weren't even mentioned - do we really need that much useless information in the wiki?

Well, I guess we could lump them all together in a pre-rash Nordics article as a kind of introductory reader for people who have no clue about Nordic society.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2014, 06:14:10 PM »
We don't, that's why a good deal of those pages are still missing in the first place.

However, that doesn't mean that having links to them (i.e., redlinks) couldn't possibly serve a purpose. The "missing pages" are sorted by number of links for a reason, and in a couple instances, I've standardized page names I've found appearing in variants in that list (before ultimately creating the page and making it that more difficult to locate and correct the links to it).

(Also see the discussion ~23-Sep in this thread.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »
Different subtopic, separate post ... Nimphy, could you please elaborate on that new rule in the submission guide? What I "hear" it saying is that unless Minna herself draws (random example) a chart of which character outranks which, so that we can crop and upload it, the Wiki isn't allowed to have one, even if someone were to draw it from scratch with nothing but rectangles and lines and the characters' names typed into the boxes. Is that what you mean to say?
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Nimphy

« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2014, 05:04:46 AM »
Different subtopic, separate post ... Nimphy, could you please elaborate on that new rule in the submission guide? What I "hear" it saying is that unless Minna herself draws (random example) a chart of which character outranks which, so that we can crop and upload it, the Wiki isn't allowed to have one, even if someone were to draw it from scratch with nothing but rectangles and lines and the characters' names typed into the boxes. Is that what you mean to say?

Well, not... Exactly. I don't think that (random example) that great painting of Lalli by Lenny belongs in the wikia, but someone may actually decide to put it up there in his gallery. That's mostly what I meant by "only official art".

Also, wouldn't the example you listed be speculation? As long as we don't actually know which character outranks which, that would be information we invented ourselves - which kinda defeats the purpose of having a wiki for known information on the comic. While I loved the idea of a language chart (the one that illustrates which character can understand who), we don't KNOW if Braidy only speaks Icelandic, that's why I don't really like it in the wiki as the main image for that article, no less.

JoB

« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2014, 03:47:34 PM »
While I loved the idea of a language chart (the one that illustrates which character can understand who), we don't KNOW if Braidy only speaks Icelandic, that's why I don't really like it in the wiki as the main image for that article, no less.
Well that's easy enough to fix, I've kept interim versions so as to be able to correct for additional Braidy languages after the fact, anyway. I thought that the "fanart" statement was objecting to my using snippets of Minnas artwork to symbolize characters and languages ...

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »
I like how the Ă–resund Bridge article is shaping up, but it leads me to ask a question about spoilers - would the bridge breaking be considered a spoiler? How do we deal with these in the future, as the plot thickens and people might not want to know certain details if they just start reading? Should we put up spoiler warnings, or just try to stick to general information and leave the plot out of it?

EDIT: Nimphy, do you mind if I take the rules you wrote up and put them into their own page, rather than a blog post?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:26:56 PM by Solovei »

JoB

« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2014, 06:58:50 PM »
Should we put up spoiler warnings, or just try to stick to general information and leave the plot out of it?
You might want to check out the "Spoiler block" and "Spoiler text" templates here ...

EDIT: Nimphy, do you mind if I take the rules you wrote up and put them into their own page, rather than a blog post?
I added references between that blog post and the "Submission guide" page a while ago, assuming that the latter had already superseded the former ... ?

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »
I like how the Ă–resund Bridge article is shaping up, but it leads me to ask a question about spoilers - would the bridge breaking be considered a spoiler? How do we deal with these in the future, as the plot thickens and people might not want to know certain details if they just start reading? Should we put up spoiler warnings, or just try to stick to general information and leave the plot out of it?

I think we are just going to have to live with the fact that the wiki is a walking spoiler. Maybe put a warning on the frontpage that you shouldn't be there if you haven't read the whole thing, because it's pretty much unavoidable.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2014, 11:55:29 PM »
I think we are just going to have to live with the fact that the wiki is a walking spoiler. Maybe put a warning on the frontpage that you shouldn't be there if you haven't read the whole thing, because it's pretty much unavoidable.
As with almost every other wiki. 
The One Piece wiki spoiled so much for me, but I just couldn't help myself.  Now I know better, of course, but still... hard times.
Feel free to PM.

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »
As with almost every other wiki. 
The One Piece wiki spoiled so much for me, but I just couldn't help myself.  Now I know better, of course, but still... hard times.

That is still one of the better wikis out there, but yeah. Don't walk into the wiki of a 700 chapter story if you don't want to be spoiled.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

JoB

« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2014, 09:00:59 AM »
Uh ... what happened? I'ld swear I've seen more edits by KenoSarawa over the weekend, but right now none show up in the lists of recent changes anymore ... ?

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »
Uh ... what happened? I'ld swear I've seen more edits by KenoSarawa over the weekend, but right now none show up in the lists of recent changes anymore ... ?

Looking at the profile, their last edit was on the 24th... I've been watching the edits all weekend as well and other than you adding Nav boxes and someone (either you or Nimphy) working on the Oresund Bridge article, we haven't had much going on.