Author Topic: Cosplay  (Read 144676 times)

chaelcodes

Re: Cosplay
« Reply #435 on: December 02, 2015, 11:36:34 PM »
Try parting it in the middle, and you can flip the ends out using a straightener by holding the straightener horizontally with the hair pointing out. I find leave in conditioner promotes a solid hold, and prevents damage to your hair.
:artd:   :book1+:   :chap6:   :chap7:   :chap8:   :chap9:   :chap10: :chap11:

LordoftheThings

• Tumblr
  • what's a "forum"? can I eat it?
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #436 on: December 03, 2015, 12:08:10 AM »
Okay so I've finished the styling, and I'm sad to report that apparently in the time it has taken me to procrastinate trying to style my hair like sigrun, it got too long to actually pull it off

At least it was a good test run to figure out how to get in a flare and starting to figure out how to get the bangs to do the thing

also I now look fabulous
Native: :usa:
Know a Little: :france:
Need to work on learning: :iceland:
I have the rosetta stone why Don't I know this: :netherlands:

Over the Hills and Faraway
For ten long years he'll count the days
Over the mountains, and the seas
A prisoners life for him there'll be

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #437 on: December 03, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »

At least it was a good test run to figure out how to get in a flare and starting to figure out how to get the bangs to do the thing

also I now look fabulous

It looks good.

Lots of hair gel?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

LordoftheThings

• Tumblr
« Reply #438 on: December 03, 2015, 03:03:23 PM »
It looks good.

Lots of hair gel?

Not a drop this time round actually
Might try some hair spray once I get everything shorter

everything up there is the result of a round brush, a blow dryer, and a little of the flat iron~

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #439 on: December 04, 2015, 09:45:51 AM »
I thought to try it for fun with anything I have..... which means red ballpoint pen xD
but then I found a super old dark-red rouge of mine (never used for real xD) and that made a really cool effect on it and looked less like a pen doodle on arm xD
I would try it again later with cosplay on, or something.

(sheety camera is sheety)

EDIT:
My mum did some sample for the Sigrun Sweater, we tried to find out how to make it, mostly will be with this crosses I guess.

very early wip pic...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 01:57:37 PM by Martti Kakkiainen »
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

LordoftheThings

• Tumblr
« Reply #440 on: December 04, 2015, 02:32:48 PM »
I thought to try it for fun with anything I have..... which means red ballpoint pen xD
but then I found a super old dark-red rouge of mine (never used for real xD) and that made a really cool effect on it and looked less like a pen doodle on arm xD
I would try it again later with cosplay on, or something.

yoooo those scars look really good, the rouge made an amazing effect

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #441 on: December 04, 2015, 04:03:19 PM »
Martti: nice job on texturing those scars. I have seen something similar done with stage makeup, with the addition of irregular patches of a purplish-brown colour, and a little yellow blending int grey, between the rows of stitching, to give the effect of bruised wounds. I wouldn't have thought of doing that with rouge, but it does work.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #442 on: December 05, 2015, 07:04:42 AM »
Martti: nice job on texturing those scars. I have seen something similar done with stage makeup, with the addition of irregular patches of a purplish-brown colour, and a little yellow blending int grey, between the rows of stitching, to give the effect of bruised wounds. I wouldn't have thought of doing that with rouge, but it does work.
oh, yeah, I was told that I  am like my grandfather was, we both are/were really creative with anything we had. literally (you had to see my fav shoes and stuffs.... or I think I posted on the forum how I fixed the hole on my pocket of my trousers xD)

I just looked at this old rouge, this had pretty good colour for it, blended with fingers, also added some different coloured red/black pen. well, if I look around a bit more, I could use other stuffs for making the scars look more realistic, by using like markers or something,
a stage makeup, that I usually see in tutorials too sometimes, they are really expensive.
I actually see an easy tutorial for scar, which was using mostly watercolours or other painting stuffs, that I could try, but I have no watercolours (since I can't paint at all)....

yoooo those scars look really good, the rouge made an amazing effect

thanks!
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

LadyRamkin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #443 on: December 05, 2015, 11:30:47 AM »
Okay so fluffy Turri hair is a go! I feels really weird with out my glasses.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #444 on: December 05, 2015, 08:56:51 PM »
Okay so fluffy Turri hair is a go! I feels really weird with out my glasses.

OH GOSH YOU'RE SUCH A CUTE PERF TUURI
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #445 on: December 06, 2015, 07:28:33 AM »

An undertunic for the Norwegian uniform Sigrun cosplay. Some notes:

- I'm hoping to also wear this piece for viking reenactments, so I tried to make it in as correctly Medieval way as possible. No doubt Y90 people would actually have sewing machines at their use but I went for hand-sewing for the whole piece.
- Practicality was an important factor here: the garment has to allow unrestricted movement but also be warm and durable.
- It had to be cost-effective too, my guess is that the price of fabric would have gone up quite a bit by Y90.
- It really didn't need any embroidery what so ever but I'm a needle maniac and most likely the tunic will somehow develop even more decorations if no one stops me.

Ok, then for technical details and a gazillion photos of the shirt itself in a spoiler cut!

Spoiler: show

The undertunic laid out so you get a better idea of the general form of it. Almost no fabric went to waste when cutting it, I should probably draw you a graph on how I cut the shirt... let's just say that when I realized how it works I had that feeling you get in tetris when you finally get that long red piece.

This is the part that makes moving your arms around really easy, the extra rectangle that goes under the arm. It also allows the rest of the shirt to sit tightly across the chest meaning you'll need less fabric while sacrificing nothing movement-wise.

Side view.

Seams, front and back. There's in total three stitch lines each seam: first of all, making a single line of stitches results in a seam that tears easily and the gap between fabrics allows warmth to leak out and cold air to sneak in. In many Medieval garments seams are felled one way or another. It's a lot more work but imo worth it.

The collar. Again warmth and coverage are important functions, I wanted a collar that closes very close to the throat both so it doesn't let cold air in and to cover up well (Y90 clothes seem to be designed to expose as little skin as possible). It doesn't show well in the photo but the collar is tied on both sides with strings and is cut open on the right hand side.

Collar view.

Not much done embroidery-wise but all of it technically unnecessary. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #446 on: December 06, 2015, 08:51:27 AM »
- I'm hoping to also wear this piece for viking reenactments

A Sigruny pastime worthy of a Sigruny costume.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #447 on: December 06, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »

- I'm hoping to also wear this piece for viking reenactments, so I tried to make it in as correctly Medieval way as possible. No doubt Y90 people would actually have sewing machines at their use but I went for hand-sewing for the whole piece.
- Practicality was an important factor here: the garment has to allow unrestricted movement but also be warm and durable.
- It had to be cost-effective too, my guess is that the price of fabric would have gone up quite a bit by Y90.
- It really didn't need any embroidery what so ever but I'm a needle maniac and most likely the tunic will somehow develop even more decorations if no one stops me.

Ok, then for technical details and a gazillion photos of the shirt itself in a spoiler cut!

Spoiler: show

The undertunic laid out so you get a better idea of the general form of it. Almost no fabric went to waste when cutting it, I should probably draw you a graph on how I cut the shirt... let's just say that when I realized how it works I had that feeling you get in tetris when you finally get that long red piece.

This is the part that makes moving your arms around really easy, the extra rectangle that goes under the arm. It also allows the rest of the shirt to sit tightly across the chest meaning you'll need less fabric while sacrificing nothing movement-wise.

Side view.

Seams, front and back. There's in total three stitch lines each seam: first of all, making a single line of stitches results in a seam that tears easily and the gap between fabrics allows warmth to leak out and cold air to sneak in. In many Medieval garments seams are felled one way or another. It's a lot more work but imo worth it.

The collar. Again warmth and coverage are important functions, I wanted a collar that closes very close to the throat both so it doesn't let cold air in and to cover up well (Y90 clothes seem to be designed to expose as little skin as possible). It doesn't show well in the photo but the collar is tied on both sides with strings and is cut open on the right hand side.

Collar view.

Not much done embroidery-wise but all of it technically unnecessary. :D

Oh, that's nicely well done indeed!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #448 on: December 06, 2015, 09:01:16 PM »

*eyes laufey's shoes...* *scoots closer*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #449 on: December 07, 2015, 01:20:14 AM »
A Sigruny pastime worthy of a Sigruny costume.
Oh, that's nicely well done indeed!

Thank you and yes indeed!

*eyes laufey's shoes...* *scoots closer*

My shoe size is 37-38. :P
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 01:29:32 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: