Author Topic: Wiki discussion  (Read 53280 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: Wiki discussion
« Reply #270 on: February 13, 2015, 08:42:01 PM »
select location, year, and month from drop-down menus, click the "go" button, and get sent to http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/denmark/copenhagen?month=11&year=2103 or whatever. It seems that such a feature would need an admin to setup and maintain. Would there be interest in that?

This is so awesome, I can't tell you.  Could we get an astronomical calendar like this one on the Fan-Forum as well?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #271 on: February 14, 2015, 01:03:29 AM »
I asked for technical advice on Community Central how to put a web form onto the wiki - namely, select location, year, and month from drop-down menus, click the "go" button, and get sent to http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/denmark/copenhagen?month=11&year=2103 or whatever. It seems that such a feature would need an admin to setup and maintain. Would there be interest in that?

It's a neat thing for sure, but I'm not sure how would be used on the wiki...? Could you explain it a bit more?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #272 on: February 14, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »
It's a neat thing for sure, but I'm not sure how would be used on the wiki...? Could you explain it a bit more?
a) I just notice that the city parameter isn't part of the URL's input part, so no way to accept that from a selector. >:(
b) Right now I don't have access to a web server I could put static HTML on. ??? Can you save the following quick demo in a *.html file and point your browser at it?

Code: [Select]
<HTML><BODY><FORM METHOD="GET" ACTION="http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/denmark/copenhagen">
        See sunrise/sunset etc. data for Copenhagen in
        <SELECT NAME="month">
                <OPTION VALUE="01">January</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="02">February</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="03">March</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="04">April</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="05">May</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="06">June</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="07">July</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="08">August</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="09">September</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="10">[turn of year]</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="10">October</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="11" SELECTED>November</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="12">December</OPTION>
        </SELECT>
        <SELECT NAME="year">
                <OPTION VALUE="2013">2013 (years -1/0)</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="2014">2014 (years 0/1)</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="2015">2015 (years 1/2)</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="2016">2016 (years 2/3)</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="2103" SELECTED>2103 (years 89/90)</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="2104">2104 (years 90/91)</OPTION>
        </SELECT>
        <INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE="go">
</FORM></BODY></HTML>
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
Re: Wiki discussion - Cannot login
« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2015, 09:02:28 AM »
I tried to log into the wiki, not remembering whether I have an acoount or not, and something strange happens :
- when I use the Login screen (assuming I have an account  :D), I'm told that FrogEater is unknown
- when I use the Sign In screen (assuming I don't have an account  :-X), I'm told that there already is a FrogEater user.

So ? Should I doubt my own existence ? Do I have an account or not ? Should I just create a new one with a slightly different name? Questions, questions, questions....
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #274 on: February 17, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »
a) I just notice that the city parameter isn't part of the URL's input part, so no way to accept that from a selector. >:(
b) Right now I don't have access to a web server I could put static HTML on. ??? Can you save the following quick demo in a *.html file and point your browser at it?

Code: [Select]
<HTML><BODY><FORM METHOD="GET" ACTION="http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/denmark/copenhagen">
        See sunrise/sunset etc. data for Copenhagen in
        <SELECT NAME="month">
                <OPTION VALUE="01">January</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="02">February</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="03">March</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="04">April</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="05">May</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="06">June</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="07">July</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="08">August</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="09">September</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="10">[turn of year]</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="10">October</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="11" SELECTED>November</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="12">December</OPTION>
        </SELECT>
        <SELECT NAME="year">
                <OPTION VALUE="2013">2013 (years -1/0)</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="2014">2014 (years 0/1)</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="2015">2015 (years 1/2)</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="2016">2016 (years 2/3)</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="2103" SELECTED>2103 (years 89/90)</OPTION>
                <OPTION VALUE="2104">2104 (years 90/91)</OPTION>
        </SELECT>
        <INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE="go">
</FORM></BODY></HTML>

Um, I mean, what would we use it FOR?

I tried to log into the wiki, not remembering whether I have an acoount or not, and something strange happens :
- when I use the Login screen (assuming I have an account  :D), I'm told that FrogEater is unknown
- when I use the Sign In screen (assuming I don't have an account  :-X), I'm told that there already is a FrogEater user.

So ? Should I doubt my own existence ? Do I have an account or not ? Should I just create a new one with a slightly different name? Questions, questions, questions....
Account creation is mostly the forte of the main site, Wikia, so we have no control over it. Your name doesn't show up in the list of contributing users, so I'm not sure what you could do...

I THINK  that same thing happened to JoB? Which is why he is JoB2 on the wiki?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

JoB

Re: Wiki discussion - Cannot login
« Reply #275 on: February 17, 2015, 11:07:33 AM »

Please note that
  • there is a single set of user(name)s across all Wikia wikis and
  • case sensitivity in wikis is ... complicated.

According to what I can see with a bit of trial and error, there is indeed no FrogEater, but a Frogeater, though the latter one seems to never have made any contribution to the SSSS Wiki.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #276 on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:53 AM »
Um, I mean, what would we use it FOR?
Hmmmm, it's a tool to determine how many hours/minutes of sunlight/danger our protagonists may have left in whatever situation they're currently in in the comic. Like, wild analogy, the historical info about Kastrup Fortet helps us speculate how safe their current position is ... After all, safety being dependent on temps and sunlight (and special effects like having no sun at all during the winter if you're sufficiently far North) is a major plot point ...

I THINK  that same thing happened to JoB? Which is why he is JoB2 on the wiki?
I tried to register+login as "JoB" and that somehow didn't work - as in, never. (I distinctly remember that it did not tell me that the username was already taken, though.) Like with "Frogeater" above, the look of the "JoB" user's page suggests that it has some form of existence. However, I registered as "JoB2" the same day, never having successfully logged in as "JoB".

FrogEater

• Ranger
« Reply #277 on: February 17, 2015, 11:32:36 AM »
Thanks to both of you :) I will create a slightly different username, then.

JoB

« Reply #278 on: February 17, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »
Thanks to both of you :) I will create a slightly different username, then.
Gone Latin, didn'tcha? ;)

JoB

« Reply #279 on: February 19, 2015, 06:43:22 PM »
There has been a request on the wiki whether we would want to add an article about "Magic" alongside "Mages". In a similar vein, I looked at "Mages" today, pondering how I might insert the facts about magic that we have so far - which mostly are about Lallis dreamworlds, with no info whether these are characteristic of all mages, just Finnish ones, or maybe even specific to Lalli (and Braidy?) alone. Can't say that I have much of an idea yet how to integrate that. Thoughts ... ?

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #280 on: February 19, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »
There has been a request on the wiki whether we would want to add an article about "Magic" alongside "Mages". In a similar vein, I looked at "Mages" today, pondering how I might insert the facts about magic that we have so far - which mostly are about Lallis dreamworlds, with no info whether these are characteristic of all mages, just Finnish ones, or maybe even specific to Lalli (and Braidy?) alone. Can't say that I have much of an idea yet how to integrate that. Thoughts ... ?

I'm probably talking out of line here since I haven't done anything on the Wiki, but...  what about a provisional article specifically headed "Speculation about Lalli's dreamworlds" as a sub-article to Mages?  That way, once you get more info, you can either confirm that Lalli's experience is typical of all Finnish mages (only Onni so far), or maybe *all* mages (incl. Braidy), or uniquely his.  And *then* slot it properly.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

JoB

« Reply #281 on: February 20, 2015, 07:34:18 AM »
what about a provisional article specifically headed "Speculation about Lalli's dreamworlds" as a sub-article to Mages?
It sure is a possibility, but there may be drawbacks:
  • (If you really mean subpages, like used for the documentation of most of our templates, they seem to be discouraged now.)
  • Plain users cannot delete articles (or rename them short of the old name becoming a redirect, cluttering the article list), that's an admin-only activity - and even then, it has already left a couple uncurable blemishes on our integrity checks ...

FrogEater

• Ranger
« Reply #282 on: February 22, 2015, 05:36:06 PM »
Gone Latin, genau !
Plain users cannot delete articles (or rename them short of the old name bIecoming a redirect, cluttering the article list)
Does that mean that even the initial author doesn't have any rights on the article?
If this is the case, what about giving this article a 'stable', definitive title (eg 'Magic') and have it begin with a warning in huge bold letters 'This article, as of page 273 of the comic, is only a compilation of a few facts ' ? (the important word here is 'facts')
Or, more simply, the whole thing could be delayed until we have a more solid knowledge.

JoB

« Reply #283 on: February 23, 2015, 10:53:59 AM »
Does that mean that even the initial author doesn't have any rights on the article?
The only "rights" that a wiki like ours recognizes are copyrights. The wiki in and of itself is being put under CC-BY-SA the moment material gets posted, though it might include material with less permissive copyrights as long as its use is covered by "fair use" provisions (which I claim whenever I post images from aRTD, as Minnas OK to use her art on the wiki was specifically for SSSS).

Exclusive "rights" to maintaining a page - nope. Wikia explicitly asks that even restriction to logged-in editing, while technically possible, should be avoided and vandalism just be reverted when it occurs. (There are straightforward "undo" links in the page's version history.)

If this is the case, what about giving this article a 'stable', definitive title (eg 'Magic') and have it begin with a warning in huge bold letters 'This article, as of page 273 of the comic, is only a compilation of a few facts ' ? (the important word here is 'facts')
Or, more simply, the whole thing could be delayed until we have a more solid knowledge.
Pretty much everything we wrote up on the wiki is provisional and pending further, even contradictory, info from Minna; and yes, having things stated as "fact" for the storyverse (or obviously deduced from that) is the wiki's guideline, anyway. There are several different technical implementations of working around the uncertainty, though. From "The Rash" and "The Illness" being separate articles (as it hasn't been stated yet that they are indeed identical) to somewhat awkward phrasing to explicitly saying "we don't know yet" to empty sections to redlinks (which indicate that we know that something's a topic that'll merit its own article, if only we had the knowledge to write it) ...

Back to the topic at hand, it's not like we can avoid renamings and redirections altogether, but.

FrogEater

• Ranger
« Reply #284 on: February 23, 2015, 11:05:06 AM »
Thank you for all these enlightments. Practically speaking, do you feel I can write some kind of a stub, draft, provisional article... or would it be wiser to wait a little more?