Author Topic: Wiki discussion  (Read 53938 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Wiki discussion
« Reply #255 on: December 07, 2014, 01:25:21 PM »
Could we change the colors, at least? Is that an option?
Not right now, and possibly never. There are CSS snippets floating around to "fix" the snowbar, but putting them into a wiki's global config is considered a violation of the Wikia terms and conditions.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #256 on: December 07, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »
Not right now, and possibly never. There are CSS snippets floating around to "fix" the snowbar, but putting them into a wiki's global config is considered a violation of the Wikia terms and conditions.
*grumbles* I guess it's just something we'll have to live with... (I was about to say "for now" but it's more like "for the rest of our lives")
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

JoB

« Reply #257 on: December 16, 2014, 09:29:43 PM »
*grumbles* I guess it's just something we'll have to live with... (I was about to say "for now" but it's more like "for the rest of our lives")
Woo hoo! For their next trick, Wikia shall manhandle the entire article layout! Rejoyce, everybody!
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #258 on: December 16, 2014, 09:34:12 PM »
Woo hoo! For their next trick, Wikia shall manhandle the entire article layout! Rejoyce, everybody!
ohhhhhh my god >_< Whyyyy
Whyyyy

I don't understand
ugh
*throws things*

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #259 on: December 17, 2014, 05:10:28 PM »

Oh, joy...

*follows the link to the Tardis Data Core in the link JoB provided*... Is that the layout? Because it's really ugly... I like this one, why do we have to change it?
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

« Reply #260 on: December 17, 2014, 07:20:09 PM »
I like this one, why do we have to change it?
Right now, we don't and even can't. But given their track record with "experimental" updates, it's a fair bet that Wikia will flat out ignore hundreds of comments in protest of the change and shoehorn it into every Wikia wiki as soon as they're done "successfully testing" it.

And no, I didn't dare looking at the new layout with my adblocker turned off yet. According to some of the comments, the changes include ad banners that come floating into the article text .......

JoB

« Reply #261 on: December 22, 2014, 11:03:26 AM »
How did I manage to accidentally upload an old-ish screenshot onto the wiki? :-[

http://sssscomic.wikia.com/wiki/File:20140913.upcoming.png

While I'm posting on the subject, maybe an admin could please mjölnir 87.jpg and Skald.png as well, they've both gotten replaced by edited and differently-named pictures in their "native" articles ...

http://sssscomic.wikia.com/wiki/Special:UnusedFiles

Nimphy

« Reply #262 on: December 26, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »

While I'm posting on the subject, maybe an admin could please mjölnir 87.jpg and Skald.png as well, they've both gotten replaced by edited and differently-named pictures in their "native" articles ...

http://sssscomic.wikia.com/wiki/Special:UnusedFiles

Done, Mjolnir'd.

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

« Reply #263 on: December 26, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
Quote from: SSSSWiki deletion log
21:18, December 26, 2014 Nimphy I (wall | contribs) deleted page File:20140913.upcoming.png (I'll miss this, but it was a Request by our most best contributor, not gonna question it)
Done, Mjolnir'd.
Thanks, and have fun with the fresh crate of irony you apparently got for Christmas. ;D

(It didn't happen to have a tag with a blue dot attached to it, did it?)

JoB

News from the Wiki
« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2015, 02:51:48 PM »
Bulk update ... :

1. Wikia announced some upcoming changes to the global navbar, namely, that it'll get shrunk to 7/8 the height and turn inverted+transparent when you scroll down the page (example at page top and scrolled down screenshots). On the flip side, they seem to have the "start a wikia" button and the user menu switch places, so you'll find yourself founding Yet Another Wikia (tm) when you actually wanted to log in. :-\ (No further news on the revamped article layout a.k.a. Venus so far.)

2. More than half of the Kastrup article is taken up by the description of the building our heroes are currently at, which IMHO suggests splitting it off into an article of its own. However, we still don't have a name other than "spot 24" for it. Any suggestions ... ?

3. No comment or worthwhile activity around the Dalahästen giant article since I dropped all sorts of "needs improvement" markers on it almost two months ago. Quite frankly, I don't see anything in it that we'ld want to move into another article, or preserve otherwise - it's a renarration of the comic top to bottom. Agree to wholesale delete ... ?

4. Speaking of deletions, in this case of redirects, may I repeat my suggestion to:
* delete the singular-to-plural ones (Beast, Giant, Skald, Troll),
* delete the first-to-full-name ones (Lalli, Tuuri),
* delete the three "RedirectionToCategory ..." ones (I replaced them with working direct links in the templates),
* discuss whether to keep the article-ful or article-less version of "(The) Paddlewheeler" and "(The) Timbercruiser",
* discuss whether we want to create "XYZ (disambiguation)" redirects to every (currently only one) disambiguation page "XYZ" (like Wikipedia does) to avoid the phony "lonely page" listings,
* keep the fifteen ASCII-to-special-characters redirects (as they're the only way for users who can't type in the special characters to search for the affected articles), and, of course,
* keep the "Main Page" redirection (part of a Wikia wiki's essential infrastructure).

Solovei

• Tumblr
Re: News from the Wiki
« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2015, 01:37:36 PM »
* delete the singular-to-plural ones (Beast, Giant, Skald, Troll),
* delete the first-to-full-name ones (Lalli, Tuuri),
* delete the three "RedirectionToCategory ..." ones (I replaced them with working direct links in the templates),

OKAY, finally did this. I am THE WORST admin, sorry guys.
I like that little table giving the links on the main page. Any thoughts on whether we should put the IRC information there as well?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:41:00 PM by Solovei »

JoB

Re: News from the Wiki
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2015, 07:50:52 AM »
Any thoughts on whether we should put the IRC information there as well?
I'm not using any of the chats, so I don't have much of an idea which subset to put there, not to mention that I'm not sure that there is an established syntax for hyperlinks to IRC servers ...

Someone edited the main characters' pages, including not only some details I'ld like to correct (*) but also getting a lot closer to outright renarration with the "History" sections. Thoughts ... ?

(*) In particular, implying that the Drogden tunnel is a route around the now-broken Öresundsbro and stating that "spot 24" is a public library.

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2015, 02:45:18 PM »
Hopefully my addition of uniform things wasn't a problem?
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Nimphy

« Reply #268 on: February 13, 2015, 02:46:21 PM »
*Nim suddenly remembered that there's a wiki* Ugh, I am the worst founder ever. I'll get to work...

Tomorrow.

Also, JoB, I like the new character pages. They're more complete, and as I meant them to be originally. Lots of wikis have a renrration of the events on the history section.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:49:32 PM by Nimphy »

JoB

« Reply #269 on: February 13, 2015, 08:11:29 PM »
I asked for technical advice on Community Central how to put a web form onto the wiki - namely, select location, year, and month from drop-down menus, click the "go" button, and get sent to http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/denmark/copenhagen?month=11&year=2103 or whatever. It seems that such a feature would need an admin to setup and maintain. Would there be interest in that?