Author Topic: Wiki discussion  (Read 53281 times)

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
Re: Wiki discussion
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2014, 05:20:04 PM »
Should we eventually add pages on the paper versions of the books? I feel like we should, but I don't know. Something like "these are the books that have come out 'till now, this is what's in them and this is what they look like."

This also seems to belong in a general article about the comic.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »
Should we eventually add pages on the paper versions of the books? I feel like we should, but I don't know. Something like "these are the books that have come out 'till now, this is what's in them and this is what they look like."
Well, I already put a book-by-book superstructure on the detailed list of the comic's contents and I still think that the books would merit their own article(s) ...

(BTW 1: Does anyone have a good idea where to put links to that and the list of special pages? I'm not quite sure how to get them off the list of orphaned pages ...)

BTW 2: I put two posts about technical possibilities onto the wiki blog. Should I better post that kind of stuff over here?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2014, 06:25:18 PM »
Well, I already put a book-by-book superstructure on the detailed list of the comic's contents and I still think that the books would merit their own article(s) ...

(BTW 1: Does anyone have a good idea where to put links to that and the list of special pages? I'm not quite sure how to get them off the list of orphaned pages ...)

BTW 2: I put two posts about technical possibilities onto the wiki blog. Should I better post that kind of stuff over here?

The Table of Contents is great, but maybe a little long for spesific information, so yeah.
I was also thinking of adding a category called "about the comic" or "outside the 4th wall" or something for things like this.
And, yeah. Having all discussion in one place is probably better as long as it doesn't outgrow the thread too much.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

JoB

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2014, 06:46:19 PM »
I was also thinking of adding a category called "about the comic" or "outside the 4th wall" or something for things like this.
I introduced a category "Story, Plot Points, Artwork" today, specifically to have a category to put images like the chapter titles or the one of the V/S Þór?? gunning down the refugee ship into ...

Having all discussion in one place is probably better as long as it doesn't outgrow the thread too much.
Alright then, let me "move" the two main points here:
  • Firecrow91 and I have semi-honed a method how to insert accentless versions of keywords into articles without cluttering the page's human-visible text. The summed-up interim proposal would be to put something like the below HTML into the text (using the "Code" editor), and the possibility that still needs to be pinpointed is whether the editing experience can be improved by moving the CSS parts out of the actual page and into the global CSS sheets (that only the wiki's admins can touch, apparently).
  • Among the extensions that come preinstalled by Wikia is one that might be able to add clickable accented character "keys" to text-edit fields, for those who don't have them on their keyboards. Alas, the instructions are a tad lacking ...

Code: [Select]
<div style="height:0px; font-size:1pt; color: rgb(246,230,193); color: rgba(246,230,193,0.0);">(Accentless: Arni Thor Reynisson)</div>
(The RGB values should be kept matching our pages' standard background color, and "Arni Thor Reynisson" is the accentless version of the search term(s) we tested the whole thing with.)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2014, 03:01:05 AM »
Relating to the issue of having a page about the comic, I added some general info (update schedule, when the comic started, etc) to the front page a little while ago. I suppose as more information becomes available (and the books are released) we should add more.

Mostly my concern is driving traffic away from Minna's site (and hiveworks, I guess, I'm not sure exactly how it works with ad revenue and such) by having the wiki replicate too much of the stuff that's found on the comic's site... does that make sense?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
More wiki help?
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2014, 03:53:43 AM »
Hello, all.  I just made my first visit to the wiki and am very impressed.
Can you use an extra pair of hands?  I'm new to Wikia software, but I've used similar programs at work (and *once* did some editing to Wikipedia). 

I'm a writer/editor by trade, so I'm happy to make a proofreading pass over the pages and fix the occasional typo.... if you consider that a priority.  (I honed my standards in the marketing field, where literature touting million-dollar software packages had to be flawless.  But I realize labors of love like this may not call for such an obsessive-compulsive attitude.)

Or if there's a particular topic/type of resource where you think the wiki needs work, I'm happy to direct my energies there.  Just let me know at your leisure. 

BTW, I notice the wiki pages load quite slowly in my browser, especially when I have other windows open (e.g. a YouTube page playing music).  Might that have something to do with the streaming video ads on the page, or something else about Wikia?  Or is it just a coincidental problem with my (rather narrow) Web bandwidth?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

JoB

Re: More wiki help?
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2014, 05:36:14 AM »
Can you use an extra pair of hands?
IIUC Wikis, by choice, don't have a lot of tools to keep you out even if we wanted to ... ;)

BTW, I notice the wiki pages load quite slowly in my browser, especially when I have other windows open (e.g. a YouTube page playing music).  Might that have something to do with the streaming video ads on the page, or something else about Wikia?  Or is it just a coincidental problem with my (rather narrow) Web bandwidth?
Cannot say that I've seen a great many wikis, but Wikia does have a fair lot of doodads installed beyond the basic MediaWiki software. As far as I've seen the pages' HTML, there's far more bytes to be transferred for the menus, CSS etc. than for the actual content - not that that's entirely unkown from "web design" ...

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2014, 06:22:43 PM »
IIUC Wikis, by choice, don't have a lot of tools to keep you out even if we wanted to ... ;)

True.  I probably should have been more specific:  Is there any particular task/subject where you'd like more help?  The wiki looks great so far; maybe I should just hush and let your crew carry on...
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2014, 06:39:15 PM »
True.  I probably should have been more specific:  Is there any particular task/subject where you'd like more help?  The wiki looks great so far; maybe I should just hush and let your crew carry on...

We appreciate the help! So far I think we've kind of... wiki'd ourselves into a corner in that everything we know so far is represented fairly well. We'll have to wait until the start of Chapter 4 tomorrow (eeeeeeee so excited!) to see if there's anything that needs to be added...

Although, I've been thinking about putting together a guide on writing wiki articles... Like, how/when to link pages together, the style, sections you need to include... You and I can work on that together if you'd like?

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2014, 08:42:05 AM »
We appreciate the help! So far I think we've kind of... wiki'd ourselves into a corner in that everything we know so far is represented fairly well. We'll have to wait until the start of Chapter 4 tomorrow (eeeeeeee so excited!) to see if there's anything that needs to be added...

Although, I've been thinking about putting together a guide on writing wiki articles... Like, how/when to link pages together, the style, sections you need to include... You and I can work on that together if you'd like?

I saw that guide, mind if I add something or do you wish to do it yourself?

I had thought we'd wikied ourselves into a corner long ago, but strangely I kept receiving emails on all sorts of articles. I was thinking, as there are many cities which will probably not be important to the immediate plot, we could gather all the ones where our characters haven't been in just a page?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2014, 10:18:50 AM »
I saw that guide, mind if I add something or do you wish to do it yourself?

By all means! :) I don't mind.

JoB

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2014, 12:35:46 PM »
I had thought we'd wikied ourselves into a corner long ago, but strangely I kept receiving emails on all sorts of articles. I was thinking, as there are many cities which will probably not be important to the immediate plot, we could gather all the ones where our characters haven't been in just a page?
I wouldn't call it "into a corner" as much as "pretty much caught up" ...

The past week or so, I've been not so much creating new pages but fixing technicalities, taking the wiki's special pages (as "bookmarked" here) as starting points. I guess that's where the mails came from.

Concerning "less important" locations, what exactly would you want to write about them? If all that's desired is to have a list of them unless they have their own page, making them into "redlinks" on the respective country page - as they are right now - and looking at the corresponding special page does that rather well IMHO.

(And while we're discussing a style guide (haven't read that yet): IIUC making keywords where one thinks "that should become a page of its own eventually" into such redlinks is how people should implicitly maintain a content to-do list, isn't it?)

JoB

« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »
(And while we're discussing a style guide (haven't read that yet): [...])
P.S.: The part on (not) modifying images doesn't exempt resizing, which I've done sometimes with the purpose of complying to the "not too much detail" idea. OK or not?

(Next technicality on to-do list: Catch up with my uploaded images not having had their copyright statement set until I noticed that option recently.)

(Edit: Done. Weird. The magic on my user page says that the wiki has "396 pages (62 articles), 105 files, 1,066 edits, 23,610,834 users (11 active, 2 admins)", yet I got the "Lucky 2,000th Edit" badge ...)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:39:17 PM by JoB »

JoB

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »
Ummmmmhh I guess the "no editing" part means NOPE for this one ... ?

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2014, 01:47:42 PM »
Ummmmmhh I guess the "no editing" part means NOPE for this one ... ?

Oh, yeah, nope. I don't see why should we modify the comic itself, and it's not our decision to make.

Concerning "less important" locations, what exactly would you want to write about them? 

(And while we're discussing a style guide (haven't read that yet): IIUC making keywords where one thinks "that should become a page of its own eventually" into such redlinks is how people should implicitly maintain a content to-do list, isn't it?)

Nothing, that's it was it you writing the cities pages? I'm pretty sure it was you. As they're things that are not important to the comic in the immediate plot and stuff, I was thinking of having a cities list with information on eqch entry instead of having a page for each city (after all, a lot of them have only a few lines of text, because little info has been given).

Errr... Don't think so, but whatever. Do as you like, as long as they don't remain redlinks forever.

Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: